IGNORED

VGA vs HDMI

kisrael

So, I thought I was "beating the system" by getting a $8 HDMI cable rather than than the $50 gamestop special (btw, it's pretty jawdropping what a fiasco that whole cable ripoff market is... thanks Monster Cable!) but neither had the red and white stereo outs (I use a projector w/o speakers or audio out) that the $50 360 plug has.

So I was thinking about going ahead and upgrading to an HDMI-capable sound system, but the only ones w/ pass throughs seemed pretty expensive.

Then I saw another option, the $40 VGA cable, w/ stereo line out.

Before opening the package, I did some research, and it seems like VGA compares pretty well w/ HDMI. Despite feeling that it might be good to upgrade past component, I'm not THAT much a picture wonk, and it seems like most people think VGA is as good or better. Is there any reason to think I'm seriously missing out by going VGA instead of HDMI? If nothing else I have more potential screens that have VGA in than have HDMI plugs...

So, I thought I was "beating the system" by getting a $8 HDMI cable rather than than the $50 gamestop special (btw, it's pretty jawdropping what a fiasco that whole cable ripoff market is... thanks Monster Cable!) but neither had the red and white stereo outs (I use a projector w/o speakers or audio out) that the $50 360 plug has.

So I was thinking about going ahead and upgrading to an HDMI-capable sound system, but the only ones w/ pass throughs seemed pretty expensive.

Then I saw another option, the $40 VGA cable, w/ stereo line out.

Before opening the package, I did some research, and it seems like VGA compares pretty well w/ HDMI. Despite feeling that it might be good to upgrade past component, I'm not THAT much a picture wonk, and it seems like most people think VGA is as good or better. Is there any reason to think I'm seriously missing out by going VGA instead of HDMI? If nothing else I have more potential screens that have VGA in than have HDMI plugs...

Component video is perfectly capable of handling a high definition signal. HDMI is nice for convenience if you like everything (ie music, video, and copy protection ;) ) in one cable, but you will not gain any appreciable difference in my opinion.

If your stereo took HDMI, there are places (newegg, ebay, etc. ) to get cables cheaper, but since your stereo doesn't handle it, why bother with it?

I also play my 360 on a projector system (Infocus IN76 720p DLP pj). I have been using VGA cable for some time and am happy with it. You can use optical sound output with the VGA cable for Dolby Digital. The rundown basically goes like this.

Regulations state that DVD cannot be upscaled over analog cables. Component cables fall into that category as the signal is converted to analog, goes across the cable as analog, and is converted to digital at the display. So, as analog cables, regulations do not allow upscaling DVD content over component. There is an exception made for VGA for obvious reasons (it's use with computers.) When a DVD is inserted with VGA or HDMI cables the resolution will not be changed The 360's scaler will be used to upscale the DVD's (and the 360 has a great hardware scaler surpassing most any sub-$3500 pj.) When a DVD is inserted with component the display will change to 480p. So...

Composite, S-Video, Component = No DVD upscaling

VGA, DVI, HDMI = DVD upscaling

Further, HD-DVD's are only allowed to display up to 1080i resolution on any connection that isn't HDMI. The reason for this is that HDMI provides the HDCP communication required for the HD-DVD copy protection to determine the authenticity of the display. So, when using component or VGA with HD-DVD the display will change to 1080i or less if your set to use 1080p. The content will be downscaled. With HDMI HD-DVD will display in 1080p. So...

Composite, S-Video = Why are you using HD-DVD?

Component, VGA = HD-DVD at resolution up to 1080i

HDMI = HD-DVD at full 1080p

Finally, the question of gaming resolution. If you have HD capable cables the 360 will output all other content at HD resolutions up to, and including, 1080p. The only problem is that many displays do not support 1080p with component cables and will only properly display up to 1080i. This is becoming less of an issue with newer displays. With VGA you will pretty much have a choice of any resolution the display supports (which is usually much more then the standard high definition resolutions.)

The ultimate goal is to match your output resolution to your native display resolution. Removing the need for the display to scale the image is going to provide the best possible picture and the fastest image (which means less compensation for lag in games like Rock Band and more accuracy in games like COD4.) People think they should simply set the console to the highest resolution they are allowed but that is simply not true. A 1080p image does not look better then a 720p image on a 720p display. You are looking at the same number of pixels regardless. The difference is that the 1080p image needs to be scaled while the 720p image does not. Even worse is when someone selects 1080i on their 720p display. Now the image has to be scaled and de-interlaced. That is simply not efficient. So, will you see a difference with a solution that is digital across-the-line as opposed to VGA or component which has an analog conversion? Not really. Match up your output resolution to your display resolution and the picture quality is going to be pretty similar with all those cables. But, you may be further removing lag by removing the analog-to-digital conversion with an all-digital solution like hdmi. The major benefits are the ones outlined above (plus the single cable solution HDMI provides if your sound system supports it.)

