IGNORED

8-bit to PC interface questions

boog

I'm looking to get some kind of interface to connect my 800 to a PC. Just started looking into SIO2PC, MyIDE, MIO, etc devices and not sure which to get.

Basically I just want to dump all my old floppies to image files, put them on a CD-ROM or SD card and be able to run them on the 800 through a connection to the PC. Not looking for cartridge emulation, extra memory, or any extra features.

A serial SIO2PC looks like the least expensive option. Is that all that I'd need? Do I need the APE software to create the image files?

Is there another inexpensive solution that would work better?

Thanks!

A serial SI02PC by itself will allow you to run software from your pc that you download from the net... The Atarimax SI02PC (either serial or USB) has a built in 10502PC as well, this allows you to hook your 1050 up and copy your software over... That's on a pure hardware front...

For software you can use the Free version of APE on the Atarimax site and get most of the options you would need... HOWEVER if you want to copy some of the more difficult software over or if you want to use multiple drives etc you would do better to buy the full version of ape...

Personally I use the serial Atarimax SIO2PC (I use an old PC and Serial works better for me than USB) and the free ape... That's because most of the software I own is already online at places like atarimania so I just download what I need rather than mess with the copying to the computer from my own floppy...

Just be sure if you do go for the serial sio2pc that your pc has a popper serial connection, serial to usb converters do not work well.

To be honest I would go for the sio2pc usb version to add some future proofing

Oh, and you need a spare Atari SIO cable

Edited by mimo

I'm looking to get some kind of interface to connect my 800 to a PC. Just started looking into SIO2PC, MyIDE, MIO, etc devices and not sure which to get.

Basically I just want to dump all my old floppies to image files, put them on a CD-ROM or SD card and be able to run them on the 800 through a connection to the PC. Not looking for cartridge emulation, extra memory, or any extra features.

A serial SIO2PC looks like the least expensive option. Is that all that I'd need? Do I need the APE software to create the image files?

Is there another inexpensive solution that would work better?

Thanks!

If your machine has a parallel port, you can also the MPDOS Pro version of the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320301721945

It doesn't support warp speed disk drives though. However, you can use it to simulate the joystick, mouse, etc. as well as 19,200 baud disk drive. You can also use it to hack new functionality into your Atari. I just wrote a program for it to turn the light pen registers into a color clock counter:

PC program is something like:

Mov DX,378h

Mov AL,255

Out DX,AL

Mov AL,239

Out DX,AL

On Atari end:

10 POKE 54286,0

20 ? PEEK(54284),PEEK(54285)

30 GOTO 20

As you may know, normally Atari counters are limited to accuracy of 1.789700 Mhz but the light pen registers give a color clock accuracy (3.579545Mhz). Still need to get timing right and synchronization to simulate a light pen using a mouse.

Thanks for the info!

Looks like the Atarimax SIO2PC/ProSystem is the best solution for me.

Both of my PCs are about 10 years old and running Win98SE. I've had problems with some USB devices so I think the serial version would probably be more reliable with my PCs.

Now I just need to decide on the LED color...