IGNORED

Shipping a large, heavy item

batari

I am having a large TV shipped, and looking for cheap shipping options. I checked the major carriers and don't much like their prices (over $100.)

The item is 99 lbs, and the package size is 52x38x16. It is being shipped pretty much directly down the I-5 corridor, about 1000 miles. It's new, in its original box and ready to go.

I don't care if I the TV needs to be dropped off somewhere, nor do I care if it needs to be picked up somewhere, such as at the shipper's hub. The goal is low cost, but of course with some sort of shipping insurance.

Suggestions based on experience would be great.

I am having a large TV shipped, and looking for cheap shipping options. I checked the major carriers and don't much like their prices (over $100.)

The item is 99 lbs, and the package size is 52x38x16. It is being shipped pretty much directly down the I-5 corridor, about 1000 miles. It's new, in its original box and ready to go.

I don't care if I the TV needs to be dropped off somewhere, nor do I care if it needs to be picked up somewhere, such as at the shipper's hub. The goal is low cost, but of course with some sort of shipping insurance.

Suggestions based on experience would be great.

For large items Greyhound usually works and is less costly than most other competitors.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Greyhound was cheap and fast, but they only insure up to $300 (the item is worth much more.) That's an excellent option for the future though, as it seems suitable for large, heavy items with relatively low value.

Forward Air seems more of a freight shipper than a package shipper. It would cost me $260 to ship the TV through them. Apparently, for the same price, I could ship the TV and a few dozen cinder blocks. Looks like a great idea for other items, but not this.

The best price I've found from a major carrier is FedEx Ground, and it's just under the weight limit of 100 lbs. They still want too much, IMO.