IGNORED

Atari v Commodore

stevelanc

yea, and how about that Eidolon.

Eidolon is also better on XL for the same reason than Rescue on Fractalus is better on XL. As far i know they use exactly the same routines.

the cave in Eidolon are just the Fractal mountain of Rescue on Fractalus reversed top to down.

How about a multiplatform comparison of some good game that's been done on all four systems (Amiga, Atari ST, Atari, and C64) to see how much they actually improve things from one platform to another...

Any game in mind?

Rainbow Islands is a good one for C64 -> Atari ST/Amiga , I guess - ( Arkanoid for all 4 platforms maybe? )

I don't have same games for all 4 platforms (if they even exist) but here's the ones I like still:

Star Leaguge Baseball (Atari 8-bit)-- blocky players but very good playability and control.

Arkanoid (Amiga)

Pac-Man (Atari 8-bit)

Donkey Kong (Atari 8-bit)

Space Invaders (Atari 8-bit 4K version)

Joust (Atari 8-bit)

ChessMaster (Amiga)

Emerald Mine (Amiga)

Pole Position II and Ms. Pac-man (Atari 7800)-- any better versions of these for the 4 systems mentioned?

Any game in mind?

Rainbow Islands is a good one for C64 -> Atari ST/Amiga , I guess - ( Arkanoid for all 4 platforms maybe? )

I don't have same games for all 4 platforms (if they even exist) but here's the ones I like still:

Star Leaguge Baseball (Atari 8-bit)-- blocky players but very good playability and control.

Arkanoid (Amiga)

Pac-Man (Atari 8-bit)

Joust (Atari 8-bit)

ChessMaster (Amiga)

Emerald Mine (Amiga)

Pole Position II and Ms. Pac-man (Atari 7800)-- any better versions of these for the 4 systems mentioned?

I think Donkey Kong is better on C64 . There is (at least) 2 official port of Donkey Kong , one done by Atari Soft and the other by OCEAN. Both are very good, but i have a little preference for the OCEAN version that keeps the aspect/ratio of the arcade.

Concerning JOUST , the Atari ST version was really good!!

Any game in mind?

Arkanoid (Amiga)

Pac-Man (Atari 8-bit)

Joust (Atari 8-bit)

ChessMaster (Amiga)

Emerald Mine (Amiga)

I think Donkey Kong is better on C64 . There is (at least) 2 official port of Donkey Kong , one done by Atari Soft and the other by OCEAN. Both are very good, but i have a little preference for the OCEAN version that keeps the aspect/ratio of the arcade.

Pole Position II is also on the C64 on Youtube (I put it there) if you want to compare.

Arkanoid on the C64 is a really nice piece of coding, and the music is amazing due to the sample playback on the virtual 4th sound channel.

Ocean's Donkey Kong for the C64 plays pretty much the same as the arcade and for me is the best version of all 4 (don't know if the 24th screen bug happens on any home version though...the mythical kill screen)

It's hard to say exactly what is "today's PCs" since hardware varies with various systems. If you go by standard hardware (present in >95% of PCs), they can't fully emulate the Amiga nor Atari nor some other machines brute force or otherwise.

My old Thinkpad T23 runs Atari 800 WinPLus 4.0 (and STEem), my desktop PC runs UAE, both without slowdowns. Could you be precise and tell me wich part of the hardware of these computers modern PCs can't emulate by sheer brute force?

Thorsten

You need about 850mhz Pentium III laptop to run Amiga 32bit AGA games on UAE and around 650mhz for the older 16bit Amiga 500. However, the games do not scroll as smoothly or frame accurately as a real Amiga (and they still don't on a Dual Core Laptop/PC). Emulation is one thing, coding games on a machine designed to be programmed for 2D graphics with specific raster line accurate controls like the Copper chip on a fixed hardware platform are NOT the same thing at all.

So they can be emulated but you will never duplicate it because a PC running Windows NEVER gives you 100% control of the machine, unlike a real Amiga running machine code. So it depends what the OP is referring to.

Any game in mind?

