IGNORED

Intellivision 2609A Malfunction Problem

ClassicGMR

I am reposting this here as my first post was in the wrong forum area. :ponder:

---

I have recently gotten an Intellivision model 2609A from eBay. I actually wanted to bid on this auction specifically for the system changer it pictured but never mentioned(yep I got it) and the couple of games I didn't have. Overall I think I got a decent package deal. :)

The system has a couple of flaws that may actually be the same flaw. Maybe someone here can recognize it...

I cleaned it up and powered it on. The system turns on fine BUT the display "vibrates". Picture your cell phone on a counter set to vibrate and it goes off. This is what the picture does.

I can stop it by pulling out the RF cable and reseating it. The picture then is fine until I have to reset or turn off the system. Then it is back to square one. This is constant.

The other problem is that after playing it for 8-10 minutes I get a solid screen full of color. In this case I was playing Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack. When the system locked up I got a solid screen of the background cream/yellow color. This is also reproducible.

Edited by ClassicGMR

I cleaned it up and powered it on. The system turns on fine BUT the display "vibrates". Picture your cell phone on a counter set to vibrate and it goes off. This is what the picture does.

I can stop it by pulling out the RF cable and reseating it. The picture then is fine until I have to reset or turn off the system. Then it is back to square one. This is constant.

I've noticed my systems have drifted "off center" for channels 3 and 4. It interacts poorly with the automatic fine tuning on modern TVs. The symptoms are usu. poor reception (hazy picture, buzzing on the sound, sometimes fail to sync with the picture). Have you tried changing channels and changing back? Does that have the same effect as removing the RF cable and reseating it?

The other problem is that after playing it for 8-10 minutes I get a solid screen full of color. In this case I was playing Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack. When the system locked up I got a solid screen of the background cream/yellow color. This is also reproducible.

That sounds like a more generic crash, probably due to some component getting too warm.

I think you're right at a high level that the causes are the same. Electrolytic capacitors can "dry out," losing capacitance. That would cause both symptoms, but it'd be different capacitors I'd reckon.

Anyone else with insights?

I've noticed my systems have drifted "off center" for channels 3 and 4. It interacts poorly with the automatic fine tuning on modern TVs. The symptoms are usu. poor reception (hazy picture, buzzing on the sound, sometimes fail to sync with the picture). Have you tried changing channels and changing back? Does that have the same effect as removing the RF cable and reseating it?

Nope. I have tried changing the RF selector to 3 and 4 and back repeatedly while the system is on. It doesn't alleviate the shaking at all. Also - just FYI - I tried this on channels 3 and 4 and it does it on both stations.

My Intellivision II doesn't do this at all.

That sounds like a more generic crash, probably due to some component getting too warm.

I think you're right at a high level that the causes are the same. Electrolytic capacitors can "dry out," losing capacitance. That would cause both symptoms, but it'd be different capacitors I'd reckon.

Anyone else with insights?

I actually got to play Vectron for over 1/2 hour without it shutting down today. First time it didn't lock up on me.

Nope. I have tried changing the RF selector to 3 and 4 and back repeatedly while the system is on. It doesn't alleviate the shaking at all. Also - just FYI - I tried this on channels 3 and 4 and it does it on both stations.

I meant changing channels on the TV. Some TV's AFTs behave oddly with my Intellivision. If I turn the TV on before the Intellivision, I'll get a crappy signal on the TV. But, if I turn the channel on the TV and turn back, it's fine. I suspect the reason, in part is that the center frequency for the RF modulator's shifted far enough that the AFT won't capture it after it's "settled in" on the station. But, if you tune away and tune back, it makes a wider sweep and hones in on the Intellivision.

That's the main thing I can think of. The only other thing I can think of is that you could be getting a crummy ground on the RF connector, but I don't think that'd do this.

I actually got to play Vectron for over 1/2 hour without it shutting down today. First time it didn't lock up on me.

I don't know what's more amazing... that it's starting to behave, or that you played Vectron for a full half hour. :-)

I meant changing channels on the TV. Some TV's AFTs behave oddly with my Intellivision. If I turn the TV on before the Intellivision, I'll get a crappy signal on the TV. But, if I turn the channel on the TV and turn back, it's fine. I suspect the reason, in part is that the center frequency for the RF modulator's shifted far enough that the AFT won't capture it after it's "settled in" on the station. But, if you tune away and tune back, it makes a wider sweep and hones in on the Intellivision.

Yeah I tried that as well. I just did something different that makes me think the RF issue is on my TV side though...

My newer TV is what I have been using this on. I hooked it up to my Emerson 20" SDTV Model CR202EM8 and this is where I have been seeing the shaking issue. Now my INTV II, NES, SNES and N64 all work fine on this tv. The INTV II, NES, SNES and 3DO all share the RF cable - I swap it to whatever system I am using at the time. That's why I didn't think anything of it. HOWEVER...

I just hooked it up to my 27" Daewoo DTQ-27U4SC. It's an older model from 2004 so it doesn't have the SD decoders installed. It doesn't jump at all. Works every time I boot it. It HAS to be that the Daewoo tuner doesn't like the RF modulation coming from the Intellivision. Well I guess that's one mystery solved. :roll:

I don't know what's more amazing... that it's starting to behave, or that you played Vectron for a full half hour. :-)

I still don't know how exactly. I was just running what I had handy to test it. It seems like an interesting game but I should read the instructions. I just kept making 4-point boxes, shooting squiggles and starting new games when the game decided I lost. :D

• 2 weeks later...