IGNORED

Rescue on Fractilus - run on a C100339? How?

PacManPlus

Hi All:

I read somewhere (can't seem to find it now) that someone got RoF running on a 100339 (Hat Trick) Cart.

I can't seem to get this to work for the life of me. I have the RAM in U4, the EPROM in U1, and the A8 line of the RAM chip disconnected.

I tried reading the schematic to see which jumpers to set (W1-W8) but no matter which combination I *think* should work I either get to startup at all, or the standard garbage window from the cockpit.

Has anyone been able to get this to work ever? Even on another (595) board maybe?

Thanks for the help,

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

According to other posts I've read that the C100339 has problems with the RAM.

However, Atari put some copies of Winter Games on that cart, and apparently reworked the board to make it work properly. I'm not sure if there were other changes, but I noticed this on my copy:

post-5182-1229427973_thumb.jpg

I took that picture with a very bad camera.

Notice that pins 10-11 of the 74LS10 are connected. The schematic shows pin 11 was originally connected to other parts of the circuit, but on this version it's lifted off the board and shorted to pin 10. According to my notes they connect to +5v.

I determined that this reworked board works fine with RAM games, but I have no idea if that's the problem affecting Fractulus.

Notice that pins 10-11 of the 74LS10 are connected. The schematic shows pin 11 was originally connected to other parts of the circuit, but on this version it's lifted off the board and shorted to pin 10. According to my notes they connect to +5v.

I determined that this reworked board works fine with RAM games, but I have no idea if that's the problem affecting Fractulus.

This change makes it work with some RAM games but not all.

Mitch

hmmm...

Ok, I only moved it to the 339 board because I still couldn't get it to work with a 595.

I'm guessing at this point that RoF will not work (with RAM, and the cockpit showing correctly) on any pre-existing board because of the odd setup. :(

Thanks guys,

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

This change makes it work with some RAM games but not all.

Mitch

Yep, doesn't work on Sirius and Plutos.

hmmm...

Ok, I only moved it to the 339 board because I still couldn't get it to work with a 595.

I'm guessing at this point that RoF will not work (with RAM, and the cockpit showing correctly) on any pre-existing board because of the odd setup. :(

Thanks guys,

Bob

Stupid question, but could it be that it requires more than 8K of RAM, like Sirius and Plutos? I've never looked at ROF.

hmmm...

Thanks guys,

Bob

Stupid question, but could it be that it requires more than 8K of RAM, like Sirius and Plutos? I've never looked at ROF.

needs 16k (or maybe 24k??) IIRC. But it doesn't help that much as there is still a single line of garbage in middle of the cockpit. I've made most of my ROF with no ram at all cause the proto is so early it's prone to crashing no matter how you set it up.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

hmmm...

Thanks guys,

Bob

The original ROF proto has a 2K RAM chip.

Mitch

But it's wired IIRC to appear in 4K of address space; each 512 bytes of address space has two mirrors of one 256-byte page.

I imagined they did that to get an 8-bit Graphics 7 like (160x96 ish) mode with double high pixels to be faster to update the screen? Do they just connect A9 to A8 on the RAM chip, etc?

Edited by kenfused