IGNORED

Gunslinger picture label

Red 5

Finally got a Gunslinger picture label mint condition cart with nice box and manual and goodies.

Or you can get it loose with a bad end label for only slightley over 4x the price?

(-edit- This was pulled off Ebay. Huzzah!)

Hurry though, tomorrow it goes back up to $200.00! :ponder: :-o

To be honest, I STILL think I overpaid for it and I used the 10% Ebay coupon!

Just checking to see if anyone really believes this game is worth anything close to $200.00?

Edited by therealred5

Hopefully the seller will package it properly. I bought one game from this dude, he used a bubble envelope around an opened Priority Mail box, and then tried to blame his wife for the crappy packaging when I received it and complained as the boxed cart had slid out of the package and got completely smooshed. He was a real dick about it, too. His auction pic was also taken in such a way to conceal damage (non-USPS inflicted). I have never bought from this gopnik ever since that event.

Hopefully the seller will package it properly. I bought one game from this dude, he used a bubble envelope around an opened Priority Mail box, and then tried to blame his wife for the crappy packaging when I received it and complained as the boxed cart had slid out of the package and got completely smooshed. He was a real dick about it, too. His auction pic was also taken in such a way to conceal damage (non-USPS inflicted). I have never bought from this gopnik ever since that event.

I already got it and was actually really impressed with the packing.

Came in a big box. The game was wrapped in bubble wrap and surrounded by peanuts.

Everything is in near mint condition. I even left feedback saying how impressed I was.

Maybe, thanks to you, he learned his lesson?

I'm still thinking of re-selling it for $350.00. I mean, if a loose copy with a bad label is worth $200.00, this mint

copy in box with manuals and catalog should get me at least $350.00, right? :P

I already got it and was actually really impressed with the packing.

Came in a big box. The game was wrapped in bubble wrap and surrounded by peanuts.

Everything is in near mint condition. I even left feedback saying how impressed I was.

Maybe, thanks to you, he learned his lesson?

I'm still thinking of re-selling it for $350.00. I mean, if a loose copy with a bad label is worth $200.00, this mint

copy in box with manuals and catalog should get me at least $350.00, right? :P

Not sure if it is worth $250

I think it is about $50-100

But some people tend to find it cheaper. This is one of those games that don't seem to fly under the radar that often though. If one pops up, generally 3-4 people are watching it with a bid ready at the end of the auction.

This one gets way too much hype, IMO. I don't know exactly what it's worth CIB, but I think red5 got a fair deal. Loose, however, this is only a $8-10 cart. There have been several copies available on ebay over the past few weeks. You could say it "flies under the radar", but I suspect it's also a case of most people not being interested in it.

Edited by Christophero Sly

This one gets way too much hype, IMO. I don't know exactly what it's worth CIB, but I think red5 got a fair deal. Loose, however, this is only a $8-10 cart. There have been several copies available on ebay over the past few weeks. You could say it "flies under the radar", but I suspect it's also a case of most people not being interested in it.

If you have one in good condition that you want to sell for $8-$10 shoot me a PM and I will buy it.

If you have one in good condition that you want to sell for $8-$10 shoot me a PM and I will buy it.

Ya cause you re-sell them for about $100 don't you or do you need this one for your "collection"? :ponder:

So you can put a crack-pipe BIN on it and let it molder in your store for years?

I'll tell you what, put the copy that you had sitting in your store for an eon (the one that you, apparently, just pulled) back in your store with an $8-10 BIN price that this one's rarity actually merits, and someone might actually buy it. :idea:

No offense... but there is NO WAY this cart is an $8-$10 cart.

I have found/owned more Waterworlds and Qbert Qubes than I have of Sears Pic Gunslinger.

Perhaps it is the area you are in. Not really sure. Granted, it is not a holy grail. But it is not on the same level as a GI Joe cart... or a Picnic cart. No way at all.

It is perhaps easier to find than the blue text version of Skiing, or a white labeled Heman... but it is not a $10 cart!!!

:)

No offense... but there is NO WAY this cart is an $8-$10 cart.

I have found/owned more Waterworlds and Qbert Qubes than I have of Sears Pic Gunslinger.

Perhaps it is the area you are in. Not really sure. Granted, it is not a holy grail. But it is not on the same level as a GI Joe cart... or a Picnic cart. No way at all.

It is perhaps easier to find than the blue text version of Skiing, or a white labeled Heman... but it is not a $10 cart!!!

