IGNORED

5200 My New Proto Controller......It's smaller..

ninermaniac

I had some time on my hands today and thought to myself, "Ill see if I can use a stock controller and make it smaller. Something like a thumbstick controller." Obviously I used a stock controller for parts but used a much smaller project box to make it. Took me a little longer because of all the modifications to make the controllers pots sections of the controller to fit. About 3 hours from start to finish. I plan on making more but I am going to use the small push buttons like I used for the Start, Pause and Reset buttons on this one for all the buttons on it also. I was in a rush to finish so I didn't get the holes straight . I just eyeballed this one and didn't measure out like I usually do. I think I need glasses. :D Check it out! :cool:

I had some time on my hands today and thought to myself, "Ill see if I can use a stock controller and make it smaller. Something like a thumbstick controller." Obviously I used a stock controller for parts but used a much smaller project box to make it. Took me a little longer because of all the modifications to make the controllers pots sections of the controller to fit. About 3 hours from start to finish. I plan on making more but I am going to use the small push buttons like I used for the Start, Pause and Reset buttons on this one for all the buttons on it also. I was in a rush to finish so I didn't get the holes straight . I just eyeballed this one and didn't measure out like I usually do. I think I need glasses. :D Check it out! :cool:

That looks like a Ghetto pirated cellphone.

LOL..... :rolling: I guess I should have taken a photo of the side too. :D

LOL..... :rolling: I guess I should have taken a photo of the side too. :D

The joystick looks like a microphone, and the green buttons are positioned to be numbers, # and *

The red buttons could be call and cancel.

The lack of precision in the button placement drives me bonkers. You really, really ought to consider buying a keypad for future mods. I'd recommend this one:

http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?PageActio...mp;ProdID=10843

The buttons come pre-marked and the layout is more uniform. Also, I think you could probably save money by purchasing one keypad for seven bucks rather than fifteen separate buttons.

The lack of precision in the button placement drives me bonkers. You really, really ought to consider buying a keypad for future mods. I'd recommend this one:

The buttons come pre-marked and the layout is more uniform. Also, I think you could probably save money by purchasing one keypad for seven bucks rather than fifteen separate buttons.

Believe me I know the buttons are a little out of alignment. O.K. alot. I was just in a hurry to finish this so I can give a taste of what my very close in the future controller will look like minus the green mini pushbuttons. I am going to use the HORN type. Brass for the top three and red for the keypad. I just like driving some of you guys crazy. Lets me know I'm not the only one! :D

That's a niftly little controller there. The 5200 scene sure does deserve a homebrew controller following to improve its less desired official production models. I'd like to find a second "non-working" controller so I can build a miniature, arcade-like panel to work well with the dual-stick games.

A friend of mine made a couple of homebrew controllers like that. He used the number pad off of an old touchtone phone. Worked pretty good :)

I was actually thinking of doing this. I've kept my eye out at thrift stores for a touchtone phone that'd work well, but have come up short each time. I'm sure I'll find one sometime. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures do you?

And this is actually really awesome. Thanks for the link Jess as I'll keep in it mind!

Edited by cyberfluxor

The lack of precision in the button placement drives me bonkers. You really, really ought to consider buying a keypad for future mods

Or at least a ruler. Has it not occurred to measure and mark a drilling grid?

Don't mean to knock 'ya but that stuff drives me crazy as well. Function over form is all well and good, but you could put some effort towards aesthetics. :P

I have thought of converting a Sears Video Arcade II Joystick to make a very similar controller but I have found out that Sears Video Arcade II Joysticks aren't that easy to come by or cheap. I've thought about Intellivision, Colecovision, Etc. Etc.. BUT the fact remains that it is much easier to just create with a project box. Much cheaper to acqiure and easier to acquire when you need another one. Everything I make with and use is not donated and that's what makes it tough. First you gotta look for what you want, Most likely Ebay, bid on it, hope you win it cheap, and hope you get it with mostly working parts. I like those Prototypes but like Atari said about the prototypes they came up with. "CAN EM'. THIS ONE AIN"T GONNA WORK!!" That's where I have stepped in 25 years later. :D I experiment but make sure when I offer something it's gonna work and it's gonna last. My wife probably thinks I'm a complete nerd since I haven't tinkered with electronics in many years until now. It's what interests me. It's what inspires me. And dag gone it YOU GUYS INSPIRE ME!! ;)

I gotta give you guys something that just works better and is cheaper to get and maintenance free. That's my goal and that's what I'll give. 110% Just for you guys!!!! :cool:

The lack of precision in the button placement drives me bonkers. You really, really ought to consider buying a keypad for future mods

Or at least a ruler. Has it not occurred to measure and mark a drilling grid?

Don't mean to knock 'ya but that stuff drives me crazy as well. Function over form is all well and good, but you could put some effort towards aesthetics. :P

I do understand. I am just giving a taste of what it will possibly look like when I create the finished product. Alot of guys post a pretty little picture of a controller they have worked possible days on. I post once I get the gumption enough to say "WHALLAH!". I am done for the moment but can't help but share what I came up with. Hence the term UNFINISHED PROTOTYPE. Once I get my buttons in I'll post a pic of the finished project. This was just a little something I came up with just to add a little aggrevation. Believe me. I do like to make things look uniform and nice but this was not meant to be uniform and nice when I created it. It's what I would call: UPIRF Unfinished Prototype In Raw Form. More is to come. You'll like it. I hope. :ponder:

Edited by ninermaniac

the controller issue was always my biggest problem

i just saw this

http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/06_04.html

and dug out my 5200 and some old pc joysticks

and whoo hoo its sweet

DCP_6581.jpg

the thing is i only had .10uf caps so only these 2 joys work sinc they have lots of centering adjustments

has anybody ever seen this crown stick its digital definite up down left right but it has centering dials and the turbo even works

only prob is that for some strange reason it wont work with mr do and montezumas revenge it wont go right or down but works on everything else i have

oh it also wont work with missile command and superbreakout