IGNORED

Let's play "Should I neg?"

SRGilbert

Yep, it's another one of those posts, asking for advice on ebay feedback.

So I win THIS AUCTION for a Virtual Boy. I win with a bid of $36.01, which I felt was pretty good for a complete unit with Mario Tennis and the box. First thing that bugged me was was the $15 flat rate shipping, especially considering it would be coming from a town about 90 miles away. I did know that going in, so I guess that's my decision.

Item was shipped quickly and not surprisingly, it got here via USPS in 2 days. First thing I notice is that the shipping charge was only $7.00 on the sticker, nice 215% markup there. Then as I pick up the box I can feel that everything is just rocking and rolling around inside. As usual, I grab my camera and start taking pics. I get the box open and find that the outer cardboard box is just a bit bigger than the original Virtual Boy box with a sheet of bubble wrap around the VB box. Inside that box was another matter. All the components, the unit, the stand, the power supply, and manuals were all loose inside this big box with a lot of space to spare. :x I can't be sure if it was like this before, but the left lens has a pretty good scratch in it (probably from the prongs on the PS.) As everyone here knows, the VB uses a system of internal mirrors that can get knocked out of alignment. It's a miracle that it works at all. I've never owned a VB before so I'm not sure if its aligned or not. I tried the test in the manual and it seems close.

So anyway I sent him the following message:

Well, I got my item today and I have to say that I am pretty disappointed. The first issue I have is that you charged me more than DOUBLE what it actualy cost you to ship it, and it looks like none of the extra was spent on insurance. I would have been fine with that if it weren't for the horrible job you did packing it. You could have at least stuffed some newspapers in there. It would have cost you NOTHING and would have prevented a huge problem. As it was, everything tumbled around in the box resulting in a pretty big scratch on the right side lens. I guess you don't realize that these units are very fragile, it's a miracle that it still even works. I think I can get the scratch out with a little work, but that is not the point. It looks like you just got a negative from another customer for the exact same reason. I thought I'd give you a chance to make this right before I leave feedback.

to which they respond:

First off I do apologigize for any trouble that may have occured during shipment. Secondly I did describe the unit accurately and S+H was a flat rate that you agreed to ahead of time by confirming your winning bid. It did not include shipping insurance. If you wanted that you should have told me before shipping out. Sometimes I really take a loss on shipping due to the flat rate if someone lives several miles away, sometimes I do honestly make a little bit. I will never know what it will cost me until the winning bidder is revealed. I also take a hit on the Ebay and Paypal fee's that everyone forgets about. The shipping was fast and I did think the packaging was fine due to the unit being double boxed. I also asked them to put fragile stickers on the box. I also left prompt positve feedback as soon as payment was received. I still understand your frustrations because I have been really screwed over by buying an empty Xbox box for $560.00 a few years ago. Anyway I hope the scratch does not affect your game play. I will respond to your negative feedback when posted.

I was hoping that at least he might offer to refund my shipping charges, but it looks like he isn't willing to do anything.

What do you think?

Test the unit. If you can get it to play good, great. Then leave him a neg, and stay on top of that feedback. When he responds, you respond back until your point is clear. If the unit doesn't work, it's probably gonna fall under item not as described and you should be able to get your money refunded through PayPal.

It says he uses Priority Mail.

Did he send it that way? I know that here, such services can cost nearly double the standard mail fee.

It also comes down to eBay policy itself - sellers will usually have a large postage/handling fee to guarantee a profit on an item that starts at $0.00 and sells for a low price. They seem to do nothing about it - just look at the huge number of items that come from Hong Kong and China with $7 buy price and $50 or more postage.

Sadly, this is the norm when buying stuff off eBay recently. I wouldn't leave a neg, but I would take it up with paypal. The words are "NOT AS DESCRIBED" it wasn't said to have a major scratch. That's more of a headache for him and he has to answer third party questions as to his crap job, not just take a feedback strike and move on, possibly doing the same thing on the next package. He obviasly doesn't fear a negative. He needs to learn to fear a loss.

AX

Edited by the.golden.ax

I also asked them to put fragile stickers on the box.

Does nothing if you can here shake, rattle and roll on the inside...

I mean if I stuck a bunch of fragile stickers on an ice sculpture and chucked it off the roof... Is that supposed to protect it???

Putting fragile stickers on packages is the same as saying "please try to break me". It's the package handlers' invitation to play "Who can make it rattle first". Not sure about FedEx and UPS, but it is a game played by USPS.

Just a (few) thoughts here

1) If it works and all is good, no sense wasting your time - seller isn't going to run out and buy 100ft of bubble wrap for next time just 'cause you told 'em so.

2) When you want restitution, you have to tell them what you want, Don't wait for them to guess:

"[spiel about bad packing and scratch]. I think that a $15 refund would be appropriate"

If the refund shows, pos feedback "seller corrected issue", and move on. otherwise...

3) Paypal dispute, Item Not as Described. Make sure you fill out the "seller requests partial refund of $xx" box.