IGNORED

Atari 5200 & 7800 8bit Domain MOD S-video scanlines FIX!

phonedork

From what I read some of you guys including myself have been getting scanlines in your 8bit domain mod. As I was browsing through this site I ran across this topic...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=127926

And I realize that in his 7800 mod he removed the RF Modulator pins to quit using it all together. So I removed the RF Modulator pins inside both my 7800 and 5200, which are both modded with the

8bit domain s-video mod. After I cut and removed the RF modulator pins the screen was clear and without scanlines. It looks ALOT better. It is a dramatic change. However, you can never use the RF modulator again

to connect to the TV. It appears the RF modulator was creating RF Noise on my S-video mod creating these horrid lines in any solid color. I know I am not the only one who got these lines.

Note... My atari 5200 4port system is modded to take a regular 5200 plug and s-video, so there is no RF power box on my 4 port Atari 5200. I was a little hesitant to cut the RF on my 4 port thinking

that it may cause a problem giving power to my 5200, but it works fine. I aslo performed this on my Atari 5200 2 port system and it works great as well. Just simply cut those RF modulator pins with a

pair of Flush Cuts or soldiering iron.

For my Atari 7800 I removed the two resistors described in the topic http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=127926 as well as cutting the RF modulator pins as in the pics and now my 7800

has great picture with scanlines across the screen.

So last night I tested this on a CRT TV and now I went ahead and connected My Atari 5200 and 7800 to my LCD screen today and noticed that it looks alot better then it ever did when the RF modulator was still working. There however was a little bit of scanlines, but they are no where near as bas as before. They appear less dark and not as noticeable. The picture is at least 10 times better then before. This will definately give you a better picture. But like I said, you will never be able to use that RF modulator again unless you soldier it back.

Tested..

Atari 5200:

Adventure 2 - looks more clear and no color bleed. The castles look more clear and I see less ghosting on the dragons

Donkey Kong - No more bars running down solid colors. Donkey Kong use to have dark lines running vertical down his body in s-video, but not know more.

Space Dungeon, Popeye, and Defende - All these games look better with black color being truly black and not vertical lines.

Atari 7800:

Pacman Collection - No more vertical lines running through Pacman or any of the colored mazes. You can actually see the eyes of the ghost much clearer.

Joust - No more vertical lines in solid color, much clearer

Midnight Mutants: This games clooks extremely clearer

Atari 2600 games running through the 7800:

Adventure- looks alot better, but there still seems to be ghosting on certain colors. Note, I never had as great of a picture with 2600 games through the 7800. It seems that the 7800 games get the most benefit. Not sure why.

Yars Revenge, Freeway, raiders of the lost ark, and haunted house looks great!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

From what I read some of you guys including myself have been getting scanlines in your 8bit domain mod. As I was browsing through this site I ran across this topic...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=127926

And I realize that in his 7800 mod he removed the RF Modulator pins to quit using it all together. So I removed the RF Modulator pins inside both my 7800 and 5200, which are both modded with the

8bit domain s-video mod. After I cut and removed the RF modulator pins the screen was clear and without scanlines. It looks ALOT better. It is a dramatic change. However, you can never use the RF modulator again

to connect to the TV. It appears the RF modulator was creating RF Noise on my S-video mod creating these horrid lines in any solid color. I know I am not the only one who got these lines.

Note... My atari 5200 4port system is modded to take a regular 5200 plug and s-video, so there is no RF power box on my 4 port Atari 5200. I was a little hesitant to cut the RF on my 4 port thinking

that it may cause a problem giving power to my 5200, but it works fine. I aslo performed this on my Atari 5200 2 port system and it works great as well. Just simply cut those RF modulator pins with a

pair of Flush Cuts or soldiering iron.

For my Atari 7800 I removed the two resistors described in the topic http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=127926 as well as cutting the RF modulator pins as in the pics and now my 7800

has great picture with scanlines across the screen.

Hi, I have a 5200 I would like to update to the S video setup. How is this done and what is needed. I have an extra console to play with.

Thanks,

h20tension@yahoo.com

• 6 years later...