:)

None taken. I respect your opinion, but IMO this one isn't more than an R6. It's almost always tucked away in large lots, and that contributes greatly to the perception that it is rarer than it really is. Nonetheless, it shows up fairly frequently on ebay.

Comparing the scarcity of Gunslinger to carts like Qbert Qubes, Waterworld, etc. is unsound because those are high profile carts that appear on the market much more frequently than their rarities would normally entail.

Gunslinger isn't even the hardest Sears Pic label to find. In my experience, carts like Night Driver, Asteroids, and Canyon Bomber, while not significantly rarer than Gunslinger, all show up on ebay less often.

I realize that current perceptions place the value of this cart higher than $10, and perception, in this hobby, is reality. I might be off by a few dollars in my assessment of this cart's market value. However, I don't believe that the premiums being asked for this cart are warranted.

So you can put a crack-pipe BIN on it and let it molder in your store for years?

I'll tell you what, put the copy that you had sitting in your store for an eon (the one that you, apparently, just pulled) back in your store with an $8-10 BIN price that this one's rarity actually merits, and someone might actually buy it. :idea:

My point was that it isn't an $8-$10 cart. Through the years I have acquired thousands and thousands of Atari 2600 carts. I have had more Quadruns, Qubes, Waterworld, Xante, Music Machine, Obelix, ect. than I have had copies of the picture label of Gunslinger. It is a very difficult cart to find. It is significantly rarer than the rarity 5 it is listed for in the AtariAge rarity guide.

My point was that it isn't an $8-$10 cart. Through the years I have acquired thousands and thousands of Atari 2600 carts. I have had more Quadruns, Qubes, Waterworld, Xante, Music Machine, Obelix, ect. than I have had copies of the picture label of Gunslinger. It is a very difficult cart to find. It is significantly rarer than the rarity 5 it is listed for in the AtariAge rarity guide.

I took your point, and my counterpoint was that it certainly hasn't sold for the premiums you've tried to establish. It would sell for $8-10, however, so that, IMO, is the value that its rarity merits. You can claim that this one is rare, but if it doesn't routinely sell for those prices, you can't support that argument.

Also, for the reasons I just stated, trying to establish the scarcity of Gunslinger by comparing it to high profile carts like Quadrun, Waterworld, etc. is entirely unsound.

Comparing the scarcity of Gunslinger to carts like Qbert Qubes, Waterworld, etc. is unsound because those are high profile carts that appear on the market much more frequently than their rarities would normally entail.

Gunslinger isn't even the hardest Sears Pic label to find. In my experience, carts like Night Driver, Asteroids, and Canyon Bomber, while not significantly rarer than Gunslinger, all show up on ebay less often.

I realize that current perceptions place the value of this cart higher than $10, and perception, in this hobby, is reality. I might be off by a few dollars in my assessment of this cart's market value. However, I don't believe that the premiums being asked for this cart are warranted.

Comparing to QQ and Waterworld, I think in the most part I meant this: Those two were easier to find in the wild than a Sears Pic Gunslinger. For me it was. But then again, some could argue that Atlantis 2 was easier for them to find compared to Waterworld because it was one of the first ones they found at a pawn shop or something, yet they still need waterworld for the collections. LOL

Gunslinger not being the hardest Sears Pic to find: I Agree! Canyon Comber and Asteroids are pretty hard to find. I think Asteroids may need to get its rarity jumped up sometime.

Very interesting topic! When I was actively searching this game out this time last year; I was lucky enough to find two in lots on Ebay the first was only $3.99 BIN, the carts were listed, but the picture was of the carts on their edge, not showing the front label, the end label looked liked it though and I was right :) The second one I found I got in another lot which had the infamous fuzzy picture, gotta love those crappy cameras. This one I have since traded and got a nice lot of PAL games for. I think the price on that one was $15.00 and change. If you have lots of time to scour Ebay and patience it can be found. I would agree though that it is a difficult find. As far as the hardest one, Superman, of course :?:

On another note, I need the Sears Adventure picture label to finish mine(besides Superman), anyone got one they want to trade or sell? Cheers all, FB

Superman aside, I've owned all Sears picture labels except for Asteroids & Gunslinger. Night Driver, Baseball, Basketball, Canyon Bomber, Race, etc. I feel Asteroids is hard to find just out of the sheer abundance of Asteroid carts in existence.

