IGNORED

5200 Killer Apps

Ransom

I had a 5200 way back when they came out, and loved it! Then I got an Atari 8-bit computer, and got rid of the 5200 with no regrets.

I also had one in the 90s -- complete with two NIB track-balls bought at a warehouse sale for $5 each -- and enjoyed reliving some fond memories. Then I sold that on the useNET game auction newsgroup.

Now, since I have a 2600 and an Atari 8-bit computer, both with tons of games, I'm trying to figure out if there would be any reason for me to get a 5200 again. They're huge & clunky, and there don't seem to be that many (any?) games on it that aren't available (one way or another) on either the 2600 or the Atari8.

So what are the 5200's killer apps? Or is it just all about the nostalgia?

I had a 5200 way back when they came out, and loved it! Then I got an Atari 8-bit computer, and got rid of the 5200 with no regrets.

I also had one in the 90s -- complete with two NIB track-balls bought at a warehouse sale for $5 each -- and enjoyed reliving some fond memories. Then I sold that on the useNET game auction newsgroup.

Now, since I have a 2600 and an Atari 8-bit computer, both with tons of games, I'm trying to figure out if there would be any reason for me to get a 5200 again. They're huge & clunky, and there don't seem to be that many (any?) games on it that aren't available (one way or another) on either the 2600 or the Atari8.

the pitfall 2's deeper level

Rescue on Fractalus (because of the analog control)

Space Dungeon (did this ever make it to another platform?)

Centipede (because the 5200 trackball is perfect)

i'm a major c64 guy and i have a couple disks i call my 5200 collection its the games that the 5200 has the 5200 has good color better than the c64 in my opinion

funny they never made a robotron 2084 on the c64

Gremlins! Excellent!

Defender

Centipede

Robotron

Zone Ranger

Space Dungeon

Realsports Baseball

Zaxxon

More recently...

Castle Crisis

Adventure II

Blaster

All those games except Adventure 2 can be found on the Atari 8bit. Plus the Atari 8bit has MORE games.

Haunted House 2 and Combat 2 are also only on the Atari 5200 if you want to pay high for one. But those games are not great.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the day, I spread the good news of Qix to anyone who would listen. Defender was totally awesome too. Defender was the game which I would show to Colecovision worshipers to watch them forsake their false idol and return to the true faith of the Atari.

Nowadays, things are a little different. Many of the 5200's games are arcade ports, which makes them less attractive in this age where one can just play an arcade perfect emulation elsewhere.

Still, I'd say Centipede and a Track-Ball is a unique experience outside a true arcade machine. Countermeasure is pretty distinct as well.

In terms of games which weren't released back in the day, Super Pac-Man, Pac-Man Jr, and Blaster top the list.

Then there's Adventure 2, which is like a crowning jewel for the system. Seriously, get this game.

Defender

Centipede

Robotron

Zone Ranger

Space Dungeon

Realsports Baseball

Zaxxon

More recently...

Castle Crisis

Adventure II

Blaster

All those games except Adventure 2 can be found on the Atari 8bit. Plus the Atari 8bit has MORE games.

Haunted House 2 and Combat 2 are also only on the Atari 5200 if you want to pay high for one. But those games are not great.

Centipede 5200 is a unique port. Not only were the graphics polished, but the difficulty is increased thanks to a more aggressive spider, and a smaller playfield. It's the game that sold me on the 5200. There's less wasted space in the play, every move you make has consequences.

The Videogame Critic gives it an A- vs. the 8 bits' C.

Edited by A Sprite

All those games except Adventure 2 can be found on the Atari 8bit.

THe 5200 Qix cannot be found on the 8-bit. THe 5200 one is different from the 8-bit one.. in a much much better way. Better sound, graphics and control.

Edited by Inky

Thank you for all the replies!

I decided to take the plunge and get a 5200. I found one complete (no box) that's reasonably cheap. I'm hoping it'll be in working condition as advertised! (Tho I don't expect the stick to work...I figure I'll get one from Best anyway, so it won't matter.)

I decided to take the plunge and get a 5200. I found one complete (no box) that's reasonably cheap. I'm hoping it'll be in working condition as advertised! (Tho I don't expect the stick to work...I figure I'll get one from Best anyway, so it won't matter.)

Get yourself a multicart. Unless you're getting the system solely for collecting, you'll be glad you did.

Get yourself a multicart. Unless you're getting the system solely for collecting, you'll be glad you did.

Pardon my ignorance, but what benefit would I get from having a multicart?

i too would be interested in any benefit beyond the obvious of having every game (along with donkey kong and spyhunter) and not ever having to remove and insert a cart ever again

i too would be interested in any benefit beyond the obvious of having every game (along with donkey kong and spyhunter) and not ever having to remove and insert a cart ever again

I like the act of going to the shelf, letting my eye roam over those beautiful boxes as I think about what I want this time. When I've made my choice, I like to open up the box and pull out that big cart, feel it in my hand and smell its distinctive scent. It feels so good when I slip it into the slot then push the button that turns it on. (I always slip my overlay on first, of course.)

Anything less, and you might as well be playing with an emulator.

:D

Edited by Ransom