IGNORED

Paddle and Joystick USB

istorch

post-20865-1221424889_thumb.jpgpost-20865-1221424808_thumb.jpg

Controller looks better than picture in real life!

Ok, there is no "real comment on how to use old atari controllers on a pc. This has come to take up my life for the past few months.

I looked at everyone's suggestions all over the net. I tried every combination of ideas. . . this is what finally worked-

1) there is no Stella Adapter in production from this site

2) The joystick was easy. I hacked an atari joystick and a genesis joystick into a genie junky pc joystick. with a sodering gun.

then I bought a project box from radioshack, mounted it inside, drilled a few holes and woala! good to go- not as easy as i'm describing

but worked

3) paddles- not easy!!!! I used a driving controller, a paddle controller- hacked the driving controller into a mouse- the paddle

into an analog joystick. . . no go! Finally I opened the paddle (tennis) and used the potentiometer as a "disk"

I mounted the top of the joystick to (a trusty radioshack) project box. I then bought a "ball mouse" and with a drummel I got for my birthday

made mince meat out of it. Final goal: have the x-axis "dial" sticking up- I hacked the button into the mouse and mounted it in the box,

then mounted the mouse guts with the x-axis sticking out when the box was closed. I then glue the x-axis dial into the potentiomenter and

there you have it.

It obviously is not perfect, but is basically a "spinner" in a box- with the basic look of an atari paddle. Works great on Mame. Not so well on

Stella as even with the mouse sensitivity cranked all of the way up, it's still not sensitive enough. . . . maybe someone has advice on this.

anyway, it works perfectly in mame for arkanoid and any other spinner games and I'm happy to have a working paddle.

I have a few leftover ball mouse and broken paddles if someone needs it for their project.

email with any questions and good luck.

I

Edited by istorch