IGNORED

Best 5200 Game ?

strangedogs

I'm stuck 5 mins into pitfall 2 - After swimming - when going down the multiple holes (falling) I keep hitting that damn bat! What's the secret to that?

Gotta kinda wait for it to pass or time it right to go underneath them. Really though DON"T FALL! You'll always hit the bat or a frog on your way down if you fall. This game takes alot of patience. ;)

my favorite was Defender, those controllers made this version much more playable than the arcade with all those buttons. I more than tripled my scores. All the explosive graphics are there too, a nice feature for the 5200, the 2600 version of Defender sucks

I also vote Joust which looks exactly like the arcade version and buried the dismal 2600 version, and again the controllers made playing this far easier!

The atari 5200 version of joust does not look exactly like the arcade unless you have trouble seeing. The 7800 version looks closer to the arcade then the 5200, yet it is not exactly like the arcade. The birds in the 5200 version are pretty much one single color.

As far as my favorite 5200 games....

1. Adventure II

2. Space Dungeon

3. MULE

4. Popeye " Not quite as good as the NES, but a very good port"

5. Defender

I'm stuck 5 mins into pitfall 2 - After swimming - when going down the multiple holes (falling) I keep hitting that damn bat! What's the secret to that?

Gotta kinda wait for it to pass or time it right to go underneath them. Really though DON"T FALL! You'll always hit the bat or a frog on your way down if you fall. This game takes alot of patience. ;)

Don't fall? so I gotta climb down the ladders?

Don't fall? so I gotta climb down the ladders?

there is a place you will find where you can jump a little higher than usual hang out there and a balloon will appear

realize this is a frustrating game especialy at the end when you have to climb the gauntlet of 20 condors and 20 bats

• 2 weeks later...

I really love the 5200 for its old games, of them all I think Pacman and Berzerk are my favorites.

Here is the funny thing though, IMO, its two best games are homebrew.

Adventure II is just flat out an excellent game. Wonderful work was done to make this one.

My personal favorite, and in my mind I don't see why others don't make as big a deal as I do:

Castle Crisis. This port of the Warlords arcade game is awesome! If you have a custom paddle controller it's even better. They are easy to make, or I'm sure someone here is willing to convert the pieces for people.

Realsports Tennis

Popeye

Montezuma's Revenge

Mr. Do's Castle

HERO

They are the ones I play the most lately but I like so many of the 5200 games.

I left out Hacks and Homebrews from the list but there are many goodies in that group as well! ;)

have fun! :)

Edited by Phantom

I really love the 5200 for its old games, of them all I think Pacman and Berzerk are my favorites.

Here is the funny thing though, IMO, its two best games are homebrew.

Adventure II is just flat out an excellent game. Wonderful work was done to make this one.

My personal favorite, and in my mind I don't see why others don't make as big a deal as I do:

Castle Crisis. This port of the Warlords arcade game is awesome! If you have a custom paddle controller it's even better. They are easy to make, or I'm sure someone here is willing to convert the pieces for people.

berzerk is good but when you realize there is no end no escape and who knows how high the score can go

atari015.pngatari016.png

also there is some funny wall patterns sometimes and what gives with that 10 wall how can i get that guy so i end up hearing chicken fight my comp-low-maat

pitfall2 on the 5200 with its additional level goes beyond any other sytem

its single handed the reason to own the 5200

atari004.pngatari012.png

Edited by bohoki

River Raid is a great game, but I think the trouble is that it is so similar to the 2600 version.

Activision put very little effort into improving their games for porting from the 2600 to the 5200, which I find dissapointing. The only exception I have seen is Pitfall II, with the large expansion of the map.

My vote for best game for the 5200 is QIX.

River Raid is a great game, but I think the trouble is that it is so similar to the 2600 version.

Activision put very little effort into improving their games for porting from the 2600 to the 5200, which I find dissapointing. The only exception I have seen is Pitfall II, with the large expansion of the map.

My vote for best game for the 5200 is QIX.

yes qix is awesome because it requires 2 buttons for slow and fast

i think the best game would be one that uses the analog controlls to its fullest

pitfall 2 is teh best game but it is kind of a pain with a non centering analog its great with my altoids controller or controllers with up down left and right

a game that uses the controller like it was meant to be "missile command" i love how the cursor is absolutly posistioned its also a great game to center a home made controller(its game play is just like a joystick calibration program)

sure there are other games that use the analogness but only in the left right

i guess gorf is good too

you know what i mean by absolute positioning

if the joystick is hard left the thing on the screen is all the way left a little left and you are just a little off center

i wish centipede was like that

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

my top 5 :D

1) Mr. Do's Castle(this game is Class, only if the standard controllers were'nt so crappy this game would be better than alot of Nintendo games :ponder: )

2) Dig Dug(the crappy controllers actually work well in this game lol)

3) Star Raiders ( I Loove this game! Took me awhile to figure it out but it's really addictive)

4) Gremlins (wish they took more time to put more levels,characters(where's Phoebe Cates??)and colors in it but overall the gameplay is good,despite the crappy standard controllers making it hard to play sometimes,as with most games)

5) Pitfall 2 ( have'nt played this game since the 80's,still need to buy it again,but from what I remember it was ahead of it's time. I could beat Super Mario Bros 1 in 20 minutes but this game??? I remember it was really really hard.Never beat it but anyone who has I must say has real skills lol)

Honorable Mention: CENTIPEDE........especially with the trak-ball....gawd that game was ahead of it's time!

Edited by lushgirl_80