IGNORED

Why the confusion in manuals?

Atarifever

I've noticed that some of the 7800 manuals have instructions that assume you are using a 2600 controller (telling you to hold it with the button toward the top left corner). I always thought that was weird. But today I noticed that the Donkey Kong 7800 manual credits Coleco with audiovisual (which was theirs I guess) and program (which would have been theirs for the 2600, but not the 7800). It also lists the name of the group that programmed the 7800 version. I don't have (and can't find on here) the instruction manual for the 2600, so I don't know if the copyright information on those instructions lists the 7800 developer as well (making the copyright information the same on both manuals).

In any case, I don't understand this confusion. In the manual the instructions for game start up have clearly had "7800" put in where "2600" would have been. Thus, both manuals are not identical. As well, in the 7800 version there is a description of the elevator stage that wouldn't be in the 2600 version. Thus, it isn't like these manuals were printed out the exact same for both games, with all manuals for both games coming from one batch. Thus, if they ran off different lots of manuals (which they clearly had to, or the covers, game start up instructions, and stage explanation parts would be incorrect), why leave in the wrong controller description and partially incorrect copyright information?