IGNORED

eBay does it again!

lemoncurry

I just realized, now all of a sudden, even the winner of eBay auctions is obfuscated, not just the losers.

Does anyone recall any announcement about this? What's the justification this time? How is showing the high bidder not "keeping eBay a safe place for buyers"?

Chalk another one up for the shill bidders...

Yeah, that was done just in the last couple of days. I remember checking prices a couple of days ago and being able to see the high bidders ID. Well I guess in a bad economy shilling is now fully accepted. Ebay reminds me of the pigs in animal farm who slowly took away the fellow animals rights. In fact Ebay even has it's own propaganda pig that tells us that all these changes are for our "good".

Yeah, that was done just in the last couple of days. I remember checking prices a couple of days ago and being able to see the high bidders ID. Well I guess in a bad economy shilling is now fully accepted. Ebay reminds me of the pigs in animal farm who slowly took away the fellow animals rights. In fact Ebay even has it's own propaganda pig that tells us that all these changes are for our "good".

I think they have many such pigs.

..Al

I have got 3 second chance offers in the last month. Seems a little weird to me. I passed on all of them and they were relisted. They were bumped by the seller.

Yeah, they made it easy now to shill bid and try to get every last penny out of the runners-up with second chance offers.

They still let you see "percentage of activity with this seller," but that's easy to manipulate, just place low bids on some other sellers' items...

Update: I just noticed that at least some auctions still show the high bidders, I saw a completed UK auction that still showed it.

Oddly, it even shows when viewing it on the US ebay.com...

From there, it occurred to me to try something else, and it turns out you can still see high bidders on US auctions by going through the "view seller's other items" link, then setting it to view completed listings, and finally by clicking the "Text-only format" link!

At least, until they realize their oversight...

It still obfuscates auctions in progress but it shows the high bidder on completed ones. Not on the ones that say "See Buyers" though (i.e. BINs).

Edited by lemoncurry

Here is ebay's announcement on the subject.

Ebay reminds me of the pigs in animal farm who slowly took away the fellow animals rights. In fact Ebay even has it's own propaganda pig that tells us that all these changes are for our "good".

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others" :D

Edited by Almost Rice

Here is ebay's announcement on the subject.

Ebay reminds me of the pigs in animal farm who slowly took away the fellow animals rights. In fact Ebay even has it's own propaganda pig that tells us that all these changes are for our "good".

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others" :D

"Five stars good, Four Stars baaaaaaaad." :D

I think they have many such pigs.

..Al

It's the old saying you can put lipstick on a pig . . . LOL

Edited by igg1na

Sorry i hadn't noticed. With Chase the Chuckwagon doing everything right as compared to eBay which has become an epic failure i fail to see why anyone wastes their time with eBunk anymore. *shrugs* The Chuckwagon is where it's at. :)

I'll tell you why I don't sell on CTCC. Before I sell anything on eBay, I always offer it up for sale here, as I don't actually want to have to deal with eBay. After days or even weeks, if no one here wants it then I auction it off. Now why would I auction it off on a site who's primary users seem to be the same people who visit this site? If they didn't want it here they aren't going to want it there. I go to eBay because I get a whole new audience (of mostly mouth-breathers.) So instead of auctioning something off on CTCC I would always just offer it for sale here in the marketplace forum.

Just my two pesos.

Chris

yeah, not too hard to find 'unusual' behavior (link) but it would be nice to be able to lookup feedback etc. to verify.

I thought protecting privacy is why we didn't use our real names but userID's instead?

Sorry i hadn't noticed. With Chase the Chuckwagon doing everything right as compared to eBay which has become an epic failure i fail to see why anyone wastes their time with eBunk anymore. *shrugs* The Chuckwagon is where it's at.

yeah, I finally signed up tonight. Honestly I'm not thrilled, but I guess it's the way it's going to have to be--"where it's at" is a bit of a stretch though. The fact is that ebay's still 'where it's at' and it will stay that way until joe average realizes that outside of everything being there, the ebay system itself sucks. When ebay goes I'm going to hurt. No one spot will have even close to ebay's selection.

chuck wagon's now in my 'regular rounds' list, but I don't know about it. Seems too much like an auction site for sellers, and while I've encountered most of the people on that site here, it seems like if it grows the feedback system will prove useless. and the site really needs to grow to gather much of my attention.

why doesn't ebay just stop sucking? Their old system practically prints money.

Edited by Reaperman

Sorry i hadn't noticed. With Chase the Chuckwagon doing everything right as compared to eBay which has become an epic failure i fail to see why anyone wastes their time with eBunk anymore. *shrugs* The Chuckwagon is where it's at. :)

I'll tell you why I don't sell on CTCC. Before I sell anything on eBay, I always offer it up for sale here, as I don't actually want to have to deal with eBay. After days or even weeks, if no one here wants it then I auction it off. Now why would I auction it off on a site who's primary users seem to be the same people who visit this site? If they didn't want it here they aren't going to want it there. I go to eBay because I get a whole new audience (of mostly mouth-breathers.) So instead of auctioning something off on CTCC I would always just offer it for sale here in the marketplace forum.

Just my two pesos.

Chris

Hey Chris -

It doesn't cost you anything to list so why not try it out. I think you would be very surprised. If everyone thought that way, then we wouldn't be having any activity and there is lots of activity and tremendous success. We are over 1,400 members made up from people here there and everywhere.

Here is a thread on our forums which should erase your doubt to at least try it: http://www.chasingthechuckwagon.com/upload...isplay.php?f=17. We have had our share of people who share your same outlook, and then get prooved completely wrong after actually using it with some regularity and trying it out.