IGNORED

Yet another new 5200 owner, help my controller

cybercylon

Yes, I know there are zillions of these posts around, but picked one up over the weekend from Craigs list. $22 netted me a four port model and 10 commons. Low and behold, swung by a classic game store near me, and was able to pick up a few more commons. Almost never see them in the wild around here.

About the controllers. I think the hatred of the stick is somewhat over-rated. It does take getting used to, but fortunately one of the controllers isn't too spongy. Was able to get through several levels of pac-man. That's all I ever get through anyway. The other controller is shot until a new flex circuit and boot comes in (contacts 100% oxidized).

So, I've managed to get one controller working... sort of. The hint I read about using a hole punch to punch out some aluminum foil and putting it under the buttons has helped. No more mashing on the fire button until my fingers bleed. However, this did not work on the start, pause, and rest buttons. Right now, I've removed the bezel and have that part of the flex circuit sticking out the rubber buttons removed. If apply pressure to both the button and the underneath side of the flex circuit, I can get the game started. This is kind of annoying though. I've clean, and cleaned this part of the circuit (there wasn't any visible oxidation in the first place). Any other suggestions to get me through the next month or so until I can get some parts in? Does this look like I need to get another flex circuit....?

Favorite so far: Vanguard. I know most hate it, but I loved it in the arcade, and this is as close as one is going to get outside of MAME. Looking forward to getting my hands on bezerk.

Anyway, never had a 5200 as a kid. I had a 2600, and still own a 7800. Once life settles down, I might set up a versus page (e.g., 5200 ms-pac man versus 7800 versus arcade).

i love vanguard too i hate the diagonal levels though(rainbow stage) another game that gets some hate is kangaroo which i like a little more than

i have a pretty bad controller i took off the start pause bezel and buttons and press start with a penny if your lines are broken though i dont know what you can do i really should buy some new flex circuits

oh btw you are going to need some new double stick scotch tape (celo tape for the GBians) to stick the buttons circuits down

if you feel brave i could walk you through making your own controller

Edited by bohoki

The analog stick is perfectly fine. I also have a Wico (smaller one), and the control is not much better. I think it's the console/games more than anything. Anyway, yeah, my controllers from a 5200 ebay lot last year looked perfect, but barely worked. I opened them up, cleaned everything out with rubbing alcohol, and now they work for the most part. Start/Pause/Reset are not so great, nor are the keypad buttons, but the stick and the fire buttons work pretty good on both. But like I said, the controllers are in really good cosmetic condition, so maybe they were still fairly intact?

One of these days I'll probably go for the www.best-electronics-ca.com replacement parts. I've mostly be on hold while I sort out which of my 2600 controllers need parts. From what I've read, Best's flex circuits and buttons (which have gold contacts) are the best (no PUN) solution.

Edited by Greg2600

Well, one of my gold flex circuits came today, so we shall see how that goes. The biggest problem for me is getting the bloody start, pause, reset buttons working. Having said that, there is a lot of oxidation on the circuit pad, so it's probably age and filth causing the problem.

Making a custom controller might be the way to go someday. My knowledge of resistors, diodes, capacitors, etc is very rusty (more than 20 years ago), and I haven't used a soldering iron much.

Well, the new flex circuit worked like a charm. After playing for awhile, I'd rate the 7800 controller as worse than this. Those really hurt my hands!

My son's first game was Daytona on the Dreamcast. Plays mostly racing games on the 360. Now he is playing Vanguard. I think it's the simplicity that attracts people. I'm not always in the mood to sit down and slog through something like Fallout 3. When I am tired, simple is better.

One of these days I'll probably go for the www.best-electronics-ca.com replacement parts. .... From what I've read, Best's flex circuits and buttons (which have gold contacts) are the best (no PUN) solution.

