IGNORED

Ok I am thoroughly disgusted with auction spam

Phantom

Is it me or is there an awful lot of unrelated items,

everytime I search Atari 2600, 5200, or 7800 or anything for that matter!?

I know sometimes Atari will come up in PC games and such so I try to be specific on atleast the exact system items I am searching for and I get 80% or more Fluff with everything from Bally Arcade to new stuff like Xbox and zillions of nes, snes, PS, you name it, it comes up and nothing I want to spend time on or am looking for. Nothing relevant to my specific search and yet I have to wade through it all.

Imagine if they didnt have gallery pics for all items now?

It would be 10x's more a problem!!!! :x

I thought you werent supposed to spam like that if you're a seller or you could get your autcions taken down? That change somehow?

All I know is it seems to be happening more and more to where they may as well just call the whole damn thing Video games and be done with it.

Im quite sick of wasting time looking at irrelevant BS. :x

Edited by Phantom

LOL here's an example of one of my ePay searches - this is what you have to do now because of all the garbage listings :)

[the - eliminates any stuff with that in the title...]

atari (put the list of carts you want in here) -xbox -ps2 -arcade -mame -PC -NES -playstation -SNES -nintendo -sega -CD -DVD -amiga -ST -flashback

Edited by anicetyguy

LOL here's an example of one of my ePay searches - this is what you have to do now because of all the garbage listings :)

atari (put the list of carts you want in here) -xbox -ps2 -arcade -mame -PC -NES -playstation -SNES -nintendo -sega -CD -DVD -amiga -ST -flashback

I do use a similar saved search BUT it still gives me alotta crapola.

Not as many - as you use but enough that I never used to get all this extra BS.

The problem is sellers are spamming. They are putting every system imaginable in their listings by saying we sell this, this, and this and on and on and THAT is why I cant get no good searches.

If something is mixed with NES stuff, fine. I may want to see that.

But to be selling one PS2 game and having 100's others just like it show up in a search is more than annoying these days. Maybe youre right. maybe I have to list every damn system imagineable other than Atari when I search but then I would miss some weird items that way too.

Its just beyond enough already and Ebay could care less.

If I search for atari, I shouldnt have to see every game system imagingeable, shoes or feminine hygeine products and on and on and on. Well, enough ranting for me. Cheers

HAHAHAHAHA That's as bad as my typical search string. Almost a paragraph long!

-pinball -2600 -400/800 -cartridge -nike -xbox -ps1 -ps2 -ps3 -psp -wii -jamma -hits -hoodie -tshirt could be added to that.

I usually don't look for 2600/400/800 stuff.

While not just for ebay, I have a txt file with my search strings saved. It comes in handy for some other sites too.

Edited by Noelio

One other tip: you can put the list of exclusions in a set of parenthesis too, e.g.

-(nes,ps1,ps2,ps3,so on and so forth)

Beware, though, exclusions will also keep you from seeing listings you want when those sellers keyword spam!

Gotta love those numbnuts who do things like "RARE Atari 2600 Quadrun Not NES SNES" etc!

Also, in advanced search you can exclude certain sellers, in case there are any whose listings amount to noise for ya! :ponder:

Also, in advanced search you can exclude certain sellers, in case there are any whose listings amount to noise for ya! :ponder:

I have to find that. I tried to do that last night with Electric Quarter because just using the -Electric Quarter does not work and I couldnt find an exclusion section for sellers,only inclusion.

I guess I didnt look hard enough. Thanks because theres a few I would love to weed out.

Cheers ;) :)

atari box -jaguar -lynx -"switch box" -"rf adaptor" -ps2 -psx -playstation -gamecube -"game cube" -xbox -pc -cd -anniversary -"atari st" -5200 -"dig-dug" -"dig dug" -"indy 500" -"pole position" -"power supply" -"space invaders" -"atari xe" -"atari xl" -"atari 800" -"atari 600" -rf -"donkey kong"

That was a search I used to use for boxed games, haven't tried it in a while but I remember I was still getting garbage I didn't want and if you don't want to find atari home computers, too bad. I can't possibly get rid of the computer results.

This problem has become much worse recently because ebay changed the way its search system works.

It used to be that searches would only return items with the specified terms in the title (or title and description if you so chose), but now the searches include many items with no meaningful relationship to the search query.

It is annoying, isn't it?

Although, I now notice that it stops working if you get sucked into their "new search experience!"

If I opt out (again!) the exclusions return.

Hopefully it's just a bug that will get fixed before they make the new experience the only experience.

I wish I could permanently opt out of it, there was nothing wrong with the old way! :x