IGNORED

popeye help.?

jc78_2005

i have tried popeye with 4 different controllers that work fine with every other game,, and for what ever reason, popeye does not respond to the down movement of the joystick? is there a trick to this that i dont know? down ,works on all other games, soo im kinda lost here, any help is appreciated.

i have tried popeye with 4 different controllers that work fine with every other game,, and for what ever reason, popeye does not respond to the down movement of the joystick? is there a trick to this that i dont know? down ,works on all other games, soo im kinda lost here, any help is appreciated.

i ran into the same problem with my new homemade controller

popeye is weird mine seems to want a little over 510k to trigger down the stairs and ladder i also ran into the same problem with gyruss

there are a couple fixes and neither are easy

i hear there is an adjustment dial inside the machine(but i havent opened mine)

second add a 10 k resistor to your controller v pot(open controller disconnect one wire from a leg of the pot put 10k resistor from the pot leg to the wire)

if you have multiple controllers this is the one i recomend because messing with the innards when all other games work doesnt make sense to me

also try pulling the cart in and out a few times with it off and unplugging the controller and plugging it back in while it is on then turn it off and on

(i had a weird experience with montezumas revenge once it just seemed locked to run right and press down (with a bone stock controller) sometimes montezumas revenge seems possessed by the devil

maybe your popeye has a case of a lesser imp or demon

i ran into the same problem with my new homemade controller

popeye is weird mine seems to want a little over 510k to trigger down the stairs and ladder i also ran into the same problem with gyruss

there are a couple fixes and neither are easy

i hear there is an adjustment dial inside the machine(but i havent opened mine)

second add a 10 k resistor to your controller v pot(open controller disconnect one wire from a leg of the pot put 10k resistor from the pot leg to the wire)

if you have multiple controllers this is the one i recomend because messing with the innards when all other games work doesnt make sense to me

also try pulling the cart in and out a few times with it off and unplugging the controller and plugging it back in while it is on then turn it off and on

(i had a weird experience with montezumas revenge once it just seemed locked to run right and press down (with a bone stock controller) sometimes montezumas revenge seems possessed by the devil

maybe your popeye has a case of a lesser imp or demon

hey thanx so much!! i will first open up the 5200 and see if i can find the adjustment dial , i had heard taht also. if that doesnt do it ,i will try to scrap up a 10k resistor to add to the vertical pot, i hope one or the other works,, i love that game, ,but it really loses somethign not bein able to go down, lol, yeah mine may have an imp or a resistance nome . i will let ya know about the dial .

Are you simply pointing the stick DOWN or at an angle? The stairs go down at a slight angle so you have to push the stick accordingly. Sounds simple I know, but maybe that's the problem. Of course Im talking the steps on the sides of the screen, not the ladder in the middle....

There is a very easy 3 step fix for this problem.

Buy an 800XL

Buy an 8-bit Popeye

Use any 9-pin controller.

Enjoy! :)

There is an optional step 4. Some people won't recommend it but I will: Dump the 5200 in a river. ;)

haha , well i have an xegs , and i would would rather throw it ina river! im not a fan of the 8-bit pc's, imo they jsut dont have the style the 5200 has, and i am one of the few who actually like the 5200 controller,i dont mind repairing them every few years or so, its like owning a sports car, ya dont send a corvette to the junkyard, because it has a flat tire.. just my opinion of course.

Buy an 800XL

Buy an 8-bit Popeye

There is an optional step 4. Some people won't recommend it but I will: Dump the 5200 in a river. ;)

haha , well i have an xegs , and i would would rather throw it ina river! im not a fan of the 8-bit pc's, imo they jsut dont have the style the 5200 has, and i am one of the few who actually like the 5200 controller,i dont mind repairing them every few years or so, its like owning a sports car, ya dont send a corvette to the junkyard, because it has a flat tire.. just my opinion of course.

Agreed. If you're not a decent enough gamer to adapt to the controller of a GREAT system, then maybe you should throw ALL your game systems in a river.

Great analogy with the flat tire BTW. :thumbsup:

Buy an 800XL

Buy an 8-bit Popeye

Agreed. If you're not a decent enough gamer to adapt to the controller of a GREAT system, then maybe you should throw ALL your game systems in a river.

Great analogy with the flat tire BTW. :thumbsup:

thanx jetset!, yeah i have tried down, down at an angle, ,several times,, and again these directions work fine in other games, im gonan try some adjustments tonight, ,hopefully that will line it out,

prob solved!! there is a little pot in the system, ,mine was at r132. a little turning on it counter clock wise and popeye goes where i want him to now!! also, my trakball seems a little more accurate as a bonus! i guess over ther years of bein knocked around, sold and bought they just jar out of adjustment,thanx for all the advice,, now we know!

Edited by jc78_2005