IGNORED

Atari v Commodore

stevelanc

yeah what u want are some really good title screens like these:

grandprixsimulator_c64_gonzo.png

allterrainvehiclesimulator_c64_gonzo.png

:D

Steve

:D but why are you not touching Atari gfx then? ;)

Can anyone post the Atari screenshots for those games, I know GP Simulator was ported to the A8 too....was reading a review of it in Atari user whilst on the bog just yesterday where the reviewer claimed Fleetwood Mac did the title tunes for the TV coverage :?:

was reading a review of it in Atari user whilst on the bog just yesterday where the reviewer claimed Fleetwood Mac did the title tunes for the TV coverage :?:

'The Chain' is the name of the song by Fleetwood Mac..

So the F1 music on BBC 1s F1 race coverage even today long after Murray Walker has been silenced is a Fleetwood Mac tune? lol I never knew.

I am interested to get into sid music a little bit more.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good sid player? I am interested in either a good standalone or plug-in for foobar.

Any help is appreciated.

Java SIDPlay2 is coming along nicely, it's the one I use daily, has really good filter/noise emulation. http://jsidplay2.sourceforge.net/jsidplay2.jnlp

Or afaik you can run vice as just a sid player and the new floating point SID emulation in there is supposed to be really good but then you don't get a real "player" gui like you do with the java one.

Pete

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good sid player? I am interested in either a good standalone or plug-in for foobar.

Any help is appreciated.

Sidplay/W 2.5 would be the puppy you'll be wanting..

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=76056

It's got the ResidFP emulation in it, though you'll need a fair portion of CPU to run it.. ~2Mhz or so is required..

And I assume you know of the High Voltage Sid Collection ?

http://www.hvsc.c64.org/

Any help is appreciated.

Sidplay/W 2.5 would be the puppy you'll be wanting..

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=76056

It's got the ResidFP emulation in it, though you'll need a fair portion of CPU to run it.. ~2Mhz or so is required..

And I assume you know of the High Voltage Sid Collection ?

http://www.hvsc.c64.org/

~2mhz!! say it ain't so?!?! ;)

Pete

Steve

Can anyone post the Atari screenshots for those games, I know GP Simulator was ported to the A8 too....was reading a review of it in Atari user whilst on the bog just yesterday where the reviewer claimed Fleetwood Mac did the title tunes for the TV coverage :?:

http.//g2f.atari8.info

you find your pics in the g2f gallery...

Steve

http.//g2f.atari8.info

That's where those 2 are from if you check the image url ;) Bad Ste!! using G2F'd versions instead of the C64 ones!! ;)

Pete

I can categorically state that there is no 3D calculating co-processor capability in any 8bit micro, CPU speed and efficiency is all you can rely on as well as optimising your code down to the last fetch/execute cycle in Assembler.

Please note that the organization of the video ram makes a difference too.

C64, BBC, Atari ST :thumbsdown:

A8 :thumbsup:

Steve

http.//g2f.atari8.info

That's where those 2 are from if you check the image url ;) Bad Ste!! using G2F'd versions instead of the C64 ones!! ;)

Pete

They are the same, because g2f Atari versions are exact rip-offs of C64 screens. ;) There are many other pictures ripped off from C64 on this site. There are even screens from c64's green beret lol. :D

These ones are from C64 :cool:

post-24409-125253442513_thumb.gif

post-24409-125253443938_thumb.gif

They are the same, because g2f Atari versions are exact rip-offs of C64 screens. ;) There are many other pictures ripped off from C64 on this site. There are even screens from c64's green beret lol. :D
Conversions mate not rip-offs

"Conversions" are fine with me, as long as we do not forget that they are not drawn on Atari, but taken from C64. ;)

They're just converted to A8 using G2F to show it is possible to have C64 style bitmaps, so saying they're exact ripoffs just proves the A8 can do it ;) Although possibly with very carefully chosen ones :) Nah, it's surprising what's possible with the playfields, PMGs, colour changes and a bigger palette. C64 can of course underlay sprites for extra colours and do IFLI and all the other modes but then is limited to 16 colours. Swings and roundabouts really.

Pete

Yea, no worries, everyone's aware that they are c64 titles, they are converted for the sake of it. I've done quite a few myself, it's fun to figure out how to recreate them. There is also a lot of original art of course in the archive not just the conversions although there are many of them in there. The gallery only has a selection of pics displayed.

Edited by Tezz

I wasn't pointing that out to you btw Tezz, should've replied to Rockford really instead of you, just in case you thought I was having a poke at you ;)

Pete

:D no it's ok, I know you didn't mean anything directed. It was just a general reply back from me about the convertions. There's been a lot of good artists on the c64 so it's kinda nice to bring some of the work over. I also like to patch the loading pics on to the A8 games for the sake of a reason to use them. Most of the uk releases were cassette so they didn't even get the usual lazy reduced colour pic at all.

I wasn't pointing that out to you btw Tezz, should've replied to Rockford really instead of you, just in case you thought I was having a poke at you ;)

Pete

:D no it's ok, I know you didn't mean anything directed. It was just a general reply back from me about the convertions. There's been a lot of good artists on the c64 so it's kinda nice to bring some of the work over. I also like to patch the loading pics on to the A8 games for the sake of a reason to use them. Most of the uk releases were cassette so they didn't even get the usual lazy reduced colour pic at all.

u might want to convert these then:

ballblazer.gif

dropzone.gif

green_beret.gif

i think these are available on the a8 :)

and these 2 should load right in :)

lethal_weapon_1.gif

lethal_weapon_2.gif

Steve

As far as I remember from playing both of these, on screens with more objects the c64 one does slow down more than the Atari version. I remember a screen witha freakish dalek type thing and that was the only other moving object on screen and the framerate on the c64 dropped considerably. Without playing them both trough again I can only rely on memory. From memory, win for A8.

Colours aren't really that different, the stuff in the "panel" on a8 not being a different colour is just lazy coding again. The colour ram "trim" along the bottom edges on c64, well, superfluous really. Why the A8 coder decided to keep changing the bg colour instead of leaving it black I suppose is just personal taste. I think it looks better with bg always black, A8 they've obviously gone, "hey, we've got alllll these colours to chose one so let's choose a dark shade of whatever the rest of the screen is." All those little touches like the panel objects not being a different colour when it's relatively easy are again what keeps letting the A8 down. Win for C64, barely.

Music, win for C64.

Pete

Sorry, gotta say tha c64 music is super grating! Though I feel that way about all c64 music. Just doesnt have that arcade sound. Sounds like a cheap crappy synth,instead of an arcade.

"Conversions" are fine with me, as long as we do not forget that they are not drawn on Atari, but taken from C64. ;)

Explains why conversions often look crappy. Glad to have them but they would be better than the c64 version had they been written on a8 in the 1st place.

Steve

Good stuff. Were they used in anything back then or just part of your portfolio of work?

EDIT * I've since read the info on the page they were linked from. Did you do the non profit pics for yourself or was it partly to showcase your work at the time for future jobs? They are well done, I recall many of your commercial pictures from back then.

Edited by Tezz

Pete

ballblazer.gif

dropzone.gif

green_beret.gif

i think these are available on the a8 :)

and these 2 should load right in :)

lethal_weapon_1.gif

lethal_weapon_2.gif

Steve

Instead C64 can try to convert:

post-6191-125254740706_thumb.png post-6191-12525474164_thumb.png post-6191-125254742544_thumb.png