IGNORED

I lurk a bit, want to know whats the best solution for controllers nowadays

bobotech

I haven't been posting much on this board, I lurk mostly as you might be able to tell from my post count.

Anyway, bought a 5200 in box with 9 games (in boxes) for 15 bux off of craigslist. Its the first 5200 that i got that is complete, its the 2 controller version so I don't have that funky switch box.

I want to play with it soon but I really don't like the idea of those controllers, what is the latest and greatest hacked controller for playing a real 5200? Yeah, I know I could pull out my 400 or 1200xl but I want to play a real 5200 like I lusted over 25 (wow, really 25 years ???) years ago without getting frustrated.

Well to play the real 5200 you should give its real controllers a fair chance. Thats the way Atari meant it to be played :)

Seriously, clean them up because a stock 5200 controller is good working order isnt bad at all.

The other option would be Wico sticks of you can get them. Also the Masterplay interface, again if you can find one.

Other than those I don't think anyone sells an off the shelf solution to replace the stock controllers.

I will give them a chance. The controllers are one of the reasons why I hesitate to jump into a 5200. I worry that I will spend a bunch of time setting it all up only to be disappointed with the controller.

Do people still have instructions on how to wire up a digital controller using resistors for playing games like Pacman and others?

I recommend the Best Electronics rebuilds with gold contacts. I have 2 pair and love 'em. You can get just the parts if you want to do it yourself.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/5200.htm

They have a super fast turn around, and I've had no problems. It is a great way to have a responsive, working Atari 5200 joystick. I know that they have a bad rap, but I also agree that the Atari 5200 should be played as Atari created it. Maybe I am a purist, or just thick-headed.

Edited by atari_envy

I will give them a chance. The controllers are one of the reasons why I hesitate to jump into a 5200. I worry that I will spend a bunch of time setting it all up only to be disappointed with the controller.

Do people still have instructions on how to wire up a digital controller using resistors for playing games like Pacman and others?

There's one controller for analog X-axis sort of games here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320313463370

It's easy to wire it yourself if you want to build it yourself (if you have Atari Paddles). If you have a PC nearby to your A5200 and has a parallel port, you could give a shot to this adapter (Digital Joystick Adapter) here: http://www.krishnasoft.com/sps.htm which is good for games like Pac-man, Joust, etc. (digital axes).

You can also use the digital joystick adapter with an Atari 2600 keypad (works better than Atari 5200 keypad) and Wico Y cable.

If you have played on both Atari 800/XL/XE and Atari 5200, you can tell the Atari 5200 controllers aren't as good (especially for Pac-man). I guess if you have only played Atari 5200, you can get used to the stock controllers. I haven't played with the MasterPlay interface, but I heard that one is also good for digital type of motion.

Then there are other custom solutions you find here and there.

Personally, I prefer the Paddle controller for Breakout, Kaboom, Megamania, and similar games.

I can also recommend Best Electronics. From them, you're gonna wanna get 2 numeric key pads, 2 auxilary pads (the top one with pause, start, reset), 4 pairs of fire buttons. It would be best to get them all with gold contacts, but in my case, I just got gold contacts for one controller & standard for the other, I've had no problems whatsoever. There are threads on here with links to instructions on replacing all that stuff including photos.

The Wico stick is my fave joystick of all time, but you're going to need a y-cable (the wico stick doesn't have all the other buttons, so it must be connected to a standard cx52 to start, pause, reset games). It is not hard to find, but expensive usually. There are members here who can sell to you.

Also, I'd definitely get one of those thumbstick controllers that niner made. It's not too often that someone offers new 5200 controllers. Hopefully you don't get the last one (I need to come up with some extra $ before they're all gone)! :D

Peace

btw,

you ARE going to need 2 cx52s for Robotron 2084 & Space Dungeon. I'm sure you'd be able to get a coupler (the plastic thing that clicks the 2 controllers side by side) from someone on here as well.

Peace

You can play them with one controller as well but yes, they are better with two. I just wish they did Crazy Climber.

Allan

From my experience, cleaned/repaired default sticks - the ones with the nice rubber boot around the analog stick - work GREAT. No problem with most of the games. Some of the original sticks didn't have the rubber boot , or not as much of it. The rubber boot is a quasi self-centering mechanism. But personally I also like to hook up my Masterplay interface on 1-button games and use a Genesis pad. AA used to sell the 5200 Redemption adaptor (use 2600 type sticks on 5200) but its been discontinued evidently.

I never found a joystick coupler (wish I had one) so I made my own out of cardboard and duct tape. It worked fairly well until the cardboard started to bend in places.

i love the original controller when it works

but eventually in order to get games to start i had to resort to popping of fthe start,payse,reset bezel and pressing start with a penny

btw,

you ARE going to need 2 cx52s for Robotron 2084 & Space Dungeon. I'm sure you'd be able to get a coupler (the plastic thing that clicks the 2 controllers side by side) from someone on here as well.

Peace

You can play them with one controller as well but yes, they are better with two. I just wish they did Crazy Climber.

Allan

oooooh,

That would so kick ass. Who knows? Maybe Cafeman or some other 5200 programmer will read this & it will plant a seed. *crosses fingers*.

