IGNORED

The pics of my restoration even if they are not so great

RichG1972

As you can see by the pics the process was meticulous and it took 2 hours to complete. First I disassembled the unit and removed the old inside parts and the front bezel, then I went over the inside of the casing with a few "Sani-Dex Anti-Microbial Towelettes" to get rid of any dirt, dust and residue. I then installed the new front bezel, put in the new motherboard and switchboard, screwed them down firmly and tightly with brand new screws and put on the new foam switch washers, installed the new RF cable with the RF suppressing Torrid on it, then re-assembled the two halves and tightened the them together with brand new screws. I then rebuilt the joysticks by taking them apart and wiping them down with the aforementioned "Sani-Dex Anti-Microbial Towelettes" like I did the console, then replaced the rubber boot, removed the old PC Boards from each of the sticks, and removed the inner handles, springs, fire buttons and the old kinked up cables and replaced everything and then painted the raised detail of the joysticks (which were originally all black Vader joysticks) to match the piping on the new Atari 2600 bezel. I then put it all back together and the end result is what you see in each of the "after" pics. If any of you need help with your restoration project I'll be glad to help out, feel free to IM me on any of my messengers, and add me to every one of them if you want to, I'm always on all of them and would love to hear from you all.

RichG1972

• 1 month later...

Looks Great ! Were did you get new switches and bezel and other parts or are these cleaned, polished, and touched up parts ?

I have an old heavy sixer and am thinking of repainting the orange/yellow trim around the swirches that has mostly worn off. Is this what you did ?

Good Job ! :D

• 11 months later...

MaxSpeed,

You really need to pay attention to everything I outlined that I did, I CLEARLY stated that I replaced the bezel, not repainted but REPLACED,

and that I replaced the switchboard and motherboard with brand new board sets, take a good look at the original switches and see the smoke on the switches, and look at how banged up and scratched the original bezel is, the entire switchboard bezel is brand new and the piping is even a totally different shade of orange, even the cartridge slot and the power jack are all new. So no MaxSpeed there was never any polishing of the switches or repainting of the piping, everything with the exception of the top and bottom shell is 100% brand new parts.

Here is the list of parts I bought to totally restore my 6 switch Atari console, just so there is no further misunderstanding by others and ALL the parts are brand new, not rebuilt or factory remanufactured:

1981 6 Switch Atari 2600 parts

Atari US 2600 Power supply CO16353 / CA014034 $9.95

Atari 2600 / 2600A Round black Foam Dust covers CO10813 $.20 each

Atari 2600 complete US Switch board assembly CA012233 $12.00

Atari 2600 NTSC/US Populated Motherboard CA010434 $35.00

Atari 2600A and 2600 Upgrade Switch Static Foil Strips CO17294 $.50 each.

Atari 2600 angled 24 pin female Cartridge Connector $3.00

Atari 2600 / 2600A / 2600Jr Upgraded RF cable w/ RF suppressing Torrid CB101710 $5.00

Atari 2600 6-switch replacement bezel with the correct shade of orange piping and new overlay (instead of what someone painted onto the ORIGINAL bezel $10.00

Atari CX40 Upgrade Joystick Handle CO12116U $3.95

Atari CX40 (fits both styles) X Y Joystick PCB CA015396 $2.75

Atari CX40 Rubber Boot CO121109 $4.00

Atari CX40 Orange/Red Fire button CO12114 $1.25

Atari CX40 Fire button Spring CO12951 $.50

Atari CX40 6 conductor Joystick cable CA014058 $3.95

woah where did you get all the parts i can never find parts esp. power supplie

He probably got them from Best Electronics. They have a lot of new old stock Atari parts. As for power supplies, they are actually pretty easy to get, all they are is nine volt adapters at 500mA, and the Atari can take (theoretically) up to 35 volts. (I'd stick to 9 to 12 though...), and it only draws about 300 mA, so you can get away with a lower rated adapter. All you have to do is find an adapter that puts out about the right voltage and at least 400 mA to be on the safe side, cut the conector off, and solder on an 1/8" mini phono plug. (tip positive). Those original power supplies weren't always exactly nine volts anyway, I have seen some swing as high as 16 volts with load.

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...

