IGNORED

Red Ring of Death has caught me

cimerians

If the X-Clamps worked, The Micro wouldn't melt off the boad. It would melt the solder at the joints, But it would be held down to the board (Meaning contaact to the pins)

If they put more fans around the Micro, Like one on the fan and 4 REALLY small ans to blow on the pins to cool them down, They wouldn't melt and X-Clamps would not be needed.

If they went with a ZIF socket, It has a chance of melting the plastic, But it can't not make contact if the socket stays clamped shut.

There's Multiple Solutions.

203 watt - Zephyr (first model made since launch)

175 watt - Falcon (2nd models completely replacing the first in stores January 2008)

150 watt - Jasper (3rd model still quite new that may or maynot be available depending on where you buy it)

*product sticker on the boxes are known to give false info on the power supply so only a visual inspection can be trusted.

Sorry I meant the 203 watt is the first model made since launch and the Zephyr mobo revision. :P

I'm now pretty positive mine's a Jasper. It's cool, quiet and has a power plug much like Ben Heck described, even if it still uses the 175 Watt power.

Easy way to check is check the power rating on the back of the unit.

If it says 12.1 Amp instead of 14.2 Amp, its a Jasper.

post-544-1229919346_thumb.jpg

hi new to the xbox family. I just recently bought a xbox 360 arcade. dec. 20. 2008. fired her up dec. 21. 2008.

So we'll see how long she'll live before the Red Ring of DEATH occures.

Keep you all posted!

corby

Well...after the close call the other night, I fired up my 360 on Friday evening and it RROD'd again...this time for good. Immediately bought a replacement via Best Buy's "in-store pickup." With the arcade unit being 200 bucks, I figured I could afford a second one in case MS won't fix my old one...it's a 2006 model. Tried to start a repair order online last night...and ended up having to call MS because my console was "already registered." They told me to call back later because they couldn't access my account due to them being in the middle of an upgrade to the system. guess I'll try it again today.

Well...after the close call the other night, I fired up my 360 on Friday evening and it RROD'd again...this time for good. Immediately bought a replacement via Best Buy's "in-store pickup." With the arcade unit being 200 bucks, I figured I could afford a second one in case MS won't fix my old one...it's a 2006 model. Tried to start a repair order online last night...and ended up having to call MS because my console was "already registered." They told me to call back later because they couldn't access my account due to them being in the middle of an upgrade to the system. guess I'll try it again today.

I know the feeling.

:(

Checked my status today and its in "repair" status. Hopefully I'll get mine back by next week.

I'll be moving my unit out to an open space to eliminate any possible heat issues for the future.

I know the feeling.

:(

Checked my status today and its in "repair" status. Hopefully I'll get mine back by next week.

I'll be moving my unit out to an open space to eliminate any possible heat issues for the future.

Yeah, I didn't want to chance not having it over the holidays, so I just bought another one.

I'm now pretty positive mine's a Jasper. It's cool, quiet and has a power plug much like Ben Heck described, even if it still uses the 175 Watt power.

Easy way to check is check the power rating on the back of the unit.

If it says 12.1 Amp instead of 14.2 Amp, its a Jasper.

It says 14.2, but can't it be a Jasper? Even if its a Falcon, the thing does not seem to get any problems. But I may be wrong and RROD may be on the reaper's list for my console, for which I will curse M$ forever but whatever.

It says 14.2, but can't it be a Jasper? Even if its a Falcon, the thing does not seem to get any problems. But I may be wrong and RROD may be on the reaper's list for my console, for which I will curse M$ forever but whatever.

Nah. You can power a Jasper with an old power supply for sure, but if it were a Jasper it would say 12.1 Amps.

Based on Bens finding though, there's really not a whole lot of difference between the two so don't sweat it. :)

Nah. You can power a Jasper with an old power supply for sure, but if it were a Jasper it would say 12.1 Amps.

Based on Bens finding though, there's really not a whole lot of difference between the two so don't sweat it. :)

Well Ben said he found a 14.2 amp from a Jasper line so it's possible. Anyway I shouldn't have problems with it. I don't play like 20+ hours or anything.

The length of time you game per session has no bearing on reliability. It's not like the temperature just keeps increasing until it cooks off the longer you play. It probably reaches it maximum temperature in 15-20 minutes before it stabilizes anyway. Since it's so random, the same failure may take only a day for one system, and a couple years for another depending on the severity of the defect, not how much it's being used.

If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. Limiting yourself based on fears of hardware failure will only deny you the pleasure of gaming and make sure it runs past the warranty period before it does. My first X360 lasted a year and 8 months and it was used heavily, sometimes for marathon sessions of 12-14 hours. My Second machine with the newer chip lasted less than 10 months and I tried to be more careful and do all of the things your probably thinking of doing right now. It didn't make a bit of difference because you can't predict failure like this. I've heard of RRoD's from people who said they didn't touch the system for weeks at a time only to turn it on one day and there it was. Saving it for a rainy day won't extend it so enjoy it while you can.

You just have to ask yourself if the hundreds you spend on the games per year is worth the $199 for an Arcade model, $100 for a non-warranty repair or a few weeks of living without it for a free repair every year or so. Now you know how PC gamers feel about upgrades. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Update in case anyone wants to know what Microsoft did for me:

Got my machine back this weekend. Its a different machine definitely.

Plugged in my hard drive, signed into Xbox Live and everything back to normal.

They gave me a free one month Gold membership for my "inconvenience".

You're going to want to disconnect from Live and make sure your Arcade games are still playable. If they revert to the trial version when off-line. try to delete a few and re-download them. If those still are the trial version you need to transfer the licenses to the new machine (MS should have does this for you) off the Xbox.com support website.

You're going to want to disconnect from Live and make sure your Arcade games are still playable. If they revert to the trial version when off-line. try to delete a few and re-download them. If those still are the trial version you need to transfer the licenses to the new machine (MS should have does this for you) off the Xbox.com support website.

Cool thanks, I'll try that.

I didnt think about disconnecting and trying them.

Actually, it came with a piece of paper which seemed a bit out of date that said I needed to re-download the license files.

When I tried the games they worked fine but I will try them when disconnected.

Just for future reference:

Fixing the RROD takes about an hour if you've not done it before, you just need a kit consisting of washers and screws. Fixed the 360's I've bought cheap (knackered) on eBay so far, playing Dead Rising and other demanding games. Even left them on all day and they're fine. Only time it won't work is if you've knackered the chip doing other 'repair attempts' first like I did on my first RROD. :)

You can get the kits in on-line shops (can't remember where I got mine) or from eBay.