IGNORED

Sealed insanity comes to the N64...

pinball22

That's just stupid. I've been wrong before, but I doubt anyone's going to pay that much.

I wouldn't have thought so, but that's a completed auction and it sold, much to my surprise.

I didn't notice that (just glanced). In that case, I'm shocked. Or, it's not a real bidder, someone just trying to drive the price up. Maybe unlikely, but it's the only way I can come to grips with such craziness. That game's a little hard to find, but not incredibly so... but to each their own, if it's worth that much to someone to have a sealed copy, then who am I to judge.

Yeah, I wondered if it was fake too. There have been some other pretty ridiculous sales recently, though, so maybe people have a lot more money than I imagine (and a lot less sense).

Maybe someone believes his/her money is safer with Mario than in the stock market. :P

It's beyond me why video game collectors would rather spend $800 on the N64 than the Atari 2600. Really there is not much bang for your buck. You spend $800 on the N64 and you get a semi-common sealed supermario party. You spend $800 on the Atari 2600 and you can so so so so much more. $800 will get you all these games sealed Frogger, Frogger II, Pitfall, Pitfall II, H.E.R.O., Pac-man, Miner2049er, Double Dragon, Mario Bros., Ikari Warriors, Motorodeo, Star Wars ESB, Star Wars RTOJ, Star Wars Arcade, Star Wars DSB, and even after buying all those games you have money to spare.

Again, I just don't get it. Why would anyone spend so much on a third banana system to the NES, when they could have such a beutiful collection? It makes absolutely no sense. Really, if that guy was to show off his SuperMario Party sealed game in a N64 forum everyone and their brother would take a collective yawn. That's the good thing about the Atari 2600. When you spend $800, you're going to get a pretty decent collection, not just one game that the common collector has.

Edit: Wow, I thought this was a super Nintendo game at first. Yes, this is pretty sad if true.

Double Edit: Here is a Zelda N64 sealed game that sold for $190.

http://cgi.ebay.com/N64-Zelda-Ocarina-of-T...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by homerwannabee

It's beyond me why video game collectors would rather spend $800 on the N64 than the Atari 2600. Really there is not much bang for your buck. You spend $800 on the N64 and you get a semi-common sealed supermario party. You spend $800 on the Atari 2600 and you can so so so so much more. $800 will get you all these games sealed Frogger, Frogger II, Pitfall, Pitfall II, H.E.R.O., Pac-man, Miner2049er, Double Dragon, Mario Bros., Ikari Warriors, Motorodeo, Star Wars ESB, Star Wars RTOJ, Star Wars Arcade, Star Wars DSB, and even after buying all those games you have money to spare.

Again, I just don't get it. Why would anyone spend so much on a third banana system to the NES, when they could have such a beutiful collection? It makes absolutely no sense. Really, if that guy was to show off his SuperMario Party sealed game in a N64 forum everyone and their brother would take a collective yawn. That's the good thing about the Atari 2600. When you spend $800, you're going to get a pretty decent collection, not just one game that the common collector has.

Edit: Wow, I thought this was a super Nintendo game at first. Yes, this is pretty sad if true.

Because the Atari 2600 does not hold any sentimental value for these people. They would rather one N64 game than 20 Atari games. In the same way that you may not collect Doris Day LPs from the 1050s, even though you can get 800 of them for $800. why would you want 20 Atari 2600 games for $800 when you can have 800 Doris Day LPs?

Because the Atari 2600 does not hold any sentimental value for these people. They would rather one N64 game than 20 Atari games. In the same way that you may not collect Doris Day LPs from the 1050s, even though you can get 800 of them for $800. why would you want 20 Atari 2600 games for $800 when you can have 800 Doris Day LPs?

I have been bouncing a similar idea around in my head a lot. I collect 2600 games because admittedly they have a lot of sentimental value for me. That is what makes them valuable -- I played/loved them as a kid and I get a kick out of playing them now. I do not see them as a true collectible or as a long term investment. Once us 30 and 40 somethings grow old and/or pass away, the demand will virtually disappear. Sure there might be a few people who find some novelty in the 2600 and what it represented in video gaming history, but not enough to demand a high price.

No don't try the Doris Day thing on me. No with LP's the collectors respect the older stuff. The Beatles are a classic, same thing with Led Zepplin. Both are before my time, but I really really respect their music. That analogy holds no water. If you want to go down that road music from my generation actually is cheaper than music from the previous generation. It's easy to get a Devo, Aerosmith, L.L. Cool J, N.W.A. Gun's and Roses LP in mint condition. In that respect your money is actually better served buying the the newer stuff. It's cheaper and you get more bang for your buck. A sealed Butcher Album in first state cost's $25,000. Your analogy blows chunks. Most of the expensive albums come from the 60's and 70's.

Video Games are nothing like music collecting. You have no idea what you are talking about. This argumentative path you are taking is false.

Look Pac-man is a classic. So is Pitfall, so is Frogger, so is Star Wars the Arcade game, So is Space Invaders. These sealed are so much a better buy than a Sealed N64 Mario Party.

Look, here is the argument you need to stick buy. This is the tired line by all Nintendo fans. Nintendo is still making consoles and still is making games. It is an active and thriving company. Atari is not that's why collectors flock to Nintendo stuff. But don't come out with you're music analogy. It's not true, not at all. Old classic LP's do sell for more money than newer stuff. Doris Day is not classic, The Beatles are classic, Soul music is classic, Jazz Music is classic but Doris Day is not classic.

