IGNORED

5200 Emulation

Protoman

Uh, I've tried a lot of different stuff, but I can't actually get an Atari 5200 emulator to work. Can someone tell me whats the best one and how to get a game started up? I have the 5200 BIOS and the Pac-Man ROM but these emulators won't make it work. They either crash or don't load.

i considermyself a pretty stupid person

trying all the emulators here i found i like this best

http://www.a800win.atari-area.prv.pl/

i picked the installer version

upon installing it and loading it up i needed to select the 5200 rom in the 5200 section that required it

the first message will be this

5200a.jpg

you click yes

second this

5200b.jpg

you click the 5200 one and find on your computer the 5200.bin

then it will bug you with this again

5200a.jpg

this time say no

then go here

5200c.jpg

and select 5200

the when you are ready hit ctrl c and find a rom you like and click open

then you may or maynot get this popup

5200d.jpg

this one is tricky mostly all the atari carts are 2 chip so you will select 2 chip the activision ones and others are often single chip

so if it doesnt work on the one setting try the other

the main problem i have is that the 5200 joy button 2 is hardwired to the right shift and there is no way to map it to a joystick button or any other button so i used a keymapper that turned one of my joy buttons to right shift

i also find i cannot start pitfall or mario brothers

Edited by bohoki

Personally, I enjoy the Kat5200 emulator. The current version is being debugged, but the last version works with Vista. I highly recommend it.

does it let you play mario bros and pitfall?

i tried it and it wont start mariobros and the sound seems horrible

never tried the videorecorder guess its borked

Edited by bohoki

does it let you play mario bros and pitfall?

i tried it and it wont start mariobros and the sound seems horrible

Mario Bros. and Pitfall! work and play fine under kat5200. You may want to check the ROM dump you are utilizing. It may be bad if it does not work under kat5200.

There is a slight difference in sound when Mario walks as compared to Atari800Plus. Additionally, a few select sound effects in a select few titles have a slight issue. Those are the sound problems. The sound results are far from horrible. The sound is good and the emulator has a plethora of configuration options as well as the latest version containing the awesome NTSC video output feature which displays the video as close as possible to the real hardware. Explanation and examples of this video output is here:

http://www.fly.net/~ant/libs/ntsc.html

Additionally, unlike Atari800Plus, kat5200 handles the fire buttons of the 5200 controller correctly. Furthermore, if you're using a game contoller with both analog sticks and a D-Pad, only the Analog sticks can be used under Atari800Plus. kat5200 allows you to use either (or both), and whether to emulate input as digital or analog.

Perform a clean install with the latest version available here:

http://code.google.com/p/kat5200/

-Trebor

geez now i have to download visualc++ cant anybody make anything that doesnt require you to download drivers

i dont know what i am doing wrong i downloaded the rom here and when i try to select it off of demo using the / key it juse starts the demo

Edited by bohoki

geez now i have to download visualc++ cant anybody make anything that doesnt require you to download drivers

Dude, feel free to start coding. :D

Seriously, the installer found on the site I linked earlier, located here...

http://kat5200.googlecode.com/files/kat5200-0.6.1-setup.exe

...doesn't require you to download anything additional. Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable is contained in the kat5200 installer. It really doesn't get much easier than that.

All the real work was done by the emulator's author. All you need to do is download, install, and configure to your perferences.

If you're still not happy, then the real hardware may be your best bet. ;)

-Trebor

Dude, feel free to start coding. :D

Seriously, the installer found on the site I linked earlier, located here...

http://kat5200.googlecode.com/files/kat5200-0.6.1-setup.exe

...doesn't require you to download anything additional. Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable is contained in the kat5200 installer. It really doesn't get much easier than that.

All the real work was done by the emulator's author. All you need to do is download, install, and configure to your perferences.

If you're still not happy, then the real hardware may be your best bet. ;)

-Trebor

no idea why mario bros wont work ?

is the rom from atariage broken

no matter what i do it wont come off of demo mode

no matter what i do it wont come off of demo mode

Demo mode starts if you press the # button.

The game starts normal if your press Start.

post-18-1226962167_thumb.png

What ever you have mapped for the start button will begin the game for you.

-Trebor

holy crap i am the biggest retard ever

i just was impatient i thought the music rinning ane me noti being able to move it was still in demo

• 1 month later...
hey, i have a quick question. I downloaded this emulator for the 5200, followed all the directions that you gave and what keeps on happening is that the emulator crashes on me before I could do any roms. what can be wrong? any help in this matter is most appreciated.

Have you installed the 5200bios.bin and pointed the emulator to its location? It wont work without that

I tried that with the bios, the atari logo comes up, then before I could pick any roms, the emulator crashes.

It sounds like the rom file is not getting loaded correctly or your trying to load a bad rom or one from another system. Make sure that on the Machine->BIOS Files window, the Atari 5200 bios section points to the correct BIOS file. Make sure the Machine->System menu item is pointing to Atari 5200. Then go to File->Load Rom and navigate to the rom you want to load. Try several to be sure. Should work...

-Brian

Yes, finally it works and I brought up the game of "Bezerk" which reminds me of the arcade game but the problem I am having is that I can not get the guy to shoot his gun or move. I tried using all the keys on my keyboard but nothing happens. Where is the character mapping at in the darn program?

have you selected input then joystick then change joystick 1 to be keyset a?