IGNORED

Buyer files Paypal claim on with without prior contact

the.golden.ax

A working Xbox 360's recently. This working one was my personal unit (I upgraded to a Halo 3 unit that didn't have any cords, put my drive on it and away we go). To make a long story short, this unit came from microsoft last fall in the RRoD exchange (from my original purchase Nov 22nd 2005). It worked. Without any prior contact, the buyer filed a claim, and says he wants a another one sent, not his money back. Paypal is holding my funds. This is the first claim against me on Paypal in my 2000+ eBay sale transactions history.

I responded to the claim, saying that he should have contacted me directly. I found it odd that in order to file the claim he had to check the box saying he already contacted me (he did not contact me) and that paypal claims are supposed to be a last resort.

He has a feedback of 10.

I then wrote him directly and suggested a rumor Ive heard about pushing the reset button/power for 10 seconds if the drive isn't married to the system. (if anyone has more info on this let me know) He is saying it's unable to read disc error.

AX

A working Xbox 360's recently. This working one was my personal unit (I upgraded to a Halo 3 unit that didn't have any cords, put my drive on it and away we go). To make a long story short, this unit came from microsoft last fall in the RRoD exchange (from my original purchase Nov 22nd 2005). It worked. Without any prior contact, the buyer filed a claim, and says he wants a another one sent, not his money back. Paypal is holding my funds. This is the first claim against me on Paypal in my 2000+ eBay sale transactions history.

I responded to the claim, saying that he should have contacted me directly. I found it odd that in order to file the claim he had to check the box saying he already contacted me (he did not contact me) and that paypal claims are supposed to be a last resort.

He has a feedback of 10.

I then wrote him directly and suggested a rumor Ive heard about pushing the reset button/power for 10 seconds if the drive isn't married to the system. (if anyone has more info on this let me know) He is saying it's unable to read disc error.

AX

...What did you state as a refund policy in your auction description?

...Was insurance an option?

...Did you insure the item when you sent it?

...Do you have another unit you can send to him?

...What did you state as a refund policy in your auction description?

Generally these issues don't come up for me, instead of posting a policy that may deter a customer, I prefer to handle issues on a case by case basis.

...Was insurance an option? ...Did you insure the item when you sent it?

Yes, $50 postal insurace was offered and paid by customer (unit sold for $47.50). It would not cover the $12.95 shipping.

...Do you have another unit you can send to him?

Yes, but not without the other one back in the condition it was sent (security stickers intact/serial number match) and or a postal claim for damages.

AX

Without any prior contact, the buyer filed a claim, and says he wants a another one sent, not his money back. Paypal is holding my funds. This is the first claim against me on Paypal in my 2000+ eBay sale transactions history.
To be clear, opening a dispute isn't the same as filling a claim. It's my understanding that he has to subsequently escalate the dispute to a claim to get his money back if the two of you can't reach an alternate resolution.

I wasn't aware that there was a check box stipulating that a buyer has to contact the seller privately before opening a dispute through Paypal. Is this a recent change? Regardless, I've always felt that opening a dispute through Paypal (again, different from immediately filling a claim) was a perfectly legitimate and reasonable way to open a dialogue with a seller and protect one's interests. If he hasn't prematurely escalated the claim, then I don't see what real difference it makes to contact you through Paypal.

Best of luck. I hope this works out for you.

I wasn't aware that there was a check box stipulating that a buyer has to contact the seller privately before opening a dispute through Paypal.

I don't think there is. You can open a dispute then make it a escalate to a claim whenever you want. Not a very good system but they might have changed things since I have had to file a claim the last time which was about 6 months ago. :(

That is just obnoxious and puts a bad mark on everybody involved and the whole hobby.

He has a feedback of 10.

AX

That is just obnoxious and puts a bad mark on everybody involved and the whole hobby.

He has a feedback of 10.

AX

This is where Us sellers get screwed. He could send you back a exact weight box full of rocks and he wins. Nothing we can do. It sucks but this is the way it works. HHW

They cancled the claim on Paypal, and are working directly with me. I have asked them to send it back with all seals and serial intact as sent. I will replace or refund upon return, and deal with the $50 stamps.com insurance on my own time.

AX

Glad to see something is starting to work out for you. :)

They cancled the claim on Paypal, and are working directly with me. I have asked them to send it back with all seals and serial intact as sent. I will replace or refund upon return, and deal with the $50 stamps.com insurance on my own time.

AX

I hope it works out for you bud. Let us know. HHW