IGNORED

Atari v Commodore

stevelanc

I wasn't pointing that out to you btw Tezz, should've replied to Rockford really instead of you, just in case you thought I was having a poke at you ;)

Pete

:D no it's ok, I know you didn't mean anything directed. It was just a general reply back from me about the convertions. There's been a lot of good artists on the c64 so it's kinda nice to bring some of the work over. I also like to patch the loading pics on to the A8 games for the sake of a reason to use them. Most of the uk releases were cassette so they didn't even get the usual lazy reduced colour pic at all.

u might want to convert these then:

ballblazer.gif

dropzone.gif

green_beret.gif

i think these are available on the a8 :)

and these 2 should load right in :)

lethal_weapon_1.gif

lethal_weapon_2.gif

Steve

was there a reason why you used only 4 colours for the last 2 pics? for artistic reasons? :)

was there a reason why you used only 4 colours for the last 2 pics? for artistic reasons? :)

3 reasons really

1 there were at the time several artists rendering "photographic" style stuff in greyscale on the 64 (namely Bob Stevenson (BOB), Paul Docherty (Dokk) and Steve Thompson (SIT)) these were my contribution to the genre.

2 any attempt to add white to one of these as highlight would probaby cause massive attribute clash or just scream WHITE! at u because its luminosity would be so overpowering as to ruin the effect.

3. the 64 has only 3 shades of grey and black :D which tbh is enough to render b&w images well at 160x200 in multicolour mode thru the use of dithering to get a few more shades.

if u want to see more go to http://www.c64.com/ click "pictures" in the top left blue menu and my stuff is on the short list that appears along with that of Dokk and a few others. sorry i can't give a direct link but the site is done in frames so direct links to areas of it arent available.

Steve

They are the same, because g2f Atari versions are exact rip-offs of C64 screens. ;) There are many other pictures ripped off from C64 on this site. There are even screens from c64's green beret lol. :D
Conversions mate not rip-offs

"Conversions" are fine with me, as long as we do not forget that they are not drawn on Atari, but taken from C64. ;)

Explains why conversions often look crappy. Glad to have them but they would be better than the c64 version had they been written on a8 in the 1st place.

Here we go again....shoulda, coulda, woulda.... :D

And to follow this direction....

I would have bought A C64 ...

If it had a 2MHz CPU

If it had a good colour palette

If it had a better Keyboard

If the floppy worked at a better speed from scratch

The C64 would have been a good machine, but it was a cheap machine.

Hey Lazarus don't be so cruel on atarians :D

No cruelty there, just realism.

I'm still laughing at the fact that they changed rules in Archon, because many other computers were not able to simply show 6 different shades of one colour...

C64 ,Speccy, Amstrad.... it took almost 7 years to have some "better" colour choice available for home computers.

C64 also could have been a great computer, if it got placed where you find the VIC20 ..., in 1980. At least the slow CPU was no point to blame on, then.

Edited by emkay

If it had a 2MHz CPU

Well, C64 turned out to be a better computer, simple as that. You know, history never lies ;) By the way, wasn't Atari 800XL cheaper than C64 :D

Instead C64 can try to convert:

post-6191-125254740706_thumb.png post-6191-12525474164_thumb.png post-6191-125254742544_thumb.png

Those pictures have been taken from the C64 version of Test Drive in the first place, so why convert them back again?

Hey Lazarus don't be so cruel on atarians :D

You mean don't be so cruel on the C64ers'. Here's the Test Drive screenshot, talken from the C64 god site Lemon64 (wonder why it's called Lemon, poor choice of name, if you ask me. But the the C64 was more lemon than peach).

Can't you get anything right?

test_drive_04.gif

Test Drive is still an excellent game on C64 though, as it was written by a US company, called Accolade, in case you UK guys don't know.

And here's one C64 screenshot just for you, Rocky:

AmauroteC64.jpg

BTW, aren't you dead yet?

