IGNORED

What is it?

HFK

From the auction ad: "I have never played video games, so have no idea if some of these are rare or what. I have no way of testing these."

So you don't know what it is and you don't know if it works, but you think it's worth $49.99?

What is the thought process here?

Edited by Captain Beard

How were the chips programmed initially?

Step 1: Somebody buys (or borrows) new current games...not uncommon to see them priced at $30 or more back in the day.

Step 2: That person desolders the original manufactured chip from it's PCB.

Step 3: Placing the original manufactured chip in an Eprom burner, a binary file is made of it's contents.

Step 4: The original chip is placed back onto it's PCB and cartridge casing.

Step 5: The binary file is used to burn as many Eprom copies as that person desires.

Step 6: The chips are mounted to a dime-a-dozen common cartridge's PCB...or a socket added to said cartridge for generic use.

Step 7: PROFIT!

Step 8: These things turn up decades later, with discoverers considering them to be worth $$$.

Meanwhile, burned CD's are still considered to be utterly worthless ;)

Eh, I saw some chips and took a shot, what can I say? It was this same chance taking that netted me this unknown until this year proto of the unreleased Hoppin' Mad for the NES:

100_0705.jpg

That one is worth quite a bit more than a burned CD ;) . Thanks for the info, if anyone wants these they can have them for $25 shipped anywhere in the US, just shoot me a PM!

-Mark