IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 37 *Moon Patrol*

darthkur

1181242138155.jpg

s_MoonPatrol_3.png

The life of a Luna City Police Officer is never an easy one, especially if you're assigned to the dreaded Sector 9. It seems that is were the galaxy's host of scum and villainy have decided to make their home. As the LCPD's top cop you have been issued the finest patrol car on the force and you're going to need it. As if the terribly rough terrain wasn't enough of a hazard to overcome the vile denizens of Sector 9 really have it in for you. They will come blasting at you from every direction and have even placed land mines in your path to do you in. But you're not going to let all of that intimidate you so go out there and show those lowlife's who's boss.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings:Beginner (default)

Contest ends on: 1-19-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: bohoki - 83,000

2nd: darthkur - 58,750

3rd: Cafeman - 44,050

4th: doctorclu - 27,650

5th: LaserHawk - 21,900

6th: chuckwalla - 17,800

7th: MIKE5200 - 7,000

Current Standings:

1st - darthkur (119) (4)

2nd - Doctorclu (112) (4)

3rd - Mike5200 (51)

4th - Bydoempire (46)

5th - Cafeman (39) (2)

5th - Shannon (39)

6th - Atari5200 (38) (1)

7th - bohoki (27)

8th - phuzaxeman (22) (2)

9th - Laserhawk (21) (1)

10th - chuckwalla (15)

11th - midnight8 (13)

12th - Hex6500 (10)

12th - Lord Thag (10)

12th - midnight magicman (10)

12th - shadow460 (10)

13th - Phantom (9)

14th - JetSet ( 8 )

15th - RXD (7)

16TH - Goochman (4)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Moon Patrol Manual

Edited by darthkur

arg

moon3f.png

constantly killed by rocks argh i swear their positions are not natural

mines are easy

the little tanks are no problem since you can shoot their shot

the freaky ground grabber things are kind of annoying as they can intercept a shot you need to shoot an annoying rock

the 3 dot crater bomber is very nice since it is not cheap and wont blast craters in the ground that is near boulders and other craters

that little rocket thing you have to jump is easy the trick is to jump it and fire to blast it

took a while to get this far and i am all sweaty and shaky its the third go around letter f

i probably dont have a chance but i'll set a benchmark

holy crap that is a bench mark i can not meet again

i got really lucky i guess them rocks are rough and turbo fire doesn't help

Edited by bohoki

I tried a few more times and couldn't get a higher score, although I hit the 40k's a few times. I have come to realize that I really don't like Moon Patrol as much as I used to. With other HSC games like Pengo and Berzerk, I have improved my game , scored higher than ever, and enjoyed the challenge. Not so with Moon Patrol - the game frustrates me.

I tried a few more times and couldn't get a higher score, although I hit the 40k's a few times. I have come to realize that I really don't like Moon Patrol as much as I used to. With other HSC games like Pengo and Berzerk, I have improved my game , scored higher than ever, and enjoyed the challenge. Not so with Moon Patrol - the game frustrates me.

argh i know i swear it mut have been luck when i topped out

i tried over and over and i cant get past 50k

i can handle all the enemys but them damn strategily placed rocks

there is this one where you have to shoot a rock behind one of those ground grabbers before you jump over the ground grabber

geez who rigged this vehicle to have such a high idle and ineffective brakes

i don't even know why they put in the hill level i can do that with my eyes closed

If you even breathe next to a valley you fall in and die too. I'm afraid I am done forever with 5200 Moon Patrol. Does anyone have experience with the coin-op version to compare? Or the CV version?

The 5200 port isn't all that bad. Granted the control difference from other versions, on account of the stock controller design isn't that great. With all others that I've tried, CV, VCS, Arcade, TI99/4A, C64 and the Vic-20, to jump your vehicle in the air you push the joystick up. The CV version is nice in having the option of either using the right button or the joystick to jump. Having to use the top button for a jump is awkward on the 5200, especially if your stock controllers are functioning in a less than spectacular fashion. I also have the Apple ][ and IBM PC versions and possibly even the Speccy one, but I can't recall the control scheme for those. I'll have to try them again soon and see.

Sooo used to the 8 bit version but not used to a two button system.

Yep it's official... this game helped me re-remember why I hate the 5200 so much. Just a simple 2600 stick could have made the system so cool. But instead...

Thank you Moon Patrol for you and your 8-bit counterpart to help me re-remember the light.

Sooo used to the 8 bit version but not used to a two button system.

