IGNORED

EDGE report bluray addon for 360

cimerians

Well, I suppose we should get the obligatory comments out of the way:

1) What!?! Another add-on? I won't buy it until they integrate it into the system!

2) Blu-Ray is DOA, it can't compete with DVD!

3) Duhh... does this mean I have to re-buy my 360 games on blu-ray?

4) Downloads are the future! Anyone who still buys discs must be marrying their cousin!

5) Clearly Sony is kicking M$'s ass, or they'd never do this. PS3 FTW!

Having gotten that out of the way, I'm sure this thread will be much shorter. :cool:

Considering how good the PS3's video capabilities are (Its just about the best bluray player on the market and one of the best upscaling DVD players, something that that can't be said for the 360 which has a reputation for poor quality DVD playback), combined with some great exclusives like Uncharted, makes me wonder why someone wants a add-on.

360's die quick enough without being used for video playback. If I'm spending the kind of cash this is going to cost, I'd spend a little bit more to get a top of the line player that can play the few great exclusives the PS3 gets without putting more wear and tear on the fragile console I play most current titles on due to its great library.

Edited by Atariboy

360's die quick enough without being used for video playback. If I'm spending the kind of cash this is going to cost, I'd spend a little bit more to get a top of the line player that can play the few great exclusives the PS3 gets without putting more wear and tear on the fragile console I play most current titles on due to its great library.

I think you're confused. The PS3 is the one that your putting wear and tear on you videogame console every time you play a Blu-Ray disk. The 360 Blu-Ray player would be an add on. What this means is, you can use your 360 to play games and the add-on to play Blu-Ray movies (If you give a crap about paying $30 to watch one movie)

See the difference?

Well, I suppose we should get the obligatory comments out of the way:

1) What!?! Another add-on? I won't buy it until they integrate it into the system!

2) Blu-Ray is DOA, it can't compete with DVD!

3) Duhh... does this mean I have to re-buy my 360 games on blu-ray?

4) Downloads are the future! Anyone who still buys discs must be marrying their cousin!

5) Clearly Sony is kicking M$'s ass, or they'd never do this. PS3 FTW!

Having gotten that out of the way, I'm sure this thread will be much shorter. :cool:

:rolling:

Ahhh......but I still want it though......arg!

I think you're confused. The PS3 is the one that your putting wear and tear on you videogame console every time you play a Blu-Ray disk. The 360 Blu-Ray player would be an add on. What this means is, you can use your 360 to play games and the add-on to play Blu-Ray movies (If you give a crap about paying $30 to watch one movie)

See the difference?

All your saving on the 360 side is wear and tear on the internal DVD drive itself due to it using a external drive, its not saving the other components of the system that are more failure prone than the disc drive.

My console gets hot just using the hd-dvd drive, I have no doubt the system will be working just as hard with a external blu-ray drive (Thought granted with both options it should be cooler than when playing games, but it heats up a lot none the less).

As much as I prefer the 360 when it comes to gaming, there's no doubt the PS3 is the better built of the two and the one I'd rather risk playing back video than a more fragile 360. It can handle it without drastically shortening the life of your console if you utilize the feature regularly, the 360 can't.

There's more working on a 360 when using the hd-dvd drive than just the drive itself. But somehow you neglect to mention that? The console isn't just sitting there idle, it's still working with the exception of the internal drive.

Anyways, I know I can't win this with you because I'm suggesting the 360 isn't perfect, but I stand by my statement that the PS3 is the better option of the two for video playback when it comes to video quality and durability. I have nothing else to say. :)

Edited by Atariboy

My console gets hot just using the hd-dvd drive, I have no doubt the system will be working just as hard with a blu-ray drive.

The console gets hot regardless if the HD DVD drive is plugged up via USB cable or not. The HD DVD drive doesn't put any wear and tear on your console. Sorry.

You just took a legitimate reason to NOT use your videogame console as a movie player (wear and tear on the disk drive) and more or less blew it because the 360 doesn't use it's drive to play the movie. The console is a pass through. Nice try though.

I'll admit the 360 reliability sucks, but don't discourage people from buying a product by using false statements about what will happen if they do. It doesn't benefit anyone. ;) I would seriously doubt this is in the works anyways to be honest.

Edited by moycon

"The console gets hot regardless if the HD DVD drive is plugged up via USB cable or not. The HD DVD drive doesn't put any wear and tear on your console. Sorry."

The HD-DVD drive puts wear and tear on the 360 since the 360 has to be on to use it. Isn't that obvious?

And its utilizing the 360's processors and such, the only thing that is getting a break when compared to normal gaming usage is the internal drive. The 360 is doing more than just passing audio/video signals through to your display, the console is actively working when playing hd-dvd's. As a result, its putting almost as much stress on your 360 as playing a videogame would. Why do that to something that's so fragile? The 360 is doing all the software work when playing back a hd-dvd, the hd-dvd drive is only spinning and reading the disc. There's a lot more involved in playing back video from a disc than spinning the disc and reading it with a laser.

If you want to play back video, the PS3 not only offers better video quality when you upscale DVD's and one of the best blu-ray players on the market, but also is a console that won't croak on you from being used to play videos often. Of course it will cost you twice as much as a external drive probably would, so the aguement is probably pointless.

"You just took a legitimate reason to NOT use your videogame console as a movie player (wear and tear on the disk drive) and more or less blew it because the 360 doesn't use it's drive to play the movie. "

Huh? You do realize there's more inside that white case than just a disc drive? The console is still working even when using a external drive, the only component getting a break is the internal drive.

"I'll admit the 360 reliability sucks, but don't discourage people from buying a product by using false statements about what will happen if they do."

