IGNORED

How many colors on screen?

MN12BIRD

I've been wondering how many colors the 2600 could display on screen. For such an old system there are a few games that have surprised me with many variants of colors. Example in Pole Position you get 3 cars on screen at a time all different colors and it seems like each car has 6 or so colors on them! Really looks nice. Most games seem so limited to only a few so its curios. Surley programming and CPU power come into play but if someone wanted to cram all the colors on screen at once for a demo or whatever it could look nice!

Attached a simple demo displaying all colors at once.

You can also get extra colors by flickering between any two of the 128 colors (or if you're using the Chronocolor method, between any three of the 128 colors). This has its limitations of course. Anyway, here's a demo that shows 240 colors-- 15 shades of the 16 hues. I also have one I can post later tonight that (if I remember correctly) shows 480 colors at once-- 15 shades of 32 hues.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1357638

Michael

Edited by SeaGtGruff

Okay, here is my "480 colors at once" demo. I think this must be my second version of it. My original version alternated the colors from line to line-- i.e., as if the even lines were "frame 0" and the odd lines were from "frame 1," and then vice versa on the next frame (interlaced flickering). But when I viewed it on my HD LCD TV, the scan lines looked too fat. So I rewrote it to flicker the two frames without interlacing their lines together, and the lines looked thinner, resulting in a better blending of the colors.

Anyway, I admit that flickering between colors to get additional colors has its limitations, and this display is really little more than a pretty trick without much practical use, but I wanted to see what the "in-between" hues look like! :) It's written with inline assembly, even though it's a batari Basic program.

Michael

post-7456-1221545974_thumb.png + post-7456-1221545988_thumb.png = post-7456-1221545962_thumb.png

480_Colors.bas

480_Colors.bas.bin