I've been on ebay for nearly 10 years, and I've been collecting Atari carts since before then, and Gunslinger is one of those carts that has eluded me all those years. Maybe it does show up in lots more times than individually but still it's not on ebay very much at all. I've stayed away from the individual listings as I prefer to pick it up in a lot for less, but I've just not had any luck at all locating this one. I've found many rarities mixed in lots Puzzy carts & Ultravision to name a few, ;) but that Sears Gunslinger is a tough one to find.

I think it is a $20.00 cart loose.

$30 with box and manual.

I overpaid, but I am a few Sears carts away from being done and

you know how that goes. So a $10.00 over-pay was not horrible.

It is certainly not a $150.00 loose cart even with a bad label.

Nor is it even close to a $200.00 cart.

I have missed it on Ebay a few times in the last year.

I have never seen it go over $30.00 loose.

Actively searching for it for about 12 months, I probably saw it in lots

at least seven or eight times.

Yippee!! I bought a nice clean lot on ePay (total $84.42) that had a minty Sears picture label Gunslinger

(and a few other minty Sears carts, don't recall them all):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N:IT&ih=012

But since it's a loose cart most people on AA wouldn't want it (IT REALLY IS FOR MY COLLECTION :D)...

When I was actively searching this game out this time last year; I was lucky enough to find two in lots on Ebay the first was only $3.99 BIN, the carts were listed, but the picture was of the carts on their edge, not showing the front label, the end label looked liked it though and I was right :) The second one I found I got in another lot which had the infamous fuzzy picture, gotta love those crappy cameras.
Yippee!! I bought a nice clean lot on ePay (total $84.42) that had a minty Sears picture label Gunslinger

(and a few other minty Sears carts, don't recall them all):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N:IT&ih=012

These examples all but establish the point I'm trying to make. :)

I feel Asteroids is hard to find just out of the sheer abundance of Asteroid carts in existence.
Excellent point. I'm also of that feeling. I think it even applies to Night Driver, Canyon Bomber, Basketball, etc.

In the past month there have been at least 5 Gunslingers on ebay, but as the lot anicetyguy's won demonstrates, many more are passing by largely unnoticed.

Here's a lot with Gunslinger that just ended, unsold

Christophero -

It really seems to bother you that this cart is over-valued. So why don't you do something about it?

What can you do, you ask? Start posting links to each and every picture-label Gunslinger that you come across. Because it seems really contradictory to me that you advocate lowering the value/rarity of games on one hand but then argue that auction links should generally not be shared on the other. After all, the more of them that end up in the hands of collectors, the lower the demand will be and hence, the lower the price, right? Once it becomes readily apparent that these carts are not as rare as many of us perceive them to be, we'll all stop shelling out such high prices, right? Nobody pays $200 for Motorodeo because we've all seen them sell for $35, but most of us have nothing but your word that these Gunslingers are routinely going for $8-$10 (at least in lots.)

Truth is, I don't really doubt your analysis (your auction spotting skills are clearly superior to mine, not to mention more thorough) but I've been trying to score this cart for 9 months or so now and although I've won dozens of large lots in that time, I've yet to come across one. Thus, your insistence that this cart is actually relatively simple to acquire almost comes off like prideful taunting; not only do you already own one, but you got it cheap, you see them all the time, and everyone else is a fool for being unobservant and consequently overpaying. I'm actually pretty certain your intent isn't to belittle other collectors, but after reading your recent posts, I must admit I feel pretty stupid for continually missing out on the opportunity to add this cart to my collection given how much time I've wasted trying to locate one.

Ignorance is the overpriced resellers friend.

Help us dispel our ignorance and you'll get the satisfaction of watching the resale price plummet.

Christophero -

It really seems to bother you that this cart is over-valued. So why don't you do something about it?

What can you do, you ask? Start posting links to each and every picture-label Gunslinger that you come across. Because it seems really contradictory to me that you advocate lowering the value/rarity of games on one hand but then argue that auction links should generally not be shared on the other.

I don't take it personally that this cart is overvalued. I'm just an Atari collector who appreciates the truth and who disdains ignorance and hype.

When you say that my position is contradictory, I assume that you're referring to my initial objection to Pinball22's auction blog. However, if you revisit that thread, you'll see that I withdrew my objection shortly after making it because I realized that it was over-simplified, and when I saw that the thread was heading towards derailment over another argument about resellers, and after being accused of wanting to "hoard" things for myself (which couldn't be further from the truth), I came to the conclusion that my objection was also counter-productive. If you check the comments of this blog entry you'll see that I have already done as you suggest.

