IGNORED

Best 5200 Game ?

strangedogs

Of all time, Star Raiders, hands down. Nothing can touch that game.

As to other favorites, homebrew/hacks would be either Adventure II and M.U.L.E. For original titles, it would be Defender, Berzerk, Space Dungeon, Hero, and Joust

Ditto. :)

my favorite was Defender, those controllers made this version much more playable than the arcade with all those buttons. I more than tripled my scores. All the explosive graphics are there too, a nice feature for the 5200, the 2600 version of Defender sucks

I also vote Joust which looks exactly like the arcade version and buried the dismal 2600 version, and again the controllers made playing this far easier!

Back in the 80's, I was in love with the superior arcade ports on 5200, as opposed to the 2600.

Joust was a big favorite. The sounds and gameplay were quite close to the coin-op, and it was 2-player simultaneous to boot. Thankfully you didn't have to flap as much to stay aloft, so the 5200's mushy buttons weren't much of a problem.

5200 Qix was leagues better than the original A8 Qix. Very addictive, trying to split 2 Qix and keep your points escalating (and usually dying in the process!). I recently got coin-op Qix on PS2 Taito Legends 2 ... first time I'd ever seen the coin-op version ... and except for the 5200's flickering, the 2 games seem nearly identical. Great 5200 port!

Mario Brothers, another really fun 2-player game on 5200. However, the colors could be better. I also loved Q*bert and could play up to the 9th level with no problems. Graphics and sounds not the greatest but functional.

Defender was awesome on 5200 too, and it was a real treat for me when I talked to the author via email a few years back. I like the attention to detail on the 5200 port, and the easier control (coin-op is too hard for me). Great visuals, sounds and gameplay.

Berzerk , another great 5200 port, even with voice included with no voice module adaptor! I'd have to say that Joust or Berzerk would rank as my favorite.

I'm not much of a 5200 guy, but I am an avid Atari 8-bit'er. But since the games are usually the same, I suppose my opinions are still valid...

My Top Five

--------------

1. Miner 2049er

2. Blaster

3. Pitfall II

4. Rescue on Fractalus

5. Xari Arena (two player mode)

Honorable mentions to: Gremlins, Joust, Millipede, Frogger II, Super Pac-Man, Dig Dug, and Countermeasure.

Tempest

I'm not much of a 5200 guy, but I am an avid Atari 8-bit'er. But since the games are usually the same, I suppose my opinions are still valid...

My Top Five

--------------

1. Miner 2049er

2. Blaster

3. Gremlins

4. Rescue on Fractalus

5. Xari Arena (two player mode)

Honorable mentions to: Joust, Millipede, Frogger II, Super Pac-Man, and Countermeasure.

Tempest

since getting my MultiCart and burning LOADS OF ROMS - I now SO FAR like SUPER COBRA, WIZARDS OF WAR, ZONE RAIDERS and the usual biggies my wife and I both have loved since the 80's - JOUST, PacMan/Ms PacMan, CENTIPEDE, Miner 2049'er, RS Baseball (Yeah Baby - the computer still whipping me bad though)... I'm trying to figure out RESCUE ON FRACTALUS, STAR RAIDERS, etc but I'm Italian and OLD to boot so I'm terrible at fast Keypad/Joystick operations - I'm a SPAZ ;) I remember playing RESCUE on my 800XL (or was it my ST?). Like the Graphics in Buck Rogers and Beamrider too but the games ain't that great...

I also LOVE my Wico Command Controller and Wico Keypad. Just bought a Wico Competition Pro but it needs tweaking or something (will experiment more this weekend) - might buy another competition pro as I found another one for cheap! Although I like the feel of the command controller better (not as tight).

Edited by strangedogs