IGNORED

Should I leave a negative?

Atarian7

I bought a sealed new game and the seller shipped it in an envelope padded with a few plastic bags. The box didn't suffer much damage but it probably looked better before it was shipped.

I don't know if I should leave a negative or neutral over this.

He has already left me positive feedback so I don't have to worry about what he might say in feedback.

I bought a sealed new game and the seller shipped it in an envelope padded with a few plastic bags. The box didn't suffer much damage but it probably looked better before it was shipped.

He has already left me positive feedback so I don't have to worry about what he might say in feedback.

Negatives are only warranted if, the item never arrived, badly damaged as in it wont work, or it took way to long to ship as in over a month.

This case would require a neutral, something like... "Item not in conditioned as shown in image, bad packaging"

Edited by NESGremlin

How much did you pay for it? How about shipping? If you paid enough for it to be sent in a box, and it got damaged that is a different story.

It does not warrant a negative, especially since he got positive and the item arrived safely with minor box injury. It was not like the box was crushed and the item on the inside was non working.

Bite the bullet, its the risk you take purchasing from ebay.

I'd contact the seller first and politely explain your disappointment at the type of packaging used for shipment and how this affected the condition of the purchased item. I recommend taking a non-aggressive pose and seeing if the seller feels any responsibility for what happened and if the seller is willing to compensate you somehow. Hopefully things will all work out and then you can feel good enough to leave a positive or justified enough to leave a neutral. I personally wouldn't leave a negative unless the item was significantly FUBAR and the seller had a bad attitude toward you.

Also, if you do leave feedback for the seller, the seller can always use the "Respond to Feedback" feature to comment on what you wrote.

How much did you pay for it? How about shipping? If you paid enough for it to be sent in a box, and it got damaged that is a different story.

It does not warrant a negative, especially since he got positive and the item arrived safely with minor box injury. It was not like the box was crushed and the item on the inside was non working.

Bite the bullet, its the risk you take purchasing from ebay.

If he spent 15 on shipping, and person used a 3 dollar bubble envelope. I would have a problem and maybe do neg feedback. But if he only paid for what it was sent in then yeah no neg feedback. IMO.

Also, I go with Zack about contacting him to and see his attitude.

Edited by Headfamily

I recently ordered a NOS PC game CIB and it was shipped in an envelope with no padding (arrived crushed, of course). I complained to the seller and it turned out he was a drop-shipper (didn't keep his own inventory) and offered me an apology and an refund. So yeah, it's always best to contact the seller first to see how they will respond. If they're a dick about it, neg 'em for just being a dick.

If he spent 15 on shipping, and person used a 3 dollar bubble envelope. I would have a problem and maybe do neg feedback. But if he only paid for what it was sent in then yeah no neg feedback. IMO.

Here is my item.

I have a similar problem except mine is only a cart. at $6.55 and listed as Priority shipping, I thought it would have been in box. It came in a small bubble mailer using First Class and DC ($2.08). I know mine is only the cart, but I feel cheated paying 3 times as much for shipping. I was going for multiple auctions to reduce shipping costs, but this is only one I won.

Here is my item.

I have a similar problem except mine is only a cart. at $6.55 and listed as Priority shipping, I thought it would have been in box. It came in a small bubble mailer using First Class and DC ($2.08). I know mine is only the cart, but I feel cheated paying 3 times as much for shipping. I was going for multiple auctions to reduce shipping costs, but this is only one I won.

Contact the seller and see if he has good attitude, also $6 is not bad on shipping. The guy had to pack it and drive it to the post.

You are supposed to get what you pay for. This not only includes the item purchased but also services as well. Since the auction listed Priority Mail (and notice that insurance is supposedly included in the s&h) and you got 1st Class with DC (and DC is not the same thing as insurance), I would politely ask the seller what was the reason for the switch. Hopefully the seller will refund you the difference once you raise this question and not continue to pocket the difference (with feigned ignorance, casual indifference, or smug self-justification about value of auction item).