Arkanoid (Amiga)

Pac-Man (Atari 8-bit)

Joust (Atari 8-bit)

ChessMaster (Amiga)

Emerald Mine (Amiga)

The thing that kills Donkey Kong on the C64 is the speed. That also applies to the Colecovision version as well. Not only does the 8-bit version look great, it's fast and incredibly challenging at the later levels.

Any game in mind?

Arkanoid (Amiga)

Pac-Man (Atari 8-bit)

Joust (Atari 8-bit)

ChessMaster (Amiga)

Emerald Mine (Amiga)

I think I have some non-commercial version of Joust for Atari ST then since the 8-bit Atari Joust is better than the Atari ST Joust as far as fast smooth motion, exact collision points, etc.

It's hard to say exactly what is "today's PCs" since hardware varies with various systems. If you go by standard hardware (present in >95% of PCs), they can't fully emulate the Amiga nor Atari nor some other machines brute force or otherwise.

My old Thinkpad T23 runs Atari 800 WinPLus 4.0 (and STEem), my desktop PC runs UAE, both without slowdowns. Could you be precise and tell me wich part of the hardware of these computers modern PCs can't emulate by sheer brute force?

Thorsten

You need about 850mhz Pentium III laptop to run Amiga 32bit AGA games on UAE and around 650mhz for the older 16bit Amiga 500. However, the games do not scroll as smoothly or frame accurately as a real Amiga (and they still don't on a Dual Core Laptop/PC). Emulation is one thing, coding games on a machine designed to be programmed for 2D graphics with specific raster line accurate controls like the Copper chip on a fixed hardware platform are NOT the same thing at all.

So they can be emulated but you will never duplicate it because a PC running Windows NEVER gives you 100% control of the machine, unlike a real Amiga running machine code. So it depends what the OP is referring to.

That's true that Amiga games usually go directly to hardware registers (since they are standard) and thus give you a more efficient product. However, even if your emulator went directly to standard hardware on PCs, you'll have a hard time getting the same effects of many Amiga games since standard PC hardware wasn't designed for scrolling, sprites, timing video beam, dynamically manipulating audio registers, etc. Newer hardware has some of this stuff but it's non-standard so you have to resort to API calls which then restrict the useage.

Any game in mind?

Arkanoid (Amiga)

Pac-Man (Atari 8-bit)

Joust (Atari 8-bit)

ChessMaster (Amiga)

Emerald Mine (Amiga)

Pole Position II is also on the C64 on Youtube (I put it there) if you want to compare.

Arkanoid on the C64 is a really nice piece of coding, and the music is amazing due to the sample playback on the virtual 4th sound channel.

Ocean's Donkey Kong for the C64 plays pretty much the same as the arcade and for me is the best version of all 4 (don't know if the 24th screen bug happens on any home version though...the mythical kill screen)

I didn't think there was a Donkey Kong for Amiga. What's link to Pole Pos. II, Arkanoid, and Donkey Kong for c64?

Thorsten

That's true that Amiga games usually go directly to hardware registers (since they are standard) and thus give you a more efficient product. However, even if your emulator went directly to standard hardware on PCs, you'll have a hard time getting the same effects of many Amiga games since standard PC hardware wasn't designed for scrolling, sprites, timing video beam, dynamically manipulating audio registers, etc. Newer hardware has some of this stuff but it's non-standard so you have to resort to API calls which then restrict the useage.

Dave Haney and Bil Herd have both mentioned in some of their online talks that modern day video cards all by themselves could easily emulate the Amiga OS and hardware.

Any game in mind?

Arkanoid (Amiga)

Pac-Man (Atari 8-bit)

Joust (Atari 8-bit)

ChessMaster (Amiga)

Emerald Mine (Amiga)

I didn't think there was a Donkey Kong for Amiga. What's link to Pole Pos. II, Arkanoid, and Donkey Kong for c64?

Bignononia "ported" the Atari C64 version over to the Amiga. It's actually pretty good and has an additional screen if you grab all of Pauline's items. Actually check out all of their conversions. They released Zaxxon and Popeye among others.