Well, the new flex circuit worked like a charm. After playing for awhile,

I just got a complete Gold Dot refurb kit from Best Electronics and I've got to say it's amazing how much of a difference there is. It's like the controller is brand new again. For years I've been struggling with my one semi-functional controller. I was getting to dread playing anything on the 5200 because it meant pushing those damned fire buttons with all the force I could manage about a 100 times at least just to make them work at all. Even then it was still painful and was hit or miss whether they'd work right at the moment they should. Games like Miner 2049's and Montezuma's Revenge were all but unplayable. I'm amazed how at the slightest touch any of the buttons respond now. I certainly wish I had acquired these a while ago. Yeah, they're not exactly cheep but the lack of stress and finger pain makes it well worth it. Sadly, my second controller seems to be totally shot now so I'll have to buy a completely assembled refurbished controller to replace it. It sure will be nice having two perfect 5200 sticks again though. I haven't had that since shortly after I bought the system new 25 years ago. :D

I do not care for the analog controllers.

However, a HUGE problem are those circuit-tapes. Every time you take apart a 5200 controller, you risk ruining them. I've managed to solder them, but it's a REAL hassle.

So, if you intend to tinker around with those controllers, do be very careful.

Note: If you have a multi-tester, you can see if pushing a button closes a circuit.

Here are my plans on how to figure out which hole does what:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119395

Hope this helps!

One of these days I'll probably go for the www.best-electronics-ca.com replacement parts. .... From what I've read, Best's flex circuits and buttons (which have gold contacts) are the best (no PUN) solution.

Well, the new flex circuit worked like a charm. After playing for awhile,

I just got a complete Gold Dot refurb kit from Best Electronics and I've got to say it's amazing how much of a difference there is. It's like the controller is brand new again. For years I've been struggling with my one semi-functional controller. I was getting to dread playing anything on the 5200 because it meant pushing those damned fire buttons with all the force I could manage about a 100 times at least just to make them work at all. Even then it was still painful and was hit or miss whether they'd work right at the moment they should. Games like Miner 2049's and Montezuma's Revenge were all but unplayable. I'm amazed how at the slightest touch any of the buttons respond now. I certainly wish I had acquired these a while ago. Yeah, they're not exactly cheep but the lack of stress and finger pain makes it well worth it. Sadly, my second controller seems to be totally shot now so I'll have to buy a completely assembled refurbished controller to replace it. It sure will be nice having two perfect 5200 sticks again though. I haven't had that since shortly after I bought the system new 25 years ago. :D

My plan is to give the second controller the complete gold dot treatment once other things settle down. The pots and other internal parts are fine.

Replacing the flex circuit isn't that hard.

I have two controllers...one works good and the other is completely broken....

the one that works I noticed ...the start/pause/reset buttons always break and I always have to open in it up and clean the flex cirquit with an eraser. I learned that from reading 5200 repair website recently. I find it helps cleaning it with a plain eraser.

The one that is totally broken,all the buttons work except the joystick is screwed up....can't figure out how to make it work

:ponder: :(

I have two controllers...one works good and the other is completely broken....

the one that works I noticed ...the start/pause/reset buttons always break and I always have to open in it up and clean the flex cirquit with an eraser. I learned that from reading 5200 repair website recently. I find it helps cleaning it with a plain eraser.

The one that is totally broken,all the buttons work except the joystick is screwed up....can't figure out how to make it work

:ponder: :(

ive never ever had the pots go bad on a 5200 even when they are saturated with dr pepper atari learned its lesson from the paddles i guess

maybe your broke controller was assembled wrong does it feel like it is moving the internals when you move the stick?

also there is the possibility of a broken wire (especially with atari telling people to wind the cord around the stick tightly and cramming it in the little trap door in the back

heck i'm not really one to talk i got 3 bad ones and one barely good one i just felt like staring from scratch cause of the buttons

and being that there are only a handful of games that "need" analog movement i rigged up one with an arcade microswitch joystick

"maybe your broke controller was assembled wrong does it feel like it is moving the internals when you move the stick? "

It feels like it's stuck and can't move the characters up,just down,left and right...I even centered the joystick right and still

can't move it up, it just keeps getting stuck moving down :(