IGNORED

Flashback 2 questions. Where did these games come from?

Obviously most of the games were released by Atari years ago, or were unreleased prototypes. But what about the following games:

ADVENTURE II

ARCADE ASTEROIDS

ARCADE PONG

ASTEROIDS DELUXE

ATARI CLIMBER

CAVERNS OF MARS

LUNAR LANDER

RETURN TO HAUNTED HOUSE

SPACE DUEL

YAR’S RETURN

Where did these games originate from? Were they homebrews? Were they homebrews that were created specifically for this system? Were they games from other systems such as the 7800 or perhaps the 800 computer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Obviously most of the games were released by Atari years ago, or were unreleased prototypes. But what about the following games:

Atari Climber was a homebrew.

Arcade Pong, Caverns of Mars, and Lunar Lander are original creations that were produced for the FB2; Arcade Pong and Lunar Lander are based upon the corresponding arcade games; Caverns of Mars is based upon an A8 game.

I believe Space Duel and Yar's Return are hacks; the other games not mentioned definitely are.

Atari Climber was a homebrew.

Arcade Pong, Caverns of Mars, and Lunar Lander are original creations that were produced for the FB2; Arcade Pong and Lunar Lander are based upon the corresponding arcade games; Caverns of Mars is based upon an A8 game.

I believe Space Duel and Yar's Return are hacks; the other games not mentioned definitely are.

Was Caverns of Mars ever released on cart? I downloaded it once on the internet and I think the place I downloaded it from was AA.

Edit:

never mind, I was thinking of conquest of mars

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

• 4 months later...

Wow, old thread...

What was Yar's Return a hack of?

It is a hack of Yars' Revenge.

Really? That is a pretty impressive hack! It seems like the kernel would have to be completely rewritten, plus Yar's Return uses the Super chip.

Another question :D The ROM I have jumps 10 scanlines every other frame, is there a fixed version? I think I dumped it from a rev. B FB2.

FB2's Yars' Return alternates between 254 and 264 scanlines (steady 262 when the score is displayed). IMO releasing it that way was a little premature. A fix should be pretty easy to pull off...tho I dunno if it would still be unacceptable to post such a fixed game.

Al? Curt?

Edited by Nukey Shay

FB2's Yars' Return alternates between 254 and 264 scanlines (steady 262 when the score is displayed). IMO releasing it that way was a little premature. A fix should be pretty easy to pull off...tho I dunno if it would still be unacceptable to post such a fixed game.

Al? Curt?

Perhaps offsets of changed bytes can be posted?

Good suggestion.

The main problem is an easy fix, since the hardware timer isn't being used for the display...and there is plenty of free space in the 2nd bank to implement it before returning to the 1st bank (so that each of the 3 frames use the same number of cycles via INTIM loop). There is another problem, tho...the program has a timing problem when positioning sprites and dealing with the swirl.

I'll post a list of byte changes once both problems are corrected...if it's alright to do so.