IGNORED

5200 Thumbstick! It's ready!

ninermaniac

Hello all. I have finished a thumbstick style controller. This controller I am going to make a few more depending on the amount of requests for one. I will make them available soon in the marketplace. Just giving you a taste of it. If your are interested in the specs just shoot me a PM.

BTW. My focus is still messed up on my camera. Sorry if the pics are a little fuzzy.

Edited by ninermaniac

Hello all. I have finished a thumbstick style controller. This controller I am going to make a few more depending on the amount of requests for one. I will make them available soon in the marketplace. Just giving you a taste of it. If your are interested in the specs just shoot me a PM.

BTW. My focus is still messed up on my camera. Sorry if the pics are a little fuzzy.

This looks awesome! Great job. :cool:

Looks great but those side mounted buttons dude, it's gonna be a real bitch holding that controller and not hitting them by mistake.

These buttons aren't that easy to push. They aren't like a mini push button that takes very little pressure. I stragetically put them there because it makes it easier to reach when you want to pause the games. Just move your hand out a little a whallah! I have played with this controller all day and haven't accidentally restarted or paused a game at all. I even tried to push them in with my palm with a little pressure. Takes a more direct push with your finger to push them. Takes more pressure than usual to push the side buttons. They also add to the handle you have on the controller believe it or not. I like them because they have very stylish and bigger buttons. I thought about branding the numbers and symbols on the keypad part but that might take too much time to do correctly. These are very comfortable because of the size. Thanks Shawn Sr. for the support and collective criticism. It's what keeps me thinking how to improve. ;)

Edited by ninermaniac

These are very comfortable because of the size. Thanks Shawn Sr. for the support and collective criticism. It's what keeps me thinking how to improve. ;)

I'm just really glad you know that I like your stuff and that my critics are only ment to help you further your projects. This one looks the nicest overall so far for sure. If you seat the boots on your trackball joystick a lil better though it would be your #1 IMO. I love seeing dudes like you coming up with neat fresh ideas :thumbsup:

Great job! I with I had the talent ot build something like that.

They look to be built like tanks..is that the case? I'm just wondering about the durability of these.

I am in awe :cool:

They are tough. I took one that I built with this box and dropped it 5 times and it worked everytime. That question has risen more than once. Believe me. ;)

thats pretty cool so is that made from bits of a real controller?

i love them green buttons any way to get a closelook at one in the raw so i can maybe find one local?

i finally got my frankentroller together

DCP_6663.jpg

its made from the joystick from a crane game an alarm system controll pad a couple 500k pots

whew its tricky getting everything wired up right

also i had to top mount the joy since it is so deep it has a cherry microswitch way in there for the top button controlled by the long rod

also top mounted the numpad since i'm a sloppy cutter and it woudl have to be pretty precise to get it perfect i only had 8 conductor wire so i had to double up one cable goes to the pad one the joy and buttons

my next goal is to put a switch to alternate the joytopbutton to either top or bottom

also need one more pot knob i forgot to buy when i bought the pots

Edited by bohoki

Hey ninermaniac,

Is there a way to make the controller an all-in-one, similar to the Sears VAII controller, where the sticks doubles as a twistable paddle? (for Super Breakout, Kaboom, etc.)

It would be awesome if you could take your current design, turn the controller 90 degrees clockwise in your hand, and then use the stick as a paddle!

;) :cool:

Hey ninermaniac,

Is there a way to make the controller an all-in-one, similar to the Sears VAII controller, where the sticks doubles as a twistable paddle? (for Super Breakout, Kaboom, etc.)

It would be awesome if you could take your current design, turn the controller 90 degrees clockwise in your hand, and then use the stick as a paddle!

;) :cool:

Great idea. I'll have to see what I can do. But first I am sticking with what I have now. :cool:

thats pretty cool so is that made from bits of a real controller?

i love them green buttons any way to get a closelook at one in the raw so i can maybe find one local?

i finally got my frankentroller together

DCP_6663.jpg

its made from the joystick from a crane game an alarm system controll pad a couple 500k pots

whew its tricky getting everything wired up right

also i had to top mount the joy since it is so deep it has a cherry microswitch way in there for the top button controlled by the long rod

also top mounted the numpad since i'm a sloppy cutter and it woudl have to be pretty precise to get it perfect i only had 8 conductor wire so i had to double up one cable goes to the pad one the joy and buttons

my next goal is to put a switch to alternate the joytopbutton to either top or bottom

also need one more pot knob i forgot to buy when i bought the pots

[/q

This might work for me because i'm left handed. How does it work on all of the games?

Thanks

My guess is calibration.

actually they are the resistance for the whole shebang

the stick sucks it doesnt do diagonals well at all i had to ream out the center since the crand game had up donw left right channels to make diagonals impossible now diagonals are just difficult

since my main goal was to play my fav games kangaroo it really pisses me off that when i want to jump a gap and it just jumps straight up

gee i feel bad about jacking the thread

i like the origional posters box but i dont really like the idea of destroying an original to make a hobby box

the bottom dial does work for superbreakout/kaboom

my stick works ok for digdug and galaxian but its annoying its like all games have a little different center and the original stick helps with that by leaving alot of play in the center

i thought i was being clever putting the vert pot on the side but now i wish i had them side by side cause its right where i want to hold the stick if i want to hold it with my left hand (for one button games)

potjoy.jpg

its kind of fun running the dials moving the little pointer in missile command i wish there was a etch-a-sketch game

Edited by bohoki

My guess is calibration.

i like the origional posters box but i dont really like the idea of destroying an original to make a hobby box

You didn't highjack. You'll realize that the best way to make a controller would be to use an original. A whole lot less guess work in the process. Believe me. I have a controller built from scratch with self centering. It was a royal pain to put together. I'd say your stick probably took you many hours to plan and to build and you are still not happy with it. I just wanted to create a controller that is functional, have NO FAIL working buttons, and be small and convenient. the 5th ghost has given me an idea. It would be feasible with the size of my controller. :ponder:

My guess is calibration.

You didn't highjack. You'll realize that the best way to make a controller would be to use an original. A whole lot less guess work in the process. Believe me. I have a controller built from scratch with self centering. It was a royal pain to put together. I'd say your stick probably took you many hours to plan and to build and you are still not happy with it. I just wanted to create a controller that is functional, have NO FAIL working buttons, and be small and convenient. the 5th ghost has given me an idea. It would be feasible with the size of my controller. :ponder:

I've done a bit of each and had reasonable success in both. Scratch-built is more challenging in some ways but more rewarding in others. The reward outweighs the challenge for me, particularly from a creative perspective.

• 1 month later...