IGNORED

Technical CV vs 5200

Crazyace

I think that the 7800 version of Gorf ( written by Gorf :) ) would actually look pretty identical on the 5200 ( with some work ) - It's not using anything on the 7800 that isn't possible on the 5200 ( just more sprites )

You'd also have a rough time of doing the sparkling shields on the 5200. It has the colors but

the video modes can't do more than 4 per scan line. You'd also have a tough time doing the

sparkling invaders and Space Warp Lines. You'd definitely achive the same graphical resolution

on the 5200. You'd also have an out of the box sound advantage with a built in pokey.

Perhaps some clever trick can be pulled off using the 5200 to fake the sparkle effect.

I think the 5200 and CV versions would be close though.

• 4 weeks later...
Nintendo graphics chip the "PPU or Picture Processing Unit" had 16kb of RAM to do all sorts of graphical stuff.

You sure the NES has that much memory? I thought it was more like 2K ram + 2K video ram.

Most later NES games had an additional 8k work ram. But the video ram is different. Although the PPU comes with 2k ram for the tilemap and attribute table(and a small amount of palette ram), the rest of the PPU address lines are mapped to the cartridge directly. You could use VRAM or VROM. The lesser games that use VRAM usually only have 8k on cart. The games that use VROM range from 16k to 512k and are able to swap in/out up to small amounts of 256byte sections or larger sections like 2/4/8k (all depends on the mapper and what regs you enable). It could swap in/out sections of VROM faster than even 32bit consoles could write ram or vram. This CHR ROM is separate from PRG ROM (data/code) address lines and mapper regs.

I did some NES emulation.

Edited by malducci