IGNORED

Petition for a new batch of Cuttle Cart 2 (Atari 7800)

RayXambeR

But you can load almost every 2600 and 7800 game onto the CC2,not just a few homebrew games, you don't need to sit a computer next to it, and it comes with a cart case not just a pcb, a serial cable for dev work and an installation CD for the software required to use it

Ok...lets see......

Im not a big fan of loading ROMS via such devices...I see these as development tools.

I agree that the case would be nice but at under $100 ($85?) dollars you can

buy a spare Trevor Mc Fur cart and frankenstein it for use with the skunk. $5?

You might get one of the Trevors for nothing....shit..someone might even pay

you to take it from them its so boring.... :P

You dont NEED to sit next to a computer with a skunk either. You can upload

what ever to the flash. Then you can bring it with you and show your friends

on his Jaguar what you are developing. :)

CD...$1

But why waste a disc if you only need DL the free software

off od Tursi's site?

USB cable $10

ok so your aproaching 100 dollars..... $85 + $11 = $96.

Starting to see my point? :D

POKEY chip is anywhere between $0 and $5, about the same as a USB cable

More the reason to include it in the price then no?

VFM if you ask me

The device is a great unit. The price can be greatly reduced and the unit

updated.

Im sure it is very valuable to a collector and even a developer. Just out of

a price range I can justify is all. Again, my point being that it can be redone

with today's much denser and cheaper programable logic chips.

Im not saying change the design so much...only update it. Lose the RS-232

...or leave it there if this would cause compatibility issues....just add a USB

port. Flash ram is a dime a dozen any more and one could easily add a much

bigger block to the design.

CPLD's are dirt cheap and can easilly handle the necessary logic and decode.

Use a bigger FPGA like a Spartan 3AN have room for the device's original set

up and configuration and room left over for a DSP to emulate POKEY. This would

however, require outboard D2A converters(those don't cost shit any more either.)

If I was'nt such a novice with VHDL, I'd try to design something myself (among a ton

of other classic console addons.)

Edited by Gorf

Dont get me wrong.....I'd love to have one

Wait, what? Gorf wants a device that leads to piracy, much like proposed Jaguar flash carts etc.? :-o

Dont go here ok? It's a dev tool. I dont care if people use it to preserve there cart slot

if they already own the games. Lets not be ridiculous now, ok? :roll:

Edited by Gorf

• 3 weeks later...

If I had the funds at the time another batch would be available, I wouldn't think twice about buying a second one. I did have one with a pokey chip btw.

Both my Daughter and I loved that cart and it was the coolest and best I had ever gotten. I do think I'd like to pick up a CC3 if the price was right since both 1 & 2 ruled.

...and to keep my collection in the vault.

You don't have a 7800 Vault! We want proof.

For starters here is my NTSC set. :cool:

I could use some of those donors. LOL

Donors are in another pile but said pile does look very similar, it has dupes though...lol...

After spending around $350 on my CC2 (after eBay coupon from the AA memeber with Dr.Katz as his avatar) I would only want to see mine devalued with a new release in the case where the next edition were shall we say... less prone to breaking. Don't get me wrong, it is a great device, worth every penny... I do have every USA game cart... but you also get to play homebrew, works in progress, and play with dev, plus keep your boxed stuff on a shelf. Frogger, UFO, and more that just isn't going to be a cart for a while, if ever! BUT that SD slot just is NOT made to be used. Wish mine was the USB. I have several dead Sony products just like that, broken sdpro slot.... and they cost about as much as a CC2 when new as well.

AX

Dont get me wrong.....I'd love to have one

Wait, what? Gorf wants a device that leads to piracy, much like proposed Jaguar flash carts etc.? :-o

Dont go here ok? It's a dev tool. I dont care if people use it to preserve there cart slot if they already own the games. Lets not be ridiculous now, ok? :roll:

I concur on this. I still think it is hypocrital that Atariage will feature all Atari system roms BUT Jaguar, but good to see Gorf has widened his view on devices like these at least a little.

Then there was this statement I wanted to add to...

"I'm not saying change the design so much...only update it. Lose the RS-232

...or leave it there if this would cause compatibility issues....just add a USB

port. Flash ram is a dime a dozen any more and one could easily add a much

bigger block to the design."

You know I have yet to try the serial port on the Cuttle Cart 2. I think if I believed I could use it for RS232 communication to a modem I would do that. (hmmmm) What speed does that port run at, and can the 7800 access it while it is in operation?

Anyway, you see, I know very little about that port, and honestly never used it. If it were deleted that might save on production costs.

Maybe take a page from the Atarimax 128-in-1 USB cart for the 5200. Make a cartridge with flashram, and a USB port. Which is really the same idea of the Skunkboard, only the Atarimax 5200 cart has a onscreen menu and multi image select.

BUT that SD slot just is NOT made to be used. Wish mine was the USB. I have several dead Sony products just like that, broken sdpro slot.... and they cost about as much as a CC2 when new as well.

AX, get a RS-MMC card. It is a half length MMC card with an extender. Saves many CC2 cards and their MMC slots. I just put tape on the end of my card to pull the card out. I push it in carefully with something like toothpick.

After spending around $350 on my CC2 (after eBay coupon from the AA memeber with Dr.Katz as his avatar) I would only want to see mine devalued with a new release in the case where the next edition were shall we say... less prone to breaking. Don't get me wrong, it is a great device, worth every penny... I do have every USA game cart... but you also get to play homebrew, works in progress, and play with dev, plus keep your boxed stuff on a shelf. Frogger, UFO, and more that just isn't going to be a cart for a while, if ever! BUT that SD slot just is NOT made to be used. Wish mine was the USB. I have several dead Sony products just like that, broken sdpro slot.... and they cost about as much as a CC2 when new as well.

AX

UFO is my 7800 game and you wont see a bin for it. IT will ONLY be a cart.

AX

UFO is my 7800 game and you wont see a bin for it. IT will ONLY be a cart.

Yup, I remember you saying that... sorry. Just talking up the value of a CC2 for playing stuff that isn't done/out and sometimes never will be released. I don't know why, but frogger is one of those (its a pitty that isn't on a cart yet). Super Pac-man is supposed to be released in cart form... the rom is available to CC2 owner on that one. I don't have anything newer than mid-last year because I'm afraid of breaking the darn card slot. Gorf, I'll buy anything you publish man. I'd love to have the rom too, but as a collector and player I like them both. I'll live with just having the cart :)

AX

• 3 years later...

I just put tape on the end of my card to pull the card out. I push it in carefully with something like toothpick.

Thread necro! :-)

Just getting back into my 7800 and CC2, and got an RSMMC for it.. Just wondering..

Do you (or anyone who do this) still do that? If so, what type of tape?

How does/did it hold?

Lately, I've been unplugging the card a lot as I have been adding the homebrews I'd missed after a while and tweaking the menus.

But I assume that will go back to happening very infrequently...

Thanx,

desiv

I've also wondered if it would be feasible to find a small USB/MMC card reader and:

- Remove the MMC slot from it.

- Remove the USB plug from it.

- Solder the pads from it's MMC slot to the pads on the CC2's MMC slot.

- Solder a mini-USB plug to the spots where the full size USB slot was.

(And mount it inside the CC2)

And then use it that way. (Assuming it would work at all)

Of course, the danger would be that you could only use it when the 7800 wasn't ON.. Maybe some kind of safety circuit that disables the USB if the CC2 is powered on??

But I think all that is too much for my severe lack of ability... ;-)

Edited by desiv