Ian_Primus,

I don't know where you get that load of crap that something configured for 9 volts can take up to 35!!!! That is a crock and you know it, I bought a 9v 800mA ADAPT-A-PLUG adapter from radio shack on THEIR recommendation and it made my Atari 2600 catch on fire, which is WHY it needed the restoration to begin with because every resistor and capacitor on the board was fried due to a power mismatch and I HAD it being tip positive. And as for your theory that all the power adapters for the Atari 2600 were NOT 9v 500mA, that is also incorrect, I mean yes the other consoles like the 5200 and 7800 didn't have the same power output, but ALL the Atari 2600's operated with an adapter rating 9v 500mA, and unlike some other people's systems out there, mine maintains everything being all original seeing as all the Atari Parts are original issue with no modifications. And for those doing mods to Atari 2600 systems, I'd think twice before the next one is modified because if you look carefully on the bottom of each Atari 2600 console, they are issued an FCC ID number that is registered with the Federal Communications Commission, and if the FCC deems that these consoles are being operated within unsafe tolerances they can and WILL be confiscated and I got this from the FCC themselves because according to them because the equipment puts out an airborne RF signal, the FCC can pick up on that as well as continuously monitor usage of every Atari console that is out there which is what I was told by them, and if the FCC picks up on an Atari 2600 or any other console that is being operated under tolerances that are not part of the 2600's original design the consoles and anything pertaining TO the console will be confiscated and the operator severely fined and/or imprisoned. The same guidelines apply to CB radios as well, they cannot be modified in any way shape or form or the operator will be subject to a VERY extreme penalty if you don't believe that I can put up a scan from my CB manual that outlines any and ALL guidelines for all FCC governed electrical equipment, and just in case someone thinks to tell me that the FCC ID numbers assigned to the individual consoles are no longer in force THINK AGAIN, I checked the numbers of the consoles I have and if THEY are still in force and governed by FCC, so are the others so beware when you consider modifying your 2600 in any way and anyone thinking of purchasing a modified Atari 2600 system beware too because once modified they are considered illegal to operate by the FCC because the original design that was authorized by them has been altered and is now considered unsafe and a danger.

RichG1972

Here is the list of parts I bought to totally restore my 6 switch Atari console, just so there is no further misunderstanding by others and ALL the parts are brand new, not rebuilt or factory remanufactured:

1981 6 Switch Atari 2600 parts

Atari US 2600 Power supply CO16353 / CA014034  $9.95  

Atari 2600 / 2600A Round black Foam Dust covers  CO10813  $.20 each  

Atari 2600 complete US Switch board assembly CA012233  $12.00  

Atari 2600 NTSC/US Populated Motherboard CA010434 $35.00  

Atari 2600A and 2600 Upgrade Switch Static Foil Strips CO17294  $.50 each.  

Atari 2600 angled 24 pin female Cartridge Connector  $3.00  

Atari 2600 / 2600A / 2600Jr Upgraded RF cable w/ RF suppressing Torrid CB101710  $5.00

Atari 2600 6-switch replacement bezel with the correct shade of orange piping and new overlay (instead of what someone painted onto the ORIGINAL bezel  $10.00

Atari CX40 Upgrade Joystick Handle CO12116U $3.95

Atari CX40 (fits both styles) X Y Joystick PCB CA015396 $2.75

Atari CX40 Rubber Boot CO121109 $4.00

Atari CX40 Orange/Red Fire button CO12114 $1.25

Atari CX40 Fire button Spring CO12951 $.50

Atari CX40 6 conductor Joystick cable CA014058 $3.95

You spent too much $$$

It looks nice though

:evil:

Ian_Primus,

I don't know where you get that load of crap that something configured for 9 volts can take up to 35!!!!  That is a crock and you know it, I bought a 9v 800mA ADAPT-A-PLUG adapter from radio shack on THEIR recommendation and it made my Atari 2600 catch on fire, which is WHY it needed the restoration to begin with because every resistor and capacitor on the board was fried due to a power mismatch and I HAD it being tip positive.  And as for your theory that all the power adapters for the Atari 2600 were NOT 9v 500mA, that is also incorrect, I mean yes the other consoles like the 5200 and 7800 didn't have the same power output, but ALL the Atari 2600's operated with an adapter rating 9v 500mA, and unlike some other people's systems out there, mine maintains everything being all original seeing as all the Atari Parts are original issue with no modifications.  And for those doing mods to Atari 2600 systems, I'd think twice before the next one is modified because if you look carefully on the bottom of each Atari 2600 console, they are issued an FCC ID number that is registered with the Federal Communications Commission, and if the FCC deems that these consoles are being operated within unsafe tolerances they can and WILL be confiscated and I got this from the FCC themselves because according to them because the equipment puts out an airborne RF signal, the FCC can pick up on that as well as continuously monitor usage of every Atari console that is out there which is what I was told by them, and if the FCC picks up on an Atari 2600 or any other console that is being operated under tolerances that are not part of the 2600's original design the consoles and anything pertaining TO the console will be confiscated and the operator severely fined and/or imprisoned.  The same guidelines apply to CB radios as well, they cannot be modified in any way shape or form or the operator will be subject to a VERY extreme penalty if you don't believe that I can put up a scan from my CB manual that outlines any and ALL guidelines for all FCC governed electrical equipment, and just in case someone thinks to tell me that the FCC ID numbers assigned to the individual consoles are no longer in force THINK AGAIN, I checked the numbers of the consoles I have and if THEY are still in force and governed by FCC, so are the others so beware when you consider modifying your 2600 in any way and anyone thinking of purchasing a modified Atari 2600 system beware too because once modified they are considered illegal to operate by the FCC because the original design that was authorized by them has been altered and is now considered unsafe and a danger.

RichG1972

Rich--couple of things here:

(1) it's cool to do what you did I guess? so congrats on the restoration.

(2) did you eat lead paint chips as a kid?

you have no right to say anything about anyone who mods a box and that "load of crap" about the FCC police coming after anyone who mods a 2600 is stupid to say the least.

For the price vs/ what you have now I think it's too much money - but that's your call to make and if your happy with it, that's all that really matters...myself I wouldn't sink that much money into one on a refurb job.

You need to relax a little dude...

You spent 2 hours on a restoration? big deal. :twisted:

lmao

Mock :D