Peace

Years ago when I got my first 5200 from a thrift (never used it though, had the funky switchbox), I was thinking on making my own custom controller.

I was going to use a keypad for a touch tone phone and some buttons.

What I wanted to do was setup the joystick portion so that when the xy axis of the joystick was in the left position, it would send the proper resistance using a resistor inline with that portion of the circuit and the opposite with the right position.

The part that got me confused was how to send a middle signal when the joystick was at rest and not being pushed to either direction. If you left it open, that would be the same as it being pushed to the side I think.

Years ago when I got my first 5200 from a thrift (never used it though, had the funky switchbox), I was thinking on making my own custom controller.

What I wanted to do was setup the joystick portion so that when the xy axis of the joystick was in the left position, it would send the proper resistance using a resistor inline with that portion of the circuit and the opposite with the right position.

The part that got me confused was how to send a middle signal when the joystick was at rest and not being pushed to either direction. If you left it open, that would be the same as it being pushed to the side I think.

this is my schematic i used but it requires the right and down buttons to be normally closed

it is no problem when using an arcade joystick that has microswitches

using a rheostat allows for minute ajustments some games have different centers i swear

i dial in my stick centering the little cursor with missile command and then i pop in pole position and the car wants to head a little left so i still have to give a little tweak to drive straight

potjoy.jpg

digitalness is great for playing kangaroo,digdug,pengo,galaxian,joust,mrdo,pitfall2,space invadersdefender,robotron,berzerk

it is completely worthless with superbreakout,kaboom,gorf,missilecommand,starwars

oh i rigged this up using 2 nc pushbuttons for right and down but i used resistors so it is very wandery

DCP_6682.jpg

it requires my y adapter similar to a wico

Edited by bohoki

Why am I so gung ho about this system when I have a perfectly working 8bit computer? LOL

I think I have an answer to that.

When I was growing up, the ultimate gaming fantasy for me was being able to replicate the "arcade" experience at home.

I would play Joust @ the arcade & come home & get an admirable rendition of it on my 2600 home console.

My buddy from school had a computer & could play certain games on his tiny screen which were arcade perfect.

Now, many years later. there are no more arcades. There is no way to get that "arcade" experience @ home. The closest we can come to it is the 5200.

Peace

The keypad portion I did by remapping the START, PAUSE, RESET to the 2, 5, and 8 keys of the Atari 2600 keyboard controller. It's available here with the connector from DB9->DB15:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320315114948

You can connect the Paddle to the other DB9 connector on the same adapter.

this is my schematic i used but it requires the right and down buttons to be normally closed

it is no problem when using an arcade joystick that has microswitches

using a rheostat allows for minute ajustments some games have different centers i swear

i dial in my stick centering the little cursor with missile command and then i pop in pole position and the car wants to head a little left so i still have to give a little tweak to drive straight

potjoy.jpg

digitalness is great for playing kangaroo,digdug,pengo,galaxian,joust,mrdo,pitfall2,space invadersdefender,robotron,berzerk

it is completely worthless with superbreakout,kaboom,gorf,missilecommand,starwars

oh i rigged this up using 2 nc pushbuttons for right and down but i used resistors so it is very wandery

DCP_6682.jpg

it requires my y adapter similar to a wico

Hey, looks like someone made my Altoids controller idea a reality! Now I'll have to think of something else to use when I'm ready to start my own tiny controller project... an NES joypad seems like the ideal candidate.

Hey, looks like someone made my Altoids controller idea a reality! Now I'll have to think of something else to use when I'm ready to start my own tiny controller project... an NES joypad seems like the ideal candidate.

yes you were my inspiration

after rigging up my frankentroller

i had some buttons left unfortunatly the nc switches i have suck and sometimes do not turn back to their closed position and its kind of like jut driving around in your car and all of a sudden the accellerator is stuck full on or the stering wheel is hard right

yea i had to i thought hey i can just put a piece of plastic or cardboard form a package to insulate the bottom

cause when i'm playing violently the top kind of pops like one of those snapple caps

but its great playing space invaders

although my thumb ends up having 4 dents

i'm suprised how good the switches work each with a 270k resistor across

it works really good with wizard of wur

Just my opinion, but I have both the standard and Wico sticks, and prefer the Atari standards. The system was programmed for analog control. When I get around to it, I may replace the fire buttons and flex circuit with Best's gold one. The fire buttons are really the only poor responding part of the controller for me. My biggest regret on the 5200 is the scarcity of some of the games, in addition to the slim library to begin with. As for the 8-bit computer, the games are no better, and frankly, the most difficult to get of any 1980's game system.

Your best solution is a home-made or original redemption/masterplay device. Since I made one I use the 5200 all the time with sega pads.

post-7533-1225439122_thumb.jpg

I say your best solution is a home-made controller. If I had the time to get the custom parts manufacturing going and resolve my one major design concern, I'd be trying to sell you one. But since I don't and I haven't, I can't. :(

If you don't like any of the controllers that are available, you can always take the insane route and build your own. Here's a prototype of one design I came up with. You might be surprised how possible it is to design and build your own with a little research, some basic tools and a lot of spare time:

post-12370-1225520729_thumb.jpg

Edited by BigO