IGNORED

Multi sound...

emkay

What to say?

Hardsynth methode gets better when the timing is more precise..... but the emulation gets more loose. To adjust the sound in the emulation results again in some wrong sounds on the real thing. But it is still good for a demonstration.

Listen to sounds you never may have heared before from POKEY. Particular the synth voice in the upper midrange: clear and without clicks or else... and a nice reverb is still enhancing it.

Mostly the bass sounds suffer by the different timings..

4xst.zip

It's an interesting example Emkay, can you explain with some further details what you did to create the mp3 example

Fandal (regards) recorded it for me.

:D I meant the technical details of what you tweaked in the emulation to produce the example recorded in the mp3, or was it recorded from the real hardware?

It's an interesting example Emkay, can you explain with some further details what you did to create the mp3 example

Fandal (regards) recorded it for me.

:D I meant the technical details of what you tweaked in the emulation to produce the example recorded in the mp3, or was it recorded from the real hardware?

Ofcourse it was recorded from the real hardware...

Another test... with 4channel hardsynth at 4x speed:

Atari has only ONE Pokey.

This 8channel hardsynth tune for "Mutant'ari".

OK. Just give me a tracker with full POKEY support and I'll give it a try.

POKEY cannot replay Music with 4 channels... alike how fast you update the generators.

At least some tracker with 4x speed for one hardsynth channel, the 2nd channel may be handled fast enough at single(or double) speed and one digi channel for the deep sounds...

We could use this music for "ingame" then...

But, until we don't have this, I think it is better to do examples with the available stuff.

The tune suffers heavily by the different timing there. Particular with the bass tones (as always)....

But let's have alook at the waveforms, recorded from the real thing: I wonder if someone really recognizes what's going on here.

Just some term: Multi waveforms.

They are not caused by any heavy CPU load. They are caused by a timed programming of a generator and the additional "Filter" at 15kHz...

And I really wonder, why this fact that we could call the "filter" of POKEY an LFO is denied for a long timespan of more than 30 years..

And, what makes me even more wondering is the fact that still (almost) NO one is caring about this fact....

post-2756-1233262718_thumb.png

Two short recordings of the 2nd tune. You may recognize that the low melodic sounds turn into some digital noise, while the high sounds seem more accurate on the real thing. (lower and higher notes fit better together and the high sounds are even more stable)

The low sounds simply need a different timing than the emulation.

7890.zip

They are not caused by any heavy CPU load. They are caused by a timed programming of a generator and the additional "Filter" at 15kHz...

And I really wonder, why this fact that we could call the "filter" of POKEY an LFO is denied for a long timespan of more than 30 years..

And, what makes me even more wondering is the fact that still (almost) NO one is caring about this fact....

that is a very interesting observation. are you saying that the "filter" is in fact, an LFO modulating the pulse width of the square waves? in my short experience so far with the POKEY, i've been curious about this very thing. to me, it actually does sound more like PWM than a filter... cool stuff!