IGNORED

5200 Video Cable Problems

whiskyriver

I pulled out my 4 port 5200 today to show one of my nephews what real gaming is all about and to my horror, the video cable that connects to the switch box is coming apart at the connecting port. This is causing the power to the system to come and go at random and the only way to get it to stay on is to push on the cable entering the switchbox...and even this causes the red light on the system to stay on...regardless of whether or not the power/on/off button is pushed. At first I thought it was the switchbox itself but once I noticed that the video cable was coming apart, I immediately changed my mind. Is my system trashed? Should I just go ahead and chunk her in the garbage or is there a way to fix the cable? Any help would be appreciated as I really don't have the funds to be buying another system right now :(

I pulled out my 4 port 5200 today to show one of my nephews what real gaming is all about and to my horror, the video cable that connects to the switch box is coming apart at the connecting port. This is causing the power to the system to come and go at random and the only way to get it to stay on is to push on the cable entering the switchbox...and even this causes the red light on the system to stay on...regardless of whether or not the power/on/off button is pushed. At first I thought it was the switchbox itself but once I noticed that the video cable was coming apart, I immediately changed my mind. Is my system trashed? Should I just go ahead and chunk her in the garbage or is there a way to fix the cable? Any help would be appreciated as I really don't have the funds to be buying another system right now :(

It sounds like you need a new cable. The hard part witha 4-port cable is that it's soldered to the motherboard. Your going to have to find a new cable and have someone solder it in for you. Can you solder?

Allan

There are a few local TV repair shops around town...and they may be able to repair it...but I need to know where to get a new cable that can be soldered to the motherboard. Any chance that cutting the cable off at the end and reattaching the connector would fix the problem? I know I'm stretching the limits of what can feasibly be done but if anyone has any suggestions, I sure would appreciate it.

There are a few local TV repair shops around town...and they may be able to repair it...but I need to know where to get a new cable that can be soldered to the motherboard. Any chance that cutting the cable off at the end and reattaching the connector would fix the problem? I know I'm stretching the limits of what can feasibly be done but if anyone has any suggestions, I sure would appreciate it.

It shouldn't be a horrendous ordeal to replace the RCA connector, but dealing with a co-axial cable can be a bit of a nuisance at times. If you can find a replacement end, give it a try.

If you fail, PM me. I'll desolder a good cable from one of the boards I have here and send it to you for the cost of shipping (providing you're in the U.S. or someplace that isn't terribly inconvenient for me/terribly expensive for you to ship to).