IGNORED

How Do I tell what version of TOS I have on ROM?

Rockin' Kat

Hi,

I have a 520ST^M... a 520ST with a built in RF modulator and soldered on RAM chips.... how do I tell what version of TOS is on ROM?

And while I'm at it... I'm investigating upgrading the RAM on this thing... and theres some upgrade board but it's supposed to be easier to install if the MMU and Video Shifter chips are socketed.... but I don't even know what I'm looking for.. anyone who knows, want to mark them on a copy of the huge picture I've atatched?

post-210-1221125745_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I have a 520ST^M... a 520ST with a built in RF modulator and soldered on RAM chips.... how do I tell what version of TOS is on ROM?

There is several method to determine TOS version. Probably best is to using program Sysinfo.

According to pic you have TOS 1.00 .

MMU is socketed square chip near to middle. Shiftr is right, under shield, 40 pins, always socketed. (At least I did not see otherwise ever). Good luck in finding suitable board :) .

Edited by ppera

Hi,

And while I'm at it... I'm investigating upgrading the RAM on this thing... and theres some upgrade board but it's supposed to be easier to install if the MMU and Video Shifter chips are socketed.... but I don't even know what I'm looking for.. anyone who knows, want to mark them on a copy of the huge picture I've atatched?

I have TOS 1.04 for sale for your 520ST, and I live in Tacoma! pm me if interested!!

Can Different TOS versions be loaded from floppy after starting up? It would appear I'm reading that some games won't work from some versions of TOS.

I think I'll probably take you up on those TOS 1.4 ROMs or 1.04 whichever one you ment to say.

Edited by Rockin' Kat

Can Different TOS versions be loaded from floppy after starting up? It would appear I'm reading that some games won't work from some versions of TOS.

You need more than 512KB of RAM to may load TOS in RAM.

For gaming TOS in RAM is not good idea, may work, but not in all problematic cases.

Btw. TOS 1.0 is best for gaming (among with 1.02) . So, you will have more problems with later versions as 1.04, and especially with 2.06. Yes, 2.06 is far the best, but for gaming not.

This is it. You can not have everything at once...

Except of course if make TOS switcher.

http://www.ppest.org/atari/flashest.php

• 7 years later...