IGNORED

Atari 800 64K Memory Mod

Tempest

I think I asked this before, but I don't remember if I got an answer.

Is it possible to modifiy an Atari 800 so it has 64K and will be compatible with all the XE software? I love the look and feel of my Atari 800, but it won't play all my XE games. Currently I'm using an Atari 130XE, but damn are those things ugly!

Tempest

I think I asked this before, but I don't remember if I got an answer.  

Is it possible to modifiy an Atari 800 so it has 64K and will be compatible with all the XE software?  I love the look and feel of my Atari 800, but it won't play all my XE games.  Currently I'm using an Atari 130XE, but damn are those things ugly!

Tempest

Matt,

If you can find a Mosiac 64K ram card it will actually give the system 52K of RAM, also interestingly enough, the BIT3-80 column card, when enabled also gives an 800 4 extra K of RAM.

The bigger problem is not so much the memory, its the OS, many of the XE games will only work with the XL/XE OS mapping and bankswitching on larger games, unfortunately there is nothing you can do short of mod'ing your 800 to death into a frankenstein 800XL to get compatibility... you'll just have to keep an XL or XE handy for certain games that the 800 can't tackle.

Curt

I wonder if it's possible to do some kind of dual boot OS?  Probably not, but it would be neat.  

Tempest

It would be possible, CSS had an upgrade for 3 OS's; 800/(XL/XE)/Warp+(?THEIR VERSION?-not sure if that's what it was called or if that's only with APE...anyhow, on my XE, I can use the translator and use the XE OS and APE's Warp+(or whatever it's called), I know there were other OS's for the 800 as well, but none I know of for XE compatiblity...but I think it could be done.