IGNORED

Picked up a Telegames DINA (Coleco clone)

GonzoCV-1

Opened it up before I even tried it.

Some observations:

1. Uses the TMS9118 chip instead of the 9128. That means it outputs native composite video instead of color differencing. Interestingly, there is no heatsink on this chip even though it is sinked on a Colecovision and on various computer platforms where it was used.

2. Its looks to have the correct diode array for the keypad, which suggests it outputs the same logic to the system, just not from a controller. I'll have to analyze and trace it in some detail to see if the problem with using Coleco controllers is as simple as running a wire to the right pins at the junction. Honestly, this thing is used though in the box, so I'm not exited about messing with it too much -- perhaps I'll look for another to donate to the interests of science.

3. Video memory is accomplished by only two chips instead of the typical 8 chips. Kind of cool.

4. I see an extra ROM on the board, which means that one is for the BIOS and the other is for the built in "meteoric shower" game.

5. Power supply utilizes a 7805 with a decent sized heatsink. I haven't hit it with a multimeter to see if its also supplying negative voltage, which I think is necessary for the controllers on the original system. Also the "glue blob" on the wire from the power supply board to the main PCB is a bit thick so I can't tell if it only supplies the 5v or if its delivering 12 volts too (although the only thing using 12V on the original Colecovision would be the 4116 ram chips.

6. The controllers look a lot like 1st gen Nintendo Famicon controllers. Two buttons, etc.

7. The RF adaptor is located on the same board as the internal power supply.

8. The layout is very efficient, a pretty good design. Much smaller than the original Colecovision board.

So, there you go. Just my first impressions.

Edited by GonzoCV-1

Very intersting, I always been interested in this ColecoVision compatible clone. That chip you mention that is not heat sinked? Maybe you should heat sink it as I have heard these systems to be very un-reliable and dying after continuous play, maybe that is the problem? Any chance you could post pics?