Yep it's official... this game helped me re-remember why I hate the 5200 so much. Just a simple 2600 stick could have made the system so cool. But instead...

Thank you Moon Patrol for you and your 8-bit counterpart to help me re-remember the light.

C'mon doc, that's not exactly fair judging the entire system on account of the odd control set-up on one game. True there's others such as Frogger and Q*Bert that do the same but I always figured that difference as part of the unique challenge to that particular port.

Try not to let it get you too frustrated. I know it can be aggravating but the 5200 can be very fun as well.

I never had a problem with Q*bert (or Frogger), in fact I thought the 5200 control scheme was superior to 2600/A8 digital setup where you had to rotate the control 45 degrees and remember to keep holding it that way. With the 5200 , you get true diagonals and you simply need to release the buttons to stop on a dime. I suggest 5200 Q*bert is the next HSC game so I can wipe the rest of you off the scoring map! :D

However, even when playing Moon Patrol on the A800win emulator, I just cannot train my fingers to get used to pressing 2 buttons, one for shoot and one for jump. The A8 "press Up" - I do remember playing that version more - is so much easier and less frustrating.

I never had a problem with Q*bert (or Frogger), in fact I thought the 5200 control scheme was superior to 2600/A8 digital setup where you had to rotate the control 45 degrees and remember to keep holding it that way. With the 5200 , you get true diagonals and you simply need to release the buttons to stop on a dime. I suggest 5200 Q*bert is the next HSC game so I can wipe the rest of you off the scoring map! :D

However, even when playing Moon Patrol on the A800win emulator, I just cannot train my fingers to get used to pressing 2 buttons, one for shoot and one for jump. The A8 "press Up" - I do remember playing that version more - is so much easier and less frustrating.

:) Thank you. Maybe it is just Moon Patrol, but glad I am not the only one frustrated by this. Yeh, I can get to level double Z on Moon Patrol on the Atari 800. The 5200... doing good to reach level U. :/

I have a suggestion on the next game putting down the controller with the score?

I'm not certain of exactly what you mean. Do you mean for everyone to list the controller they utilized along with each score submission? People can if they want. I wouldn't want to make such a specification mandatory. No need to make things more complex than necessary. The use of any controller is acceptable, as stated in every initial Round posting. That said it would be interesting to hear what other people use, either stock controllers, Trak-Ball, modded or self made controllers, etc. I leave it up to the individual to include whatever further information they desire to include.

I have a suggestion on the next game putting down the controller with the score?

I'm not certain of exactly what you mean. Do you mean for everyone to list the controller they utilized along with each score submission? People can if they want. I wouldn't want to make such a specification mandatory. No need to make things more complex than necessary. The use of any controller is acceptable, as stated in every initial Round posting. That said it would be interesting to hear what other people use, either stock controllers, Trak-Ball, modded or self made controllers, etc. I leave it up to the individual to include whatever further information they desire to include.

Yeah, Thats what i meant only if they wanted to do so...Since i only have Stock controllers, I need to get a something better

Yeah, Thats what i meant only if they wanted to do so...Since i only have Stock controllers, I need to get a something better

That's all I have as well, other than the Trak-Ball. The stock controllers are fine as long as they are working properly. Sadly most of the time they don't. I have to "warm them up" which is to say I need to push the fire buttons about a couple hundred times before I even plug them in and attempt to use them in a game. :| I plan to buy the "gold dot solution" from Best Electronics. The gold dot replacement parts are not exactly cheap but I've heard nothing but good reviews about them.

Best Electronics 5200 Gold Dot

That's all I have as well, other than the Trak-Ball. The stock controllers are fine as long as they are working properly. Sadly most of the time they don't. I have to "warm them up" which is to say I need to push the fire buttons about a couple hundred times before I even plug them in and attempt to use them in a game. :| I plan to buy the "gold dot solution" from Best Electronics. The gold dot replacement parts are not exactly cheap but I've heard nothing but good reviews about them.

Thats where i got mine though i notice that the gold dots are just on the Start,Pause,Reset. The fire buttons are 3 carbon disc i guess thats my problem?

Thanks

Thats where i got mine though i notice that the gold dots are just on the Start,Pause,Reset. The fire buttons are 3 carbon disc i guess thats my problem?

Thanks

The pictures on their site shows every button with a gold circle on it. It sounds like they made a mistake and sent out ones that weren't the way they were supposed to be. I would definitely bring it to their attention.

The fire buttons are what give me the most trouble and are the major reason I'm willing to pay the amount they ask for. If they're not gold plated then there's really no point of it.