The only false statements here are yours that imply the 360 is basically sitting there off when the internal drive isn't being used for video playback due to using a external drive. That isn't true, the 360 is still operating and growing closer to the usual quick death when playing back a hd-dvd since its doing more than just serving as a pass through for the video/audio.

My only suggestion this entire time is:

A: The 360 is still working when playing back video through a external drive, causing wear and tear on what is a very fragile product, beyond the internal disc drive.

B: Even though the PS3 is doing 100% of the work when it comes to video playback, its designed and better built to support such usage without drastically shortening the lifespan of the console; and does this while offering superior video quality.

Those are both facts.

Edited by Atariboy

Here's an article about the relation between the hd dvd player and the xbox 360. It uses 4.7 million lines of code to be able to display the movie.

How doies the xbox360 HD-DVD work

All 6 of Xbox 360's hardware threads are hard at work while playing back an HD DVD. At the moment, the player software pushes Xbox 360 harder than any other (save, perhaps, Gears of War during some particularly busy parts of the game).
Edited by Seob

The console is still working even when using a external drive, the only component getting a break is the internal drive.

The disk drive wear is the main wear and tear while playing a disk Atariboy if you ask me.

Moving parts wear out over time. Spinning disk drives...etc....

The disk drive in you 360 isn't in use when using an add on player. The disk drive in the add-on player is spinning so less wear on the console.

All 6 of Xbox 360's hardware threads are hard at work while playing back an HD DVD.

What exactly is a hardware thread?

Edited by moycon

moycon i think you read the comment from atariboy wrong.

He doesn't write that it breaks down. He says that only the internal diskdrive isn't in use when playing a hd-dvd.

No that's what I was saying.

I'd rather have a seperate drive to play movies than use my videogame console mainly because I don't want to wear out the disk drive I guess. Still, I don't want my "hardware threads" breaking either.

processor specs:

3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each

2 hardware threads per core; 6 hardware threads total

1 VMX-128 vector unit per core; 3 total

128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread

1 MB L2 cache

http://hardware.teamxbox.com/articles/xbox...ecifications/p1

Xbox 360 Thread Pools

The Xbox 360 CPU has six hardware threads (two on each of three cores), each capable of independently executing a software thread. These hardware threads execute independently, but the two hardware threads executing on a single core do share some resources, such as the vector unit and L1 cache.

The thread pool distributes the threads it creates evenly among four available hardware threads (two are reserved for system use). The thread pool does not attempt to determine the activity level of the processors before assigning threads, nor does it try to load-balance existing threads. Once a thread is assigned to a hardware thread, the thread pool will not assign that thread to a different hardware thread.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb203914.aspx

Love my 360 but it is way too loud to watch movies on.But, if the add-on really is a $100 - $150 and that is the only way you can get into blu-ray, and you don't mind the fan noise, I say its a decent deal.

To the people complaining about $30 blu-ray discs. Indeed they are too expensive, and I would not buy a full price player or movie yet (I got a PS3 for games and blu-ray is an extra for me), but the more people that have players, the more movies get sold and the faster the price drops. Its the same for every new technology CDs and DVDs were expensive at first too. As for digital downloads show me a place online (legal) that I can visit and download all available HD titles w/ at the very least, true 5.1 surround, all the menus, languages, subtitles, and extras of the Blu counterpart, and fast/secure downloads. I would also like it in writing that if I ever lose that file I can download it again numerous times, that the file is not chained to one device, and that I can put it on a thumb stick and watch it at a friends house. I can do that with a disc (not redownloading, but losing physical media and losing a file are not the same, file loss is many times beyond the users control.) and that is all I want from a digital download. Show me where and I'm sold.

-T :)

Edited by pmpddytim

Considering how good the PS3's video capabilities are (Its just about the best bluray player on the market and one of the best upscaling DVD players, something that that can't be said for the 360 which has a reputation for poor quality DVD playback), combined with some great exclusives like Uncharted, makes me wonder why someone wants a add-on.

Are you kidding? The 360 has fantastic DVD playback and has a dedicated hardware scaler that does an amazing job. DVD's look great on 360. If you have VGA or HDMI then the 360 upscales DVD's better then almost any player I have seen.

BTW... I use the HD-DVD drive fro DVD playback. It is quieter and saves my console drive for game-use only.

Edited by Hyper_Eye

Are you kidding? The 360 has fantastic DVD playback and has a dedicated hardware scaler that does an amazing job. DVD's look great on 360. If you have VGA or HDMI then the 360 upscales DVD's better then almost any player I have seen.

That's not what videophiles think in reviews, comparisons, and forums such as the popular AVS ones. I think it looks fine but it has a poor reputation. I mostly watch old tv shows like Little House on the Prairie, so I don't have a eye for such things.

Edited by Atariboy

I didn't think Blu-Ray sales were all that great.

And with Xbox pushing streaming movies, I honeslty don't see this thing being a genuine consideration...yet anyways.

Maybe if Blu-Ray became the next standard but now? People don't want to spend $2.99 for gas. Why are they going to want to spend $29.99 for one Blu-Ray flick??

That's not what videophiles think in reviews, comparisons, and forums such as the popular AVS ones. I think it looks fine but it has a poor reputation. I mostly watch old tv shows like Little House on the Prairie, so I don't have a eye for such things.

I consider myself a videophile and I frequent avsforum. I watch DVD's upscaled on 360 with a 720p DLP front-projector at 80" only about 10' away. They look great to me. Maybe it has a bad reputation in the bluray section of the forum but those guys aren't objective.

The threads that come to mind about its dvd upscaling capabilities at AVS are from the Xbox forum. On my Wii right now but I'll dig a few up later on my PC. I think it looks fine too.

Just enjoy the movie, dude! :P

Edited by Breakpack