After all, the more of them that end up in the hands of collectors, the lower the demand will be and hence, the lower the price, right? Once it becomes readily apparent that these carts are not as rare as many of us perceive them to be, we'll all stop shelling out such high prices, right?
Ignorance is the overpriced resellers friend.

Help us dispel our ignorance and you'll get the satisfaction of watching the resale price plummet.

In a perfect world, this might come to fruition. But this is the real world, and, as we've seen time and again, when these sorts of items get highlighted, it's usually the resellers that snatch them up. Truth is, most collectors don't even care about these variants, and those that do already have them and found them for themselves. That's the real ignorance, and that's why highlighting these auctions will rarely help a collector and will never, on their own, change the status quo.

but most of us have nothing but your word that these Gunslingers are routinely going for $8-$10 (at least in lots.)
Four examples that support my position have have been posted by other individuals in this thread. :?:

Thus, your insistence that this cart is actually relatively simple to acquire almost comes off like prideful taunting; not only do you already own one, but you got it cheap, you see them all the time, and everyone else is a fool for being unobservant and consequently overpaying. I'm actually pretty certain your intent isn't to belittle other collectors, but after reading your recent posts, I must admit I feel pretty stupid for continually missing out on the opportunity to add this cart to my collection given how much time I've wasted trying to locate one.
Please don't make this about me. Of course my position isn't to belittle my fellow collectors. Nor do I see how anyone could fairly construe my position as prideful. I'm willing to give individuals like McGrail as good as I get, but I don't see that either of our statements rise to the level of taunting. Look, I just call it like I see it, as straightforwardly as possible. To do anything else is a waste of time. I'm sorry if my manner offends you, but there is nothing to be read between the lines.

Let me present some basic math that underlies my position on this subject. I would estimate that I am able to view about 80% of the Atari 2600 auctions that appear on ebay. However, in only about 20-25% of those auctions is the photo and description of sufficient quality for me to be able to distinguish label variants like the Sears picture labels or the Atari, Corp variants. Now, in the past month, I'm aware of 5 Gunslingers that have appeared in that ~25% of ebay auctions. As the auction posted by anicetyguy demonstrates, the potential for 12-15 more copies resides in the remaining 75% if we extrapolate.

That's potentially 20 Gunslingers on ebay in a month. If even half that number were to appear every month as single cart auctions with low starting bids and reasonable shipping, instead of being tucked away in large lots, there would be no question that this cart isn't rare. It's fair market value would quickly be established at ~$10, and probably fall to far less once the collector market became saturated.

I'm just an Atari collector who appreciates the truth and who disdains ignorance and hype.

Ditto for me.

And as I've said before, I find the endless debates on these forums about "value" to be both tiresome and generally meritless since the only value they have is assigned to them only when someone makes an offer. Until then, the inherent value of an Atari cart is pretty much nothing, since the vast majority of the world's population considers them trash, not collectibles.

Truth is, most collectors don't even care about these variants, and those that do already have them.

This is the kind of statement I was talking about.

Believe me when I say that I take you at your word about your intentions, but I'm a collector and I care and I don't already have one. So when you tell me that they're easily acquired and suggest that any collector worth his salt already has one, it makes me feel a little foolish for failing to acquire one in over 9 months of trying. It may be an unintended consequence of your analysis, but I can't help but feel a little slighted. You're hardly the only one I think does this, so please don't take it personally -- it's just a general observation which I chose to make at this time.

That's potentially 20 Gunslingers on ebay in a month. If even half that number were to appear every month as single cart auctions with low starting bids and reasonable shipping, instead of being tucked away in large lots, there would be no question that this cart isn't rare. It's fair market value would quickly be established at ~$10, and probably fall to far less once the collector market became saturated.

I think it's worth distinguishing between lots and individual auctions, as they attract different kinds of buyers and are differently affected by a buyer's purchasing power. In your last posted example, the BIN was $130, which is a pretty hefty investment for only 54 games if there's only a single cart I need for my collection. So perhaps part of the problem is that this cart almost never shows up on its own with a low enough starting bid for us to determine what it's really worth to collectors. Because I'd gladly pay twice what you think it's worth for a copy in decent shape. So anybody reading this who wants to part with one for $16-$20 should shoot me a PM.