If you had bought the official cables though you would have support for optical and RCA with your hdmi cable: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360hdmiavcable/

Edited by Hyper_Eye

Thanks for the info

My projector is an Optoma HD65... it accepts signals up to 1080p but its native resoultion is 1280x720, so I'll take your advice and set the Xbox at that.

Yeah, I'm kind of ticked at GameStop... not only are they in the "hey get this awesome cable for only $50!" club that Best Buy, Radio Shack, and pretty much everyone are in, but they forget to mention that for the same price, the actual thing from Microsoft would give me more options.

I think the VGA cables have a digital audio out along with L/R Stereo, so while the Stereo is good enough for now if I go for surroundish stuff it'll be pretty easy I think. Plus like I said, I have more monitors etc/ w VGA in than I do w/ HDMI.

The one projector effect I wish I could 'fix'; it automatically compensates for really bright light, so in games w/ big explosions sometimes after the screen dims for a bit... (EDF 2017 had this all over the place) -- it's a cool and semi-realistic effect, but annoying and potentially in-game dangerous...

Thanks for the info

My projector is an Optoma HD65... it accepts signals up to 1080p but its native resoultion is 1280x720, so I'll take your advice and set the Xbox at that.

Yeah, I'm kind of ticked at GameStop... not only are they in the "hey get this awesome cable for only $50!" club that Best Buy, Radio Shack, and pretty much everyone are in, but they forget to mention that for the same price, the actual thing from Microsoft would give me more options.

I think the VGA cables have a digital audio out along with L/R Stereo, so while the Stereo is good enough for now if I go for surroundish stuff it'll be pretty easy I think. Plus like I said, I have more monitors etc/ w VGA in than I do w/ HDMI.

The one projector effect I wish I could 'fix'; it automatically compensates for really bright light, so in games w/ big explosions sometimes after the screen dims for a bit... (EDF 2017 had this all over the place) -- it's a cool and semi-realistic effect, but annoying and potentially in-game dangerous...

The VGA cables do have optical output. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/

When you say the pj compensates for bright light are you saying that you play with lights on or that it compensates for bright flashes in the picture? I have been using a pj for a few years and haven't noticed what your referring to. I am wondering if you are talking about a feature that can be disabled. I immediately thought of dynamic contrast ratio but I don't believe the HD65 has DCR. The HD65 is a pretty nice unit.

For my PJ I accidentally said IN72 but that is a 480p pj. I have the IN76 which is 720p. I typo'd.

Edited by Hyper_Eye

Thanks for the info

When you say the pj compensates for bright light are you saying that you play with lights on or that it compensates for bright flashes in the picture? I have been using a pj for a few years and haven't noticed what your referring to. I am wondering if you are talking about a feature that can be disabled. I immediately thought of dynamic contrast ratio but I don't believe the HD65 has DCR. The HD65 is a pretty nice unit.

It seems like something like dynamic contrast ratio...

take something like EDF 2017 (great game btw) - split screen, one player does some insane explosive thing, so bright light is filling half the screen, both sides of the split screen compensate so the other player can barely see anything for a few moments.

I hunted around the menus but couldn't find anything relevant.

HD65 is pretty nice. It replaced my old InFocus ScreenPlay 4800, and while I felt a little fooled that it doesn't quite have the resolution for pure 1080p, it doesn't have that thing that the InFocus did where suddenly the contrast looks really great and the picture more detailed during a fade-to-black... I guess that's the contrast ratio?

Anyway, fun to talk a little tech here, 'cause I'm not generally super hardcore about things - but I do love projectors

Why pay 50$ for a hdmi cable, i bought a 5 euro hdmi cable and it give the same quality as a gold plated overpriced hdmi cable.

Yeah, I realized the error of my ways and rerturned the overprice crap to gamestop and ordered one online-

but the $5 HDMI cables DON'T have Stereo L/R out like the official Xbox plug does, so if your sound system doesn't have HDMI, you're out of luck.