Edited by frenchman

If it had a 2MHz CPU

Well, C64 turned out to be a better computer, simple as that. You know, history never lies ;) By the way, wasn't Atari 800XL cheaper than C64 :D

BTW, wasn't the Spectrum cheaper than the C64 :D

Ballblazer would go well in Interlace... help iron out some of those near-horizontal jaggies.

ewww I can't stand interlace ;) I know some colours don't flicker as badly and even less so on 60hz but why swap one compromise for another? Maybe some people don't mind it but I'd rather look at a picture and have it stay still if it isn't "meant" to animate ;)

Pete

If it had a 2MHz CPU

What's the use of having bigger palette of colours if you cannot use them in games. :roll: Scroll up, please, I've been showing many examples of that. There are 10 so far, but much more will be coming ;)

Edited by Rockford

You know, UKers didn't even own a C64 fdd, all games came on tape. Activision even had to release Little Computer People on tape, with over half of the options missing. How sad is that?

If it had a 2MHz CPU

Yup, maybe something to do with it outselling the commie ;) I had both, sold the speccy. I would've liked an A8 at the time if only for the sake of it, but it seemed pointless, and that's not just a snipe. A friend had one and he always wanted a C64 instead because he had no decent games.

Pete

If it had a 2MHz CPU

What's the use of having bigger palette of colours if you cannot us them in games. :roll: Scroll up, please, I've been showing many examples of that. There are 10 so far, but much more will be coming ;)

So you won't die of boredom then? Maybe there's still hope with your hysterical laughter.

If it had a 2MHz CPU

Yup, maybe something to do with it outselling the commie ;) I had both, sold the speccy. I would've liked an A8 at the time if only for the sake of it, but it seemed pointless, and that's not just a snipe. A friend had one and he always wanted a C64 instead because he had no decent games.

Pete

Spectum was cheaper already upon release, not because it outsold the C64 in the UK by 3 -1 (propably more).

See again, that is the UKs trouble, did your UK A8 owning friend never played any titles from SSI, Microprose, Origin, EA, Synapse, Infocom, even Atari or Activision? And many more US companies. 1000s of excellent games on A8 from the USA, but no one knew about them. Same with C64, I mean ZZAP! even reviewed US games in every issue (Yes, I do own the complete run), but did UK people buy those? No, just cheap games for 1.99, or 9.99. Also Epyx Games series, IM, maybe some Activision titles i f they went cheap, that was it really. Some people in the UK even purchased Maniac Mansion, IF they had a fdd, but less people bought Zak McKracken, most never even heard of PHM Pegasus or Strike Fleet (both Lucasfilm).

Edited by frenchman

You know, UKers didn't even own a C64 fdd, all games came on tape. Activision even had to release Little Computer People on tape, with over half of the options missing. How sad is that?

Games might have come out mostly on tape, but I think that was mostly the due to all the other platforms being on tape as well.. For the record, back in the day I didn't know anyone without a 1541.. And most of the American arse that arrived back then on disk was hardly worth subjecting your 64 to.. Apart from, Transformers with its full side of (barely understandable) digitised speech and slide show introduction.. I listened to that loads, mostly to try and figure out the hell it was saying ;) And other arse like Hot Wheels and stuff.. The only good thing to come out of the US market was Racing Destruction Set.. Now that was cool :) On the other hand, of all the Atari guys I knew back then, not a single one had a disk drive ;)

If it had a 2MHz CPU

Pete

Spectum was cheaper already upon release, not because it outsold the C64 in the UK by 3 -1 (propably more).

Eh? Yes, spectrum was cheaper, as I say, cheaper to buy meant it sold more than the c64.

Pete

That's all well and good, it's just a shame the 64 is the worlds best selling computer, ever :)

Another sign of cruelty :D Shame on you andym00 ;)

The Spectrum is the UKs best selling computer, A BIG SIGN OF CRUELTY, I KNOW :D Must have been so degrading to C64 users, losing against THAT?

Edited by frenchman