IGNORED

TV/FM tuner and a model 2 Game Gear

shadow460

I read that the BIOS in a Model 2 Game Gear will not support the TV tuner. I also read this is the case with the Majesco units. Well, it is only partly true for the TV tuner and may be completely false for the FM radio tuner if one does exist.

I have two model 2 Game Gears, and I tried the NTSC TV tuner in one of them. I also got to try it out in a Majesco Game Gear. Both Gears will pull in an audio signal just fine, but they display a white picture only. A third one which did the same thing, but I don't know if it was a Model 1 or not.

Now, the entire USA FM radio spectrum sits between channel 6 and channel 7 on our NTSC analog TV dial. Our frequencies on a typical FM radio range from 88 to 108 MHz. This is not affected by the switch to DTV, either. What this means is that if there is indeed an FM radio for the Game Gear, one will still be able to listen to their favorite FM station even after the switch. Further, since the TV tuner does provide an audio signal, as long as the FM station can be tuned in one can listen on any model of Game Gear.

Finally, the switch to DTV only affects stations that operate above a certain power level. I do not know what that power level is, but it's above what a typical radio station uses. There may still be some analog broadcasts from local stations that the TV tuner can pick up.

EDIT: Just got Wild 104.9 in Oklahoma City on the TV Tuner at two separate points on the dial. They did station break twice. The higher frequency must have been a harmonic. Still had the white screen but if I'd liked hip hop I'd have been rocking out. I should be able to pick up KOMA here in a few minutes when they turn the other two transmitters on, tripling their power output for the night.

NBC, ABC, and CBS's audio signals are loud and clear. By the way, I'm on a Model 2 Game Gear which pops the "Produced by or under license from" screen before each and every game.

Where's nathanallan when you need him? :D

I suspect the BIOS is now looking for some kind of signature on the cart before letting the video load, and the TV tuner lacks this signature.

So, a couple of questions:

First, how does the Model 2 and 3 Game Gear's BIOS block the picture from the TV tuner? Is there a way around it?

Second, is there a pocket sized DTV box on the market that can be made to run on batteries?

Edited by shadow460