IGNORED

Confusing auction for jeans that says "Atari"...

pinball22

It means they are a keyword spamming asshat.

I thought that too, but there aren't other random words... and they made a sentence with it, as if it means something, so I wondered if maybe I just didn't know something. But maybe this is the new way of keyword spamming... "This item has a beautiful Atari, complete NES, and is somewhat PS2!"

Did you guys not see, maybe it wasn't added yet, but someone asked the seller, here's what they said:

I'm actually surprised that it took until now for someone to ask. Believe it or not, denim enthusiasts have specific terms for the fading of indigo in the material that comes from day-to-day wear. This fading is known as the Japanese term 'atari'. There are other terms that they use as well such as hige, and honeycombs in reference to the wear on the lap area and behind the knees.

Did you guys not see, maybe it wasn't added yet, but someone asked the seller, here's what they said:

I'm actually surprised that it took until now for someone to ask. Believe it or not, denim enthusiasts have specific terms for the fading of indigo in the material that comes from day-to-day wear. This fading is known as the Japanese term 'atari'. There are other terms that they use as well such as hige, and honeycombs in reference to the wear on the lap area and behind the knees.

Here are some of the problem with that claim.

Looking at several Japanese dictionaries, none of them show "fading" or "abrasion" as a meaning of the word.

Looking up denim speak, I only found two references to this meaning. One was Evisu, a Japanese based premium denim store, and only on their blog page. The other was on some denimnews blog that said in reference to fading and highlights "I understand the Japanese call this effect "atari.""

I get the impression this is not some hard core universal term being used by everyone in the scene, and more along the lines of elite speak trying to sound cool like they have some connection to Hidehiko Yamane or something.

It's an Amercian auction, for an Amercian made pair of jeans, and American words exist to describe this that you will see being used in the general denim scene. Maybe they should have followed along that line rather then being pretentious. :ponder:

Edited by Artlover

So, my apologies to Artlover and Shawn Sr. for having so liberally used the word Atari. I wasn't aware that eBay sales were the stomping grounds of the vanguard of the Atari name.

Please relax guys, it's just a pair of jeans -- I didn't mean to cause you any grief! ;)

I don't know how much I can go by way of proof, as I'm not sure it would change your minds, however, I assure you that in the analog world where many self-appointed fashionistas dwell these terms are used.

A jean forum has people excited to use the term here, in 2006: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=12615. Which leads to another jean community in Japan here: http://denim-gallery.heavy.jp/ -- You probably didn't turn up much by way of Google as not many Japanese people speak to other Japanese in romaji (romanization of japanese). The terms you're searching for are usually in kana.

In any case, thanks for stopping by my auctions, and if you're interested, good luck bidding! :)

LOL @ replies -- hahaha

I'm going to *really* start listing my auctions to keyword spamming now, I'm sure we'd get some interesting results:

North Face Borealis Back Pac Man

BMW 335xi E92 Frogger Lights

or my personal favourite: Victoria's Secret Gold Text Men's Thong XXL

Edited by EbayerPassingBy

I'd buy those :) Actually, I'm gonna get my wife to sew me up some on my ol' levis :lol:

And when she does, get her to make an extra pair so you can list 'em on eBay ... a *real* pair of Atari jeans and not that weird keyword spamming bullshit that them asshats are doing nowadays ...

;)

Edited by EbayerPassingBy

Hey, Ebayer, welcome and glad to see you have a sense of humor. :) Thanks for explaining! Now my next question... what makes a good atari in that sense?

That's a killer question pinball22, as with all things fashion, it's entirely subjective. Some people love worn out knees, some people prefer the whiskering at the top of the pants going left to right, some people love really random and unstructured honeycombs behind the knees. 'Good' atari, in my opinion is atari that isn't too fake looking, and shows a little something unique about the person. For example, the atari that you see on someone's jeans that walks in snow every day (streaky indigo, salt lines at the hems) isn't the same atari that you see on someone that rides their bike in dry warm weather every day (faded ankles, faded crotch, cuff marks from rolling up the jeans).

Now, I've seen ridiculous examples of people taking this atari business to an extreme. Some people take sandpaper to their jeans while they're wearing it to increase fading as atari takes time to develop. Fake atari is overly contrasted, and if it's 'pre-distressed' (i.e. bought faded from the store) it usually doesn't line up perfectly with the person's body, so faded and honeycombed knees are a little lower than the person's actual knee etc. etc.

There isn't a science about this per se, but I've certainly seen my fair share of weird atari -- the Swedish brand 'Nudie' first started out with pre-distress condom-shaped atari in the coin-pocket. I've seen people put objects into their jeans like New York Yankees logos or brass knuckles, just so that they get some really one-of-a-kind fading.

Personally (and this is shamless bias here) I think my jeans listed are in the best possible shape for potential. They've been broken in, so the indigo will fall a lot quicker, and the beginnings of atari are starting to show. However, they're not quite fully developed yet, so they'll certainly take to any personalization, it's not like the next person wearing these is going to feel like they're wearing my jeans.

Savvy?

Reading that over, I feel somewhat ridiculous. To be completely honest, I used to be into that a whole lot more than now, and I think my waning interest was the impetus for me to start unloading them. Ebay was just the best way for me to reach a broad audience and hopefully help someone find what they were looking for. At the top of the thread, I said, relax, it's just a pair of jeans. And that still holds true now. :)