No don't try the Doris Day thing on me. No with LP's the collectors respect the older stuff. The Beatles are a classic, same thing with Led Zepplin. Both are before my time, but I really really respect their music. That analogy holds no water. If you want to go down that road music from my generation actually is cheaper than music from the previous generation. It's easy to get a Devo, Aerosmith, L.L. Cool J, N.W.A. Gun's and Roses LP in mint condition. In that respect your money is actually better served buying the the newer stuff. It's cheaper and you get more bang for your buck. A sealed Butcher Album in first state cost's $25,000. Your analogy blows chunks. Most of the expensive albums come from the 60's and 70's.

Video Games are nothing like music collecting. You have no idea what you are talking about. This argumentative path you are taking is false.

Look Pac-man is a classic. So is Pitfall, so is Frogger, so is Star Wars the Arcade game, So is Space Invaders. These sealed are so much a better buy than a Sealed N64 Mario Party.

Look, here is the argument you need to stick buy. This is the tired line by all Nintendo fans. Nintendo is still making consoles and still is making games. It is an active and thriving company. Atari is not that's why collectors flock to Nintendo stuff. But don't come out with you're music analogy. It's not true, not at all. Old classic LP's do sell for more money than newer stuff. Doris Day is not classic, The Beatles are classic, Soul music is classic, Jazz Music is classic but Doris Day is not classic.

forget new LPs versus old LPs - you missed my analogy. the analogy was 1950s records versus Atari 2600. it comes down to what people have a sentiment/passion for. Nintendo collectors don't appreciate Atari games, so why would they buy them? They would prefer to have 1 good nintendo game than 800 Atari games, in much the same way that you or I would prefer to have 1 good Atari game than 800 Doris Day LPs. I'll give you 800 Doris Day Lps for your one Atlantis 2 cart - would you do it? No. So you are being hypocritical when you criticise Nintendo collectors for buying 1 Nintendo game when with the same money they can get 20 Atari games. I hope that the analogy is now clear.

In YOUR eyes. In the eyes of younger gamers pitfall, pacman etc are just junk - crappy graphics, crappy gameplay etc

In YOUR eyes. In the eyes of younger gamers pitfall, pacman etc are just junk - crappy graphics, crappy gameplay etc

Yes Homer, you are so right! :D

Damn right! :D :D

Damn right! :D :D

:D :D :D

It's beyond me why video game collectors would rather spend $800 on the N64 than the Atari 2600.

Oh maybe cause they like the N64 and not the 2600? Who are you to say where someone else spends their money and what they spend it on? Thats just silly. Look at it like this, whatever your favorite food is will not be my favorite food and neither you or me has the right to question what each others favorite food is cause you are you and I am me. It really is that simple.

Who are you to say where someone else spends their money and what they spend it on?

Haven't you figured that out from his other comments in other threads on matters of collecting? :ponder:

To say "someone" here is highly biased that the Atari is the only legimiate collectable and is driven soaly by value/profit is being generous.

From throwing away rare items rather then accept making less then he thinks it should be worth, to pissing & moaning about sellers devaluing his stuff by selling their's for less then he think's it worth... Would you really expect anything less. :roll:

Who are you to say where someone else spends their money and what they spend it on?

Haven't you figured that out from his other comments in other threads on matters of collecting? :ponder:

To say "someone" here is highly biased that the Atari is the only legimiate collectable and is driven soaly by value/profit is being generous.

From throwing away rare items rather then accept making less then he thinks it should be worth, to pissing & moaning about sellers devaluing his stuff by selling their's for less then he think's it worth... Would you really expect anything less. :roll:

Tell me what is the site called again. :roll: I can't believe I am getting flack for being an Atari 2600 fanboy on the premier Atari retro site. Really this is an Atari site, not an NES site, not a Playstation site, but a site dedicated to Atari. I would think if there was one place I could talk up the coolness of the Atari it would be on this site. Look at this thread there are more people actually defending the Nintendo 64 and justifying people paying outragous prices for a system that most people laughed at when it came out. Again, what site am I on? I can understand the flack if this was Nintendoage. But this is Atariage for crying out loud. Also by the way, I sold most of my valuable stuff anyways in the past year and a half. Also, here is a secret, I don't have a sealed frogger, or a sealed space invaders or almost any of the sealed games I mentioned. This is not about me this is about the hobby I love.

Edited by homerwannabee

Tell me what is the site called again. :roll: I can't believe I am getting flack for being an Atari 2600 fanboy on the premier Atari retro site. Really this is an Atari site, not an NES site, not a Playstation site, but a site dedicated to Atari. I would think if there was one place I could talk up the coolness of the Atari it would be on this site. Look at this thread there are more people actually defending the Nintendo 64 and justifying people paying outragous prices for a system that most people laughed at when it came out. Again, what site am I on? I can understand the flack if this was Nintendoage. But this is Atariage for crying out loud. Also by the way, I sold most of my valuable stuff anyways in the past year and a half. Also, here is a secret, I don't have a sealed frogger, or a sealed space invaders or almost any of the sealed games I mentioned. This is not about me this is about the hobby I love.

Yeah baby, YEAH! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Look at this thread there are more people actually defending the Nintendo 64 and justifying people paying outragous prices for a system that most people laughed at when it came out.

It has nothing to do with gaming at all actually, the posts are defending personal choice. A general freedom most tend to like.