IGNORED

Rolling Screen

Cap5750

I received a copy of Solaris (red label) in a box of stuff I got recently. I've used several different systems (jrs, 4 switch, 6 switch, etc) and all of them have the game screen come up, but it is rolling in a fashion much like you'd see in the old days if your vertical hold was off.

My first thought was that maybe the contacts were a little dirty so I took a small piece of sandpaper (I read about this somewhere) and gently went over the metal leads. No help.

The only thing I can think of now is that maybe the cart is a PAL version? How would I know? Or that the cart is just bad.

Thoughts?

Cap

Yes, I think Stan is right.

Well, I think that is how the label on the North American version looks.

It was probably a lack of quality control on the assembly line. I might have an extra NTSC version of Solaris I could trade to you if you need it :)

I'll check out my extras sometime tonight.

Yes but red label Solaris with B&W picture do exists in NTSC form. I have 1, maybe 2 NTSC version along with 1 PAL Solaris. I did notice a difference: the NTSC version's end label is the same dull red as the main label but the PAL version the end label is a shade brighter and more red. I wonder if this is true for all other Solaris?

I wonder how many mislabeled Solaris got returned and/or destroyed? I'd bet there's a million mislabeled Solaris buried in the landfill right on top of those ET carts. :lol::lolblue::lol::lolblue:

I just took my complete and boxed copy my wife purchased on eBay for my birthday out of the box and stuck it in my 2600 Jr. Just like my loose copy of the game, it rolls and rolls and rolls. Red box, red label. I'm beginning to wonder if ANY of the NTSC labelled Solaris were made right.

• 2 years later...

Hi there!

*bumped*

I got a bunch of NTSC carts that work fine...except a copy of Buck Rogers, that is rolling.

This is interesting. My copy of Buck Rogers has the screen jumping at random intervals during the surface scenes, so maybe it's NTSC too. But normally I have no problems with NTSC ROMs at all... :?

Greetings,

Manuel