IGNORED

Question about the WICO controller

IHATETHEBEARS

I recently purchased a 5200 system. One joystick doesn't seem to work at all. The other one has one button that doesn't work.

I also just purchased ADVENTURE II for the 5200. The game requires use of both buttons. The button that doesn't work is the one that I would use to drop items. So obviously I've got a major problem.

I'm real ignorant in my 5200 knowledge. So can someone explain to me abou the Wico stick? According to the database here, I also need a keypad thing to go with it. The prices for both seem to be ridiculously high though.

Does anyone know whether or not I can play ADVENTURE II with just the Wico joystick? That seems to cost enough on its own. But at least it's a lot cheaper than getting both it and the keypad together. But can I do some of the basic things that are necessary - like starting the game and so on? ADVENTURE II appears to have options that require the keypad for use. Would I be better off simply trying to get replacement parts for my non-functioning 5200 controllers?

Does the "Y-cord" plug into the 5200 controller, thus eliminating the need for the keypad?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by IHATETHEBEARS

Hello.

Yes you can play Adventure 2 with a Wico stick. Also if you have the proper Y cable you do not need the Wico keypad.

The Atari stick plugs into the Y cable allowing use of the START button and so on...

Thanks for the reply.

Just so I understand you correctly, both the Wico joystick and the original 5200 joystick plug together with the Y-cord? So I'd use the Wico for the gameplay, and the original 5200 joystick for the start button and so on?

Yes, that is right

yep its about the most stupid idea ever

since its the buttons that always fail ive never had the stick malfunction

best bet is to get some foil tape and stick it to all the button carbon contacts

even then the crappy flex circuit may have breaks

Yes, that is right

yep its about the most stupid idea ever

since its the buttons that always fail ive never had the stick malfunction

best bet is to get some foil tape and stick it to all the button carbon contacts

even then the crappy flex circuit may have breaks

none the less it is how the wico Y cable works.