IGNORED

Question about A8's from the 80's.....

Corby

I never had a cpu from the 80's it was all video game systems. I did play a c64 one time!!!

What was the best cpu for atari 400 800 etc. thinking maybe the 800???

was the 400 and 800 games, compatiable with each other?

what can u do on those cpu. could u write atari games on them?? LOL Can they even get hook up to the net?

do they have modern memory upgrade, besides 64k, can they even handle ..lets say 1 gig if thats all possible

I just bought off of evil bay a 400 motherboard, for the hell of it. 20 bucks with shipping.

can the 5200 games play on the 400 cpu? since its a 400 cut down!! maybe change the cart connector on the board??

hey the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask?? right. the reason with the questions is i'm trying to learn more about these machines. and maybe in the future i would like to own one . just doing some homework.

thanks

corby

I never had a cpu from the 80's it was all video game systems. I did play a c64 one time!!!

what can u do on those cpu. could u write atari games on them?? LOL Can they even get hook up to the net?

do they have modern memory upgrade, besides 64k, can they even handle ..lets say 1 gig if thats all possible

I just bought off of evil bay a 400 motherboard, for the hell of it. 20 bucks with shipping.

can the 5200 games play on the 400 cpu? since its a 400 cut down!! maybe change the cart connector on the board??

hey the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask?? right. the reason with the questions is i'm trying to learn more about these machines. and maybe in the future i would like to own one . just doing some homework.

Atari 8-Bit FAQ

Atari 8-Bit FAQ

You wrote....

>What was the best cpu for atari 400 800 etc. thinking maybe the 800???

They all used some variation of the 6502 cpu. If you mean which COMPUTER was the best, it depends on the application. Everyone has their favorite(s).

>was the 400 and 800 games, compatiable with each other?

The entire line of atari 8 bit computers, 400 thru XEGS, were 99% hardware/software/game compatable.

>what can u do on those cpu. could u write atari games on them?? LOL Can they even get hook up to the net?

Anything you can imagine, in some form. There were a couple of dozen languages, equal to anything on any other platform, some better. Many people connect their 8 bit ataris to the internet every day. There are various ways to do this. Super way is serial port connected to a Lantronix serial to ethernet adapter.

>do they have modern memory upgrade, besides 64k, can they even handle ..lets say 1 gig if thats all possible

1 Gig can be done if you want to spend the time and money to do it. But for the A8 its over kill. Most of it would be a ramdisk(hanging from the pbi port), not main memory. Most upgrades go to 256K or 1 meg. In general, 16 megs is the maximum. Simm is the most modern in common use. But flash ram is there in some form.

Rick D.