IGNORED

After Compilation, I get "Exit Code 255"

Skeetz

Hey, I just got Batari Basic, and set it up as the tutorial described. When I try to compile the sample.bas file, Crimson Editor returns this:

---------- Capture Output ----------

> "C:\Atari Programming\batari_Basic_version_1.0\2600bas.bat" C:\Atari Programming\batari_Basic_version_1.0\samples\sample.bas

Programming\batari_Basic_version_1.0 was unexpected at this time.

> Terminated with exit code 255.

Can anyone explain how to get rid of this issue? Thanks in advance.

Hey, I just got Batari Basic, and set it up as the tutorial described. When I try to compile the sample.bas file, Crimson Editor returns this:

---------- Capture Output ----------

> "C:\Atari Programming\batari_Basic_version_1.0\2600bas.bat" C:\Atari Programming\batari_Basic_version_1.0\samples\sample.bas

Programming\batari_Basic_version_1.0 was unexpected at this time.

> Terminated with exit code 255.

Can anyone explain how to get rid of this issue? Thanks in advance.

It looks like the spaces in the folder "Atari Programming" are causing the issue. You can try using folders without spaces.

Or, it should be possible to use folders with spaces if you modify the batch files. There may have been a fix for this posted in the past, but I don't recall.

Added the updated files, it still returns the same error. Also removed the space in everyth8ing, still the same result.

You can fix this by putting quotes in the user tool you've set up in Crimson Editor. Refer to the following threads for more information.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1508055

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1361130

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1345196

Michael

Now it compiles, but when I browse to the directory where it should have been outputed, there is no bas.bin file. I remember 2600 IDE gave me similar problems when I tried to run the compiled file through STella - it said it couldnt find the bin.

Edited by Skeetz

Now it compiles, but when I browse to the directory where it should have been outputed, there is no bas.bin file.

Which directory are you expecting it to be in? Have you searched for it in any of the other directories?

The batari Basic compile batch (2600bas.bat) should put the .bas.bin object file in the same directory that the .bas source file is in. However, it is certainly possible to edit the compile batch file, so I can't say with 100% certainty that the .bas.bin file will end up in the same directory as the .bas file.

The Visual batari Basic programming editor (or IDE) gives you the option of creating a bin subfolder inside of your project's folder, and it will put the .bas.bin file in that subfolder if you're using that option, otherwise it will put the .bas.bin file in the same folder as the .bas file (i.e., in that project's folder).

I remember 2600 IDE gave me similar problems when I tried to run the compiled file through STella - it said it couldnt find the bin.

The 2600IDE editor uses a different compile batch file (2600baside.bat), but it also puts the .bas.bin file in the same folder as the .bas file.

Even if the .bas.bin file is created successfully, the emulator may need to be told where it is. If I remember correctly, the 2600IDE and Visual batari Basic IDEs should automatically tell the emulator to look in the correct folder for the .bas.bin file.

But if you're using the Crimson Editor IDE, you must set up a user tool for running the compiled program in the emulator, and you must specify the directory and file name in the Argument field. The easiest way to do that is to put $(FilePath).bin in the Argument field. If you've got any spaces in your file path, you must put the Argument in quotes-- "$(FilePath).bin".

Michael

With Visual BB , it wouldn't find the bin as well. Whenever I tried to run it through an emulator, it just said that Stella couldn;t find the .bin.

If I remember correctly, this bB user was having a similar problem:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...133930&st=0

The fix for his problem was the updated 2600bas.bat file:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133529

If you already downloaded it and plopped it into the appropriate folder, it seems there is a new problem to be solved.