IGNORED

Is this possible? Atari 2600 joystick port 2 use..

yuppicide

Any idea if this is possible?

Let's say I have an item that runs off batteries.. it has a handheld remote control that turns it on and off connected to the main unit by wire.

Would there be a way to splice the wire from the item, make it plug into joystick port 2 on the Atari 2600 and modify a game so when you do something it sends the signal to this thing to turn it on or off?

Any idea if this is possible?

Let's say I have an item that runs off batteries.. it has a handheld remote control that turns it on and off connected to the main unit by wire.

Would there be a way to splice the wire from the item, make it plug into joystick port 2 on the Atari 2600 and modify a game so when you do something it sends the signal to this thing to turn it on or off?

I don't see any reason why not.

As best I understand it, this is exactly how the Coleco Kid Vid tape deck was controlled. You'd want to be careful not to try to draw much current from the port, but that's a really easy thing to deal with if your external device has its own power source (or draws very little power).

Extending this concept, it would be possible to send a stream of data (up to 5 bits at once) to a device which would interpret the data as commands and allow all manner of things to be controlled via the joystick port. Bi-directional communication should even be possible. The biggest challenge in doing something sophisticated would be dealing with the amount of processor power required to handle the data.

Sounds interesting. Gonna share any more details with us?

Alright sure.. I was thinking multiple ideas:

1 - Super Custer's Revenge.. when you do stuff in the game it operates a toy to stroke your penis or a vibe for the girls.

2 - Maybe I could power a small external light up fish tank for a fish game I'm working on.

(I have to admit I just made up #2 just now.. my idea was really #1)

Alright sure.. I was thinking multiple ideas:

1 - Super Custer's Revenge.. when you do stuff in the game it operates a toy to stroke your penis or a vibe for the girls.

2 - Maybe I could power a small external light up fish tank for a fish game I'm working on.

(I have to admit I just made up #2 just now.. my idea was really #1)

Thats just too funny. lol