IGNORED

MAME cheats not working?

Inky

I downloaded the latest MAMEUI32 (.128u2) and for whatever reason I cannot get the new cheat system enabled. I know they revamped the thing, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to get the .zip the xml files are in to be recognized. Any ideas?

I downloaded the latest MAMEUI32 (.128u2) and for whatever reason I cannot get the new cheat system enabled. I know they revamped the thing, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to get the .zip the xml files are in to be recognized. Any ideas?

Anything MAME 0.127 or later requires a new XML style cheat format. The old "cheat.dat" file can be used for any version prior.

You can get the latest cheat XML archive from Pugsy's Cheat Forum - in particular, this link:

http://cheat.retrogames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3110

Just take the CHEAT.ZIP file out of the downloaded archive and place it in the root of your MAME install - in the same folder as MAME.EXE. Like before, the -cheat command-line trigger will allow you to have the CHEAT item come up in your TAB menu while emulation is running.

I dunno what happened, but I had to uninstall mame, then reinstall it (same version) and now it works.

I am experiencing the same issue, on both 127 and 128 (the 32 bit UI versions, downloaded from http://mameui.classicgaming.gamespy.com/.

I retried 126, and the cheats are still there. When you say "Uninstall", how did you do it - just delete the MAMEUI32.exe, or also go into the registry to delete keys? I tried just deleting the .exe and reinstalling, but had the same problem.

When using 127 or 128, I confirmed that the "Options", "Directories...", "cheats" directory is the location where the cheat.zip is located. However, when I select "Options", "Cheat file...", no window pops up to select the location - unlike when I select "history file..." or "info file...".

Any help/assistance would be appreciated...