IGNORED

proline controllers

jimhmphry

i only have 2 but dont remember them having such slow response (and hard to push). im now looking to buy two new controllers what kind should i get ? there are a few that look like prolines but with a turbo switch are these any better or should i breakdown and order the nes style from best. ive also found some new prolines will they be any better or more of the same. im finally getting my girl friend back in to gaming and having good working easy to use controllers is a must. thank you

Get the CX78s (the NES-style pads). Once you do that, there's no going back to the Pro-Line.

I got one. I've gone back. The NES pad is good for some NES style games (Ikari Warriors, Missing in Action, Midnight Mutants), but not even all of those types of games are really good for the controller (Possible Mission, Tower Toppler, Scrapyard Dog). If a game requires very precise movement, the joypads are a bad choice (they register right as up and right way too frequently).

For some shooters the joypads are a good choice (I liked it for Xevious and Galaga before I got my Goatstore stick). However, again, some arcade games like PacMan Collection are unplayable with the joypads.

Your best bet is to accumulate a set of choices, like me. That way, you have a good option for every situation. So far, I have:

2600 controller

Pro-line controllers

Atari Joypad

Doubledown's modded NES pad

Goatstore arcade stick

XE Light Gun

Best Electronics Light Gun

2600 trackball

I've got a couple other's I'm trying to track down as the money comes along. The problem is, none of the options are perfect for every situation. If you only want the bare minimum, I recommend:

Doubledown modded NES pad (if you can get him to make one; perfect for girlfriends who may have experience with the NES)

Prolines (you already have these)

2600 controller (if you don't have this already, it's cheap)

Best Electronics Light Gun (order one from Best Electronics if you';re going to ever play light gun games)

For games that only require 1-button I would also add Sega Genesis gamepads to the list. I find them more comfortable and responsive than the 7800 joypads. I use the 7800 pads for games that require 2-buttons, although I find the D-pad to be a bit more stiff and not as accurate as the Genesis D-pad.

I think most Pro Lines out there could use rebuilding. It's possible to shore up or even replace the centering "mechanism", and this cuts out a lot of the Pro Line's trouble. It won't change the grip, but it will make the stick a little easier to use.

Edited by shadow460

did that the first day turned the foam a little ive gone as far as pulling lamination(looks like tape to me)off and cleaning under the botton contacts i just re taped them on and got alot more responce. i even added a little tape to the ones that didnt seem to have the best feel and that fixed 80% of the problem.