As for the comment by atarian63 about the guy having to pack the item and drive it to the post, that simply doesn't wash with me. (I'm setting aside the possibility that the seller might not have sold this item at all without eBay as a venue.) I mean, what about the seller's wear and tear on his car (tires, engine oil, brakes) - assuming he is using a car at all and not a bike or a moose or having the PO do a pick up - or what about the seller's cost of his internet connection or his electricity to power his computer? What about Atarian7's electricity for the computer and cost of the internet connection? Yes, this is silly, which is my point.

You are supposed to get what you pay for. This not only includes the item purchased but also services as well. Since the auction listed Priority Mail (and notice that insurance is supposedly included in the s&h) and you got 1st Class with DC (and DC is not the same thing as insurance), I would politely ask the seller what was the reason for the switch. Hopefully the seller will refund you the difference once you raise this question and not continue to pocket the difference (with feigned ignorance, casual indifference, or smug self-justification about value of auction item).

I missed the insurance part.

atarian63, I know about the excuse packaging and gas, but USPS picks up for free and has free boxes for Priority(which is supposedly the service I paid for). I shipped 197 shipments for 247 units of our product in the past month. I would like to make money on shipping too, but I find my customers like that I refund some of their shipping if they overpaid. I charge actual shipping cost rounded up to the next dollar for regular shipments. Don't get me wrong. I know he is running a business and needs to cover expenses too, but doing it through overpriced shipping is wrong and I do know that this is the routine on eBay sales.

I should have checked here. Showed 100% positive on ebay and it put my guard down.

Here is my example. I had a customer use expedited shipping method and paid me $60 to get the product to Australia. As this is my 1st time shipping this method Internationally, I had originally planned on using USPS GXG. I have found that USPS Guaranteed Express Mail is overpriced and would have cost her more money in Australia because it goes through Fedex(they would have been charged fees). I chose to ship it Express Mail International because it is going to a PO Box and Fedex may not be able to deliver it to a PO. Since my cost is $32 to ship, I am choosing to refund my customer $25. I think my 3 hours figuring out best methods for this customer is worth some compensation and I am forced to stand in line to deal with this package instead of dropping off like most of my international packages, but I do not want to gouge my customers. Treating them right brings them back as repeat customers and well worth not making $25 extra on a sale.

Edited by Almost Rice

He quoted Priority and sent it First Class?

That's a neg.

(Unless he does some quick apologizing and refunding.)

Agreed, the auction clearly states the $6.55 shipping (already overpriced) is Priority Mail. I'd leave a negative also unless the seller gave me a reasonable partial refund for the shipping.

..Al

Who is the seller? I have had so many games ruined from sellers sending boxed games in bubble envelopes. I want to know who to avoid.

So you got the game in decent condition and it works and got in a good amount of shipping time and your wondering if you should leave a negative? A negative for what? What grounds do you have to leave a negative?

As for the comment by atarian63 about the guy having to pack the item and drive it to the post, that simply doesn't wash with me. (I'm setting aside the possibility that the seller might not have sold this item at all without eBay as a venue.) I mean, what about the seller's wear and tear on his car (tires, engine oil, brakes) - assuming he is using a car at all and not a bike or a moose or having the PO do a pick up - or what about the seller's cost of his internet connection or his electricity to power his computer? What about Atarian7's electricity for the computer and cost of the internet connection? Yes, this is silly, which is my point.

sorry it's not silly, complaining about $6 shipping is pretty silly, The sellers time, packaging and gas all cost. Don't like it, don't buy.

An example is when we ship a 30lbs item, the box is custom made dbl walled, cost about $5, bubble wrap 4" all sides another 10 or so and paying the guy who packs it amd his time processing the paperwork, emails etc related to the shipping, so you are at $20 before the fed ex charge. Silly buyers never take into account costs.

I missed the insurance part.

atarian63, I know about the excuse packaging and gas, but USPS picks up for free and has free boxes for Priority(which is supposedly the service I paid for). I shipped 197 shipments for 247 units of our product in the past month. I would like to make money on shipping too, but I find my customers like that I refund some of their shipping if they overpaid. I charge actual shipping cost rounded up to the next dollar for regular shipments. Don't get me wrong. I know he is running a business and needs to cover expenses too, but doing it through overpriced shipping is wrong and I do know that this is the routine on eBay sales.

I should have checked here. Showed 100% positive on ebay and it put my guard down.

Here is my example. I had a customer use expedited shipping method and paid me $60 to get the product to Australia. As this is my 1st time shipping this method Internationally, I had originally planned on using USPS GXG. I have found that USPS Guaranteed Express Mail is overpriced and would have cost her more money in Australia because it goes through Fedex(they would have been charged fees). I chose to ship it Express Mail International because it is going to a PO Box and Fedex may not be able to deliver it to a PO. Since my cost is $32 to ship, I am choosing to refund my customer $25. I think my 3 hours figuring out best methods for this customer is worth some compensation and I am forced to stand in line to deal with this package instead of dropping off like most of my international packages, but I do not want to gouge my customers. Treating them right brings them back as repeat customers and well worth not making $25 extra on a sale.

That may work for you but is does not for us, we ship 300 items per week and we state the shipping charges flat, we use fed ex not us postal as Fed ex does not lose packages or seldom. With our method sometimes we make out a bit or we just break even, we found we had been losing money on shipping and that is not a model we can live with, we account for all cost and set the ship price, it's not negotiable unless it's a local pickup, then there is sales tax. Making a small amount is not gouging, it's paying the bills as in we are not a charity. For us we are winding down ebay as we do not agree with their policies. Selling to India and china and pakistan is much easier.

Good Luck!

Good luck

sorry it's not silly, complaining about $6 shipping is pretty silly, The sellers time, packaging and gas all cost. Don't like it, don't buy.

An example is when we ship a 30lbs item, the box is custom made dbl walled, cost about $5, bubble wrap 4" all sides another 10 or so and paying the guy who packs it amd his time processing the paperwork, emails etc related to the shipping, so you are at $20 before the fed ex charge. Silly buyers never take into account costs.

Buyer paid $6.55 s/h for a stated service which was not used by the seller. Actual shipping charge = $2.08, so $4.47 for a bubble envelope and the "time, packaging, and gas"? Give me a fucking break.

And yes, when I see a silly seller trying to do some shenanigans with the shipping, I don't give the seller my money.

paid for priority, got first class - not what you paid for.

negity-neg-neg

as for shipping price, i typically round up to the whole dollar...

ie: right now I ask $6 for priority & DC. ($4.80 pm 1#, + 0.65 DC = $5.45 postage)

getting a little ticked about media mail abuse, makes my shipping look inflated.

paid for priority, got first class - not what you paid for.

negity-neg-neg

as for shipping price, i typically round up to the whole dollar...

ie: right now I ask $6 for priority & DC. ($4.80 pm 1#, + 0.65 DC = $5.45 postage)

getting a little ticked about media mail abuse, makes my shipping look inflated.

Come on guys, give me a break here, Yea, the guy didnt send it priority,MAYBE HE MADE A SIMPLE MISTAKE! just email him and ask him for a partial refund,most likely he will probably do it, dont leave a frickin negative over 4 dollars. I bet you wouldnt be leaving a negative if sellers could leave a negative also? So say you buy a rare game on ebay and pay a little more shipping than you wanted. So go ahead , gas up your car and hit all the pawn shops and garage sales you can find, you probably wont find your game and use a half a tank of gas trying to. Doesnt that make the 4.00 kind of a mute point? Where do you think us sellers find our rare games? We go to garage sales , flea markets, pawn shops, etc. Thats the problem with ebay, buyers leaving ticky tack negatives for nothing,Its really getting stupid these days.

Please read the whole thread, we agreed he should have a chance to apologize / refund before getting the neg.

And nothing you said would make the $4 "mute". Or moot, either. Quoting over $6 for Priority and using $2 First Class is theft.

Speaking of give me a break, all of his auctions I checked are listed as Priority for small items, I just bet he accidentally sent this one first class.

I am a seller as well as a buyer, I use lots of gas treasure hunting, and I don't use deceptive shipping practices to recoup my costs.