Edited by TwiliteZoner

Any game in mind?

Arkanoid (Amiga)

Pac-Man (Atari 8-bit)

Joust (Atari 8-bit)

ChessMaster (Amiga)

Emerald Mine (Amiga)

I think I have some non-commercial version of Joust for Atari ST then since the 8-bit Atari Joust is better than the Atari ST Joust as far as fast smooth motion, exact collision points, etc.

The 8bit version feels more like the arcade. The St version looks more like it and is an Excellent version, maybe too polished.

Any game in mind?

Arkanoid (Amiga)

Pac-Man (Atari 8-bit)

Joust (Atari 8-bit)

ChessMaster (Amiga)

Emerald Mine (Amiga)

I had a Donkey Kong version on Atari St (i don't remember the name it was not donkey kong) , it was a public domain and it was really excellent. If i remember well there was not Mario but a guy with yellow hairs. Except that it was the same.

Bignononia "ported" the Atari C64 version over to the Amiga. It's actually pretty good and has an additional screen if you grab all of Pauline's items. Actually check out all of their conversions. They released Zaxxon and Popeye among others.

Never knew about that - found a

, the extra screen starts at 5:10.

Any game in mind?

Arkanoid (Amiga)

Pac-Man (Atari 8-bit)

Joust (Atari 8-bit)

ChessMaster (Amiga)

Emerald Mine (Amiga)

I had a Donkey Kong version on Atari St (i don't remember the name it was not donkey kong) , it was a public domain and it was really excellent. If i remember well there was not Mario but a guy with yellow hairs. Except that it was the same.

You are thinking of Dave Munsie's excellent Kid Kong. There is another thread over in the ST forum on the various Donkey Kong games for the ST. All 2 of them. :) Well, 3 if you count the Monochrome version of Monkey Business.

There are actually 2 versions of Kid Kong. One with a Mario character and the other with the Rainbow Islands Kid character. The full version of the Mario version is nowhere to be found on the internet. I emailed Dave and he said when he gets the time he thinks its on his MegaSTE hard drive. I hope at some point he posts it.

As far as Amiga games go, those sound effects and music are shit... even the Atari 800 version beats it.

In fact, the 2600 version almost beats it.

Yeah the sound effects are not going to blow you away. I was just pointing out the alternatives for the Amiga. All things considered they are pretty good.

You are thinking of Dave Munsie's excellent Kid Kong. There is another thread over in the ST forum on the various Donkey Kong games for the ST. All 2 of them. :) Well, 3 if you count the Monochrome version of Monkey Business.

There are actually 2 versions of Kid Kong. One with a Mario character and the other with the Rainbow Islands Kid character. The full version of the Mario version is nowhere to be found on the internet. I emailed Dave and he said when he gets the time he thinks its on his MegaSTE hard drive. I hope at some point he posts it.

Yes , it was Kid Kong!!! Thanks! I hadn't noticed it was the Rainbow Islands Kid !!!! :)

Thorsten

Dave Haney and Bil Herd have both mentioned in some of their online talks that modern day video cards all by themselves could easily emulate the Amiga OS and hardware.

Don't know these people but I'm sure hardware can be built to emulate any of the classic machines and these video cards are being built every year with newer and newer features. However, I haven't seen many video cards that run on their own with audio features, programmable timers, joystick interfaces, etc...

Challenge is to emulate them using standard PC hardware so it works with practically any machine.

I personally loved bignoninas stuff and there were lots of other cool old games remade on the amiga, like mega phoenix and so many others. there was also a space invaders that was circular that i loved.

What about Frogger? Did they ever port that to Amiga? I think the Atari 2600 Frogger is pretty good; it seemed more difficult than Atari 800 version until I saw that it uses modulo arithmetic so that the frog can stay on the log and come out on the other side. Without the modulo, it's almost impossible to get the frog into the upper left hole.

Also, I prefer the 2D frogger over these 3D clones I have seen on PC-- the 3D view